SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

Haven't seen this posted yet.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-hockey-has-lost-fun-and-fans/367127531/

The Big Ten has accelerated the decline in Gophers hockey interest, for sure, but the falloff was taking place before that, and here’s my reason:

It’s no fun anymore.

Gophers hockey has gone from being part of a cult of amiable characters to another sports business with onerous pricing.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Interesting article from USCHO. I think they have the wrong guy in charge of the B1G.

http://www.uscho.com/2016/02/10/big-tens-traviolia-weighs-in-on-fan-frustrations-attendance-leagues-future-plans/

Traviola doesn't belong in college hockey. It seems a lot like college hockey is a bunch of "small businesses" and the B1G is showing up on be scene like a corporate giant trying to play ball but trampling all over the thing. 

23 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

huh? I guess I'm not following. He's a senior this year....hes dominated his freshman, soph, and junior years. Not sure your example is apples to apples.

Maybe not but my point was he was a "human highlight reel since age 12" (as the poster posted) and now not doing very well as a college senior.  Maybe just a slump (albeit, nearly half a season) in his sr season.  8 pts in 16 games is certainly a slump, guessing he hopes that's all it is.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:28 PM, siouxfaninseattle said:

Interesting article from USCHO. I think they have the wrong guy in charge of the B1G.

http://www.uscho.com/2016/02/10/big-tens-traviolia-weighs-in-on-fan-frustrations-attendance-leagues-future-plans/

It looks like the B1G thought that their member schools brought the fans to the WCHA and CCHA tournaments when in reality it wasn't true.

“Coming from a non-hockey background, it’s kind of hard for me to imagine a fan in the state of Minnesota who wouldn’t be excited to see a Michigan or a Michigan State come in to play,” he said. “I recognize and acknowledge that significant rivalries developed over the years in the previous leagues, and that’s fine."

The B1G is going to find out next year when Mariucci Arena is sold out and packed when UND comes back, verses games against all of the other B1G schools.

“In a perfect world, we’d have great national success in the early years of Big Ten hockey and it’d be perceived by the vast majority as the greatest move ever,” Traviolia said. “Those things didn’t coincide. I understand that there is some frustration from the various fan bases that see the alignment of Big Ten hockey with the lack of national success that some of our programs are used to having and equate the two.

“I don’t equate the two at all. I think it’s a little bit of a timing coincidence and I’m very confident that our programs that are used to having success, it’ll come back and it will be there. They won’t be down on this end of the cycle much longer.”

I really don't think he know what he's talking about and I don't agree with him on the last part. The B1G will stay the same with 2 teams way better then the other 4. Until the B1G expanses to 8 or 10 teams I expect 1 maybe 2 teams making the NCAA's each year. Lets face it Ohio State is never getting back to the NCAA's unless and act of "God" happens and Wisconsin and Michigan State need new head coaches at the end of the season to fix those programs.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, cberkas said:

“Coming from a non-hockey background, it’s kind of hard for me to imagine a fan in the state of Minnesota who wouldn’t be excited to see a Michigan or a Michigan State come in to play,” he said. “I recognize and acknowledge that significant rivalries developed over the years in the previous leagues, and that’s fine."

It is this statement that makes me think he has no clue.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

It is this statement that makes me think he has no clue.

This tells me no one in the B1G has any idea what they are doing.

Traviolia said after saying that everyone involved with hockey at the Big Ten offices is still learning about college hockey.

27 minutes ago, krustyklown said:

Watching CBSSN, first game of their doubleheader tonight - WMU @ UNO.  Broadcasting voices sound like, John Buccigross + Pierre McGuire, to me.

Upon further review, someone named Jim.  Jim Paradise perhaps.

It's Paradise, he's one of the better ones that do games just like Casey Hankinson when he did Gopher games.