SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

2 hours ago, GFG said:

Serious question. What the hell happened to Grimaldi? I honestly thought he would greatly benefit moving up to play with teammates of a higher skill level. Seems like he's at the point now where he won't really see the NHL unless injuries force him to be called up.

Grimaldi has played more and has more points then Rau does in the NHL. Their pretty even in the AHL.

2015-16 AHL:

Grimaldi 36 games 10-14-24

Rau 48 games 17-10-27

I liked his work ethic, and he was fun to watch, but he was taken off the puck a little too easily to stick in the NHL, IMO.   You can be small in the modern game, but you better be a wizard in the offensive zone, including crowded areas, to make up for the size disadvantage in the defensive game.   

32 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Grimaldi has played more and has more points then Rau does in the NHL. Their pretty even in the AHL.

2015-16 AHL:

Grimaldi 36 games 10-14-24

Rau 48 games 17-10-27

Rau just made his NHL debut, so I would hope Grimaldi has more points than he does. They obviously have more hope for Rau at this moment than they do for Grimaldi if they brought him up instead. I know Grimaldi started the year in the NHL but they moved him down because of his lack of production. I was hoping somebody might have some insight as to whether it was a strength issue, talent issue, experience issue or whatever. I really thought he would be cracking the Panthers lineup nightly by now.

1 hour ago, GFG said:

Rau just made his NHL debut, so I would hope Grimaldi has more points than he does. They obviously have more hope for Rau at this moment than they do for Grimaldi if they brought him up instead. I know Grimaldi started the year in the NHL but they moved him down because of his lack of production. I was hoping somebody might have some insight as to whether it was a strength issue, talent issue, experience issue or whatever. I really thought he would be cracking the Panthers lineup nightly by now.

Good question GFG regarding Grimaldi.  No doubt a talented player but sort of an odd career at UND, seemed like he should of had way more points than he did I(I think so anyway).  Talented player (like a gnat at times) but his play was frustrating at times too.  Not sure if it's a size thing or what.  Yes, seemed to be very easy to knock hit off the puck but I'm no great hockey mind.        

10 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Good question GFG regarding Grimaldi.  No doubt a talented player but sort of an odd career at UND, seemed like he should of had way more points than he did I(I think so anyway).  Talented player (like a gnat at times) but his play was frustrating at times too.  Not sure if it's a size thing or what.  Yes, seemed to be very easy to knock hit off the puck but I'm no great hockey mind.        

He had a hard time finishing off the chances he created at UND. Kind of the anti-Boeser, who is a stone cold finisher.

7 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

He had a hard time finishing off the chances he created at UND. Kind of the anti-Boeser, who is a stone cold finisher.

And that's why Boeser was drafted a lot higher than Rocco.

Now if the question was what happened to Brian Lee, that's a more interesting topic, drafted higher than Zach Parise and almost everyone at number nine, and only playing two seasons at UND, but never panned out.

Rau starting a nhl game over rocco, and likely won't last long either, meh.

12 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Now if the question was what happened to Brian Lee, that's a more interesting topic, drafted higher than Zach Parise and almost everyone at number nine, and only playing two seasons at UND, but never panned out.

I'd say size had much more to do with Rocco's draft spot than his scoring ability. 

8 hours ago, GDPritch said:

I always wonder if the knee injury and surgery causing him to miss pretty much his entire freshman season really hurt his development. I was told the previous year playing for the U18 team that he was consistently the best player on the ice in games against NCAA competition. I didn't see it with my own eyes but was told by many who not only watched but played against him.

1 hour ago, snova4 said:

I don't know if I can bring myself to say that. He's one of the few players that I would like to literally punch in the face.

I wonder how he'd have turned out playing in GF?  I doubt Hak would've put up with the level of diving MN did encouraged.  Maybe would have developed further in other parts of his game?

21 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Chad > Kyle, IMO

But, I'm a little biased :)

I always thought that Chad was a good players. I think Kyle is an unlikable punk when he played for the Gophers. Almost as bad as Jacob C-Piss.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Cratter said:

I saw an article from the Panthers SBNation site last night touching on their prospects a bit. Their only knock on Rau is his size at this point. Their coach had some good things to say about him after his debut, including that he loved how Rau goes to the net despite his size. The writers there seem to think Grimaldi needed to work on his defensive game but that they're still very excited for him.

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2016/1/5/10704448/florida-panthers-prospect-round-up-nhl-2016

Edit: Rau actually looked good in the highlights of his debut game. I never really knew how he would perform in the NHL, to be honest. But he made some good plays, was noticeable and screened the goalie for the 2nd goal. Looks like Smith actually asked Rau if he tipped it after it went in :lol:https://www.nhl.com/panthers/video/panthers-top-jets-3-1/t-277437408/c-41651603

On 2/23/2016 at 6:18 PM, GFG said:

What the hell happened to Grimaldi? 

On 2/23/2016 at 6:27 PM, Cratter said:

Too Short?

On 2/23/2016 at 6:38 PM, GFG said:

Height isn't quite as much of a factor as it used

2 hours ago, GFG said:

Their only knock on Rau is his size at this point.

14 minutes ago, Cratter said:

They didn't say his size was holding him back at all if you actually read it. The talent analysis they quoted has zero negative things to say about him and actually says he plays a tough, physical game despite his small frame. The blog writer, without ever seeing him play, is the one who said he may be able to benefit his rookie season by playing in the AHL to get used to the physicality more. 

The NHL is moving away from the super physical play style of its past, allowing smaller players to excel more than they ever could before. Of course this doesn't matter if the smaller player is weak or can't handle basic physical play (Looking at you Mikael Granlund :angry:).

Just now, Cratter said:

You have a guy saying Rau's size matters.

Rocco is two inches shorter than Rau.

Size will always play a factor in sports.

That is all.

I suppose Rocco's size probably affects him more because he's not at all a physical player. It makes it difficult to play him as a 3rd or 4th line Forward when he struggles defensively and can't be physical. He basically needs to be a top 6 forward, whereas Rau's skill set allows him to play as a 3rd or 4th liner despite his size. I really do think Grimaldi is going to be a regular for the Panthers eventually. His offensive skills are too good for him not to be.

• Upvote 2