SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

24 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I think because this is a non conference game, they can do 20 min OT.

That still doesn't answer the issue it brings up. Why would they get a 20 minute OT to decide a game when all other non conference games are 5 minute OTs? If I had to guess, I'd guess only a deciding goal in the first 5 minutes would be recorded as a win in the PWR and everything after 5 would be a tie. It is an interesting question tho so wondering if anyone can confirm.

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

That still doesn't answer the issue it brings up. Why would they get a 20 minute OT to decide a game when all other non conference games are 5 minute OTs? If I had to guess, I'd guess only a deciding goal in the first 5 minutes would be recorded as a win in the PWR and everything after 5 would be a tie. It is an interesting question tho so wondering if anyone can confirm.

The NSCC title game does 20 minute overtimes until there is a winner.

1 hour ago, runaroundsioux said:

It's a tournament. They'll do 20 minute overtimes til the cows come home. Someone has to win.

Yep....you're correct....and has nothing to do with it being a nonconference game. It counts as a win in the PWR, just as a win in the conference tournaments counts as a win in the PWR....UNLESS its decided by a shootout.( ex. third place game of NCHC tournament)

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/IH16.pdf

Rule 91.4. Explanations can usually be found in the rule book.

10 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Because IT'S A TOURNAMENT.( BC and BU are in the same conference:wink:)

8 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Because IT'S A TOURNAMENT.( BC and BU are in the same conference:wink:)

But that TOURNAMENT game has national implications.  Why do they have 80 minutes to decide a game when every other game only has 65? I understand a tournament needs to keep playing to decide a winner but should it have national implications beyond what other games get? I feel like I'm not getting my point across. ???

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

But that TOURNAMENT game has national implications.  Why do they have 80 minutes to decide a game when every other game only has 65? I understand a tournament needs to keep playing to decide a winner but should it have national implications beyond what other games get? I feel like I'm not getting my point across. ???

Are you sure it doesn't officially go down as a tie after 65?

6 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

What ever happened to Kevin Roy?  That kid has been a human highlight reel since he was 12 years old.  He's shredded every league he's ever played in and now he has 8 pts in 16 games as a senior.  Super strange.

The problem of playing at Northeastern with no one as talented on your team.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

What ever happened to Kevin Roy?  That kid has been a human highlight reel since he was 12 years old.  He's shredded every league he's ever played in and now he has 8 pts in 16 games as a senior.  Super strange.

No different than that U.S. soccer player who was a prodigy like at age 15 (Freddie Adue, the supposed next Pele)  yet never became anything special at the pro level as an adult.  Same as with many teenage female pro tennis players of years past.  Reach their highest level/burn out at an early age.  Thought Michelle Wie (sp?) was going to be in that group too although she's been quite successful as a pro (dominating though, no).

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

The problem of playing at Northeastern with no one as talented on your team.

I don't know about that, they've been avg at best since he was a freshman and that has never stopped him. He's avg half a point per game. That's really bad.

1 hour ago, GDPritch said:

No different than that U.S. soccer player who was a prodigy like at age 15 (Freddie Adue, the supposed next Pele)  yet never became anything special at the pro level as an adult.  Same as with many teenage female pro tennis players of years past.  Reach their highest level/burn out at an early age.  Thought Michelle Wie (sp?) was going to be in that group too although she's been quite successful as a pro (dominating though, no).

huh? I guess I'm not following. He's a senior this year....hes dominated his freshman, soph, and junior years. Not sure your example is apples to apples.

How times can change in the world of college hockey:   Maine, MSU and CC 47-49 in the PW; Q at 1; Harvard, Yale. and Penn St. in top ten; and Minnesota at 22. 

One thing never changes, of course.   The Team Formerly Known as Sioux right there in the top 4. 

• Upvote 3