SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

I would love for them to join the NCHC, but I could see the WCHA happening.  I could see them winning less than 5 conference games a year for the first 5 years if they joined the NCHC.  They could probably win at least a few more in the WCHA.

10 minutes ago, Goon said:

If you listen to the great hockey minds, they're head to the Big Ten. We'll see. 

I agree with you.  B1G makes all the sense in the world for that program when you think about it.  Their alumni can get behind a team playing Michigan and Penn State...but Ferris State and Fairbanks?  Not so much.

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

I would love for them to join the NCHC, but I could see the WCHA happening.  I could see them winning less than 5 conference games a year for the first 5 years if they joined the NCHC.  They could probably win at least a few more in the WCHA.

I know there are lots of variables, but wouldn't the addition of a basement dweller pretty much assure that NCHC goes from a four-bid league to three?

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I know there are lots of variables, but wouldn't the addition of a basement dweller pretty much assure that NCHC goes from a four-bid league to three?

I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather the NCHC not take anyone else. Things are really good right now. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Goon said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather the NCHC not take anyone else. Things are really good right now. 

I agree with this. Not sure what a team that will be a bottom dweller, looking to leave, brings to the conference besides a name.

All three potential conferences have pros and cons....

Big Ten:
Pros:  Name brand recognition; like schools
Cons:  Travel

NCHC:
Pros:  Denver and CC are the closest proximity schools of any of the three interested conferences; Quality of league play
Cons:  Diffuculty in attaining wins; mostly no-name schools to those in Arizona

WCHA: 
Pros:  Easiest Schedule
Cons:  Travel; Poor brand-name recognition with conference foes

I think them joining the Big Ten and playing a non-conference schedule that included Denver, CC, and Air Force regularly would make the most sense.  As cool as it is for ASU to have hockey, they have an uphill battle to become competitive.  This isn't Penn State 2.0.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised to see ASU in the NCHC. If they're not going B1G it'll be extremely interesting to see what the conference does for their next team...I know some people have said Omaha, but I'm not sure. I feel like if they've stopped going after ASU they're going to go after a big name program in the sport that Omaha just doesn't meet in my eyes. They wouldn't be a bad add to the conference, but at this point I feel like the only way they'll consider another affiliate is if it's a program well known in hockey.

Notre Dame will be a full time B1G member soon IMO, considering some of the rumors about it that are out there (some rumors say as early as this summer along with 5 other big time ACC schools). The B1G's next TV deal (this does not even include BTN) is going to be big enough that every B1G school will be receiving money that dwarfs what Notre Dame makes from NBC. They each already make about $10million more per year than Notre Dame from BTN alone and that's about to increase big time, supposedly between $40-70million yearly for every B1G school...Notre Dame receives about $15million yearly. It's only a matter of time before Notre Dame gives in because they'll be getting more than double the TV money in the B1G that they get with NBC. 

***Side note: If the rumors about Notre Dame, Duke, North Carolina, Florida State, Virginia and Georgia Tech joining the B1G in all sports turns out to be true I can't even begin to fathom the TV revenue the B2G conference will bring in. The rumor is that all of them could join the conference this summer, with FSU being first, due to them being upset with very small TV revenue and ESPN not starting up the ACC Network they promised for at least another 2 years due to the company hemorrhaging much money the last few years. I personally don't think it'll end up happening, but those are the rumors and they would really shake things up. Although maybe the extremely large and very short TV deal the conference is getting is due to them knowing something we don't know...