SiouxSports.com Forum

REA Banners

MafiaMan

The Betty has this for basketball teams. Execution is slightly lacking since they didn't redo the banners to be uniform, they just used the original ones so it looks a little sloppy. I am in favor of the idea though, especially since the new ones at the REA will vary from the ones currently hanging.

Lots of talk this weekend about banners hanging from the rafters so I'm creating a new thread for something that's bothered me ever since REA opened: The NCAA championship banners that all display the Ben Brien logo and NOT the era-specific logo for when the championship was won.

A new 2014-2015 NCHC Conference Champions banner will be raised to the rafters next fall. It will no doubt be the first without the Brien logo and instead display the interlocking ND logo. It's time to change these across the board, especially the NCAA championship banners. Sure, it looks nice and neat with all 7 banners displaying the same logo, but it's not historically accurate. And it's time to honor the past and change that, not slap the Brien logo (and it's a great one, don't get me wrong) on all 7 banners and call it a day.

Someday new and much younger fans will look back and wonder about the history of the program, the jerseys, the coaches, and, yes, the "old" nickname and the logos. I'm sure a quick phone call to Chicago would result in permission to use the Blackhawk logo for 1980, 1982, and 1987, not to mention a few MacNaughton Cup Champions banners, so the rest of them, from the 1950's thru this season, should be a piece of cake.

It's time, REA, and it's time, UND. Honor the history of all of the past logos and get them on brand-new banners.

I always wondered what your thought was on that after how you didn't like how the Vancouver Canucks used the new logo and colors when they retired Pavel Bure's number. I'd like to see the banners have the logo that was used the each year they hung a banner. How did the banners look in the old REA (logo wise)?

I always wondered what your thought was on that after how you didn't like how the Vancouver Canucks used the new logo and colors when they retired Pavel Bure's number. I'd like to see the banners have the logo that was used the each year they hung a banner. How did the banners look in the old REA (logo wise)?

If memory serves me correctly, they were all geometric logo banners, even though that logo was also not around for 2, if not 3 of the NCAA championships. Even back in 1988-1992, I wondered why they weren't historically accurate. I do have a picture somewhere from the 1997 banner-raising weekend - will have to see if I can find that and post it here.

I've got a picture of all the old geometric banners somewhere

UQKUWERQIGPAVYD.20100804180344.jpg

Very tough to see in this picture but you can see 3 of the NCAA championship banners hanging down from the rafters in the top left to right of the picture.  The banners appear to be green with the large white geometric logo and words below that.  

I have always thought this as well.  I don't see why this couldn't be done.  And we are supposed to use the old logo to maintain copyright control over it, so that is another good reason.

Also, all these photos of the Old Ralph make me nostalgic all over again! :love:

I think the new Ralph is cursed. They should tear it down and rebuild the old ralph in its place everything from the seats to the old concession area. :love:

I think the new Ralph is cursed. They should tear it down and rebuild the old ralph in its place everything from the seats to the old concession area. :love:

If you're going crazy talk: Are you sure the Ben Brien logo isn't what's cursed. 

• 5 months later...

Lots of talk this weekend about banners hanging from the rafters so I'm creating a new thread for something that's bothered me ever since REA opened: The NCAA championship banners that all display the Ben Brien logo and NOT the era-specific logo for when the championship was won.

A new 2014-2015 NCHC Conference Champions banner will be raised to the rafters next fall. It will no doubt be the first without the Brien logo and instead display the interlocking ND logo. It's time to change these across the board, especially the NCAA championship banners. Sure, it looks nice and neat with all 7 banners displaying the same logo, but it's not historically accurate. And it's time to honor the past and change that, not slap the Brien logo (and it's a great one, don't get me wrong) on all 7 banners and call it a day.

Someday new and much younger fans will look back and wonder about the history of the program, the jerseys, the coaches, and, yes, the "old" nickname and the logos. I'm sure a quick phone call to Chicago would result in permission to use the Blackhawk logo for 1980, 1982, and 1987, not to mention a few MacNaughton Cup Champions banners, so the rest of them, from the 1950's thru this season, should be a piece of cake.

It's time, REA, and it's time, UND. Honor the history of all of the past logos and get them on brand-new banners.

And so the first "ND" banner is raised to the rafters tonight.  Now FIX THE OTHER ONES!