SiouxSports.com Forum

Submitted Nicknames

darell1976

So the process consultant brought in did what, exactly? 

The impression I had is the consultant to the committee is there to provide input regarding the marketability of a name/logo, and not to provide input on the process to select one.

I don't think some of you understand the definition of unique. 

Big Cocks, Gleeful Peacocks, and Fighting Hamsters are all unique but doesn't make them worth consideration. 

The impression I had is the consultant to the committee is there to provide input regarding the marketability of a name/logo, and not to provide input on the process to select one.

http://und.edu/news/2014/09/nickname-logo-task-force.cfm

The University of North Dakota has announced the formation of a Task Force to participate in the development of a process for the potential adoption of a new nickname and logo

I don't always make stuff up...a lot, but not always.  

I don't think some of you understand the definition of unique. 

Just like all job descriptions are seldom met by applicants,  I would bet that the nickname picked will not meet all of the criteria they set. In fact, I think we might be asking why more of the criteria weren't met, especially if it is something lame like the Gleeful Peacocks. 

Just like all job descriptions are seldom met by applicants, I would bet that the nickname picked will not meet all of the criteria they set. In fact, I think we might be asking why more of the criteria weren't met, especially if it is something lame like the Gleeful Peacocks.

If we are the Gleeful Peacocks will we have a TV deal with NBC?

If we are the Gleeful Peacocks will we have a TV deal with NBC?

Better yet, let's be true capitalists and sell the nickname rights. We could be:

The North Dakota Verizon Fighting V's

The North Dakota Freaks - Freaky Fast and sponsored by Jimmy Johns

The North Dakota Budweiser Storming Clydesdales - Unique and representative of UND!

The North Dakota Grinders - Sponsored by the Red Pepper

Sell the rights for 5 years at a time. New revenue to support the school and new merchandise sales every few years from people having to keep up with the new logos.

• Upvote 1

I submitted:

1.  Roughriders.   I think it's associated with the state and should be used for a nickname,

2.  Flickertails.  I'm going to catch he// for this....but, I thought about it and I believe that it follows with tradition and is also representative of the state.

However, I am holding out for the Screaming Weasels.

• Upvote 2

Two of the most important attributes laid out by the committee in the first survey that is mentioned on the new survey are 

1. Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND’s.
  2. Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future.

The best name that fits both these criteria is "Nokota."  No other school, or team in the world, has that that name and logo for a nickname.  There are tons of Warriors, Jets, Flyers, even Roughriders.  But there would be only one Nokota (or Nokes).  Also, this is our state horse.  It is representative of the state.  Nokota are unique to North Dakota.  One of the many thinkgs that made "Fighting Sioux" such a great name is that is was unique and it honored the heritage of our state.  Nokota does both of these as well.  And is why I suubmitted it as my suggestion.

• Upvote 2

Just like all job descriptions are seldom met by applicants,  I would bet that the nickname picked will not meet all of the criteria they set. In fact, I think we might be asking why more of the criteria weren't met, especially if it is something lame like the Gleeful Peacocks. 

Some of the criteria is pretty subjective, but I hope uniqueness is one of the criteria they adhere to.  I'm not saying that the nickname can't be used by any other team on the face of the Earth, but can't we do better than copying the nickname of the closest NHL team? I get an aviation themed nickname, but there are other options that are more unique.

Better yet, let's be true capitalists and sell the nickname rights. We could be:

The North Dakota Verizon Fighting V's

The North Dakota Freaks - Freaky Fast and sponsored by Jimmy Johns

The North Dakota Budweiser Storming Clydesdales - Unique and representative of UND!

The North Dakota Grinders - Sponsored by the Red Pepper

Sell the rights for 5 years at a time. New revenue to support the school and new merchandise sales every few years from people having to keep up with the new logos.

they have been a lot worse names thrown around than Grinders or Storming Clydesdales in my mind.

I like Roughriders and Jets a lot simply because I think you could create some great logos with those. I don't think having the Red River Roughriders or the Winnipeg Jets hurts either name, if anything it actual helps it because there is already a little familiarity in the area with those names. No one outside of Grand Forks thinks Red River high school when they hear Roughriders so the market for that name is wide open. There are others that are good, but I like those best of the names if heard thrown out.

Maybe, but don't you think what the people in Grand Forks thinks kind of matters?  I won't go on my Roughriders rant again, except to say we can do better than stealing the nickname of the local high school team.  Great nickname if Red River HS hadn't taken it first.  But they did.  Let's move on.

I submitted:

1.  Roughriders.   I think it's associated with the state and should be used for a nickname,

2.  Flickertails.  I'm going to catch he// for this....but, I thought about it and I believe that it follows with tradition and is also representative of the state.

However, I am holding out for the Screaming Weasels.

It already is.  In the same state....and in the same city.  Let's move on from that one.

for everyone to put their top two choices i wish they would put what they think their/the logo would be because it has to make und money or else it is pretty much useless....for my two picks the fighting norse the logo would be a viking profile (minus the horns) and for the nokotas a horse head profile. so for names like the badlanders, blizzard, spirit, and warriors what would your logo be?

Regarding Badlanders, where was TR's ranch? Think of it as Rough Riders, only more pertinent to the state and without the duplication issue with RRHS.

the Elkhorn ranch is about 20 miles north of medora

It was a rhetorical question - the point I was trying to make (rather badly, apparently), was that whatever logo that could be used for Rough Riders, could also be used for Badlanders - and the name would be more pertinent to the state and would not be a duplication of RRHS.

Taking into account it must be unique, represent the college and the area, I submitted:

Airmen - thought this was a name that could work out, especially when I read the Air Force's Airman's Creed:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airman%27s_Creed  I think this would be quite fitting of what we want UND sports to represent.

Aeronauts - a very unique name.  I prefer Airmen much more, but was trying to find another name for "pilot" that was unique among college nicknames as Flyers is already taken.  I also like Aviators, but prefer these names.

For those suggesting Rough Riders, just a head's up that it is not unique.  It is currently used by a community college in Arizona.   I truly believe the committee will only consider unique names.

Here is a current list for anyone interested:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_sports_team_nicknames

Are you saying unique to colleges, or unique period?  I would bet that it isn't totally unique, and if it is, I would guess that it won't be inspiring or representative of the state.  Badlanders is unique, but would people deem it inspiring?