SiouxSports.com Forum

Speed Limit Up to 80 in SD

NoiseInsideMyHead

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/s-d-highway-patrol-to-strictly-enforce-new-mph-speed/article_ff709a85-ba4e-576f-99e2-0493a415b7a1.html

Anybody else know this was coming?

I found this quote from the article to be…um, interesting:

Personally, Schmidt said, she drives 78 mph on the interstate and doesn’t think she’ll drive any faster.

“If you blow a tire or hit a deer at 80 mph that’s not a good thing,” she said.

Because those extra 2 mph really do make a difference.

Yeah I had saw that they were considering it a while ago.  I hope Montana does the same thing.  North Dakota should too.  In other speed limit news, Wisconsin is considering moving theirs up to 70mph.  

Montana wants to raise the speed limit to 85.

I was kind of curious about the higher speed limits since a lot of OEM and lower-end car tires aren't rated for higher speeds and the temperatures they can generate.

That and the fact most new vehicles mpg's drop about 30% when driving 80 instead of 55. I'm surprised the federal government is allowing speed limits into the 80's rather than pushing to have them lowered.

M rated donut spares are rated for 81 mph.  Family sedan ratings are typically around 112 mph sustained speed.

And that assumes your tires are perfectly balanced, your alignment is good and they're properly inflated, and the road is smooth. 

Iowa just raised its gas tax, and then attempted to raise the limit on some stretches of road.  Higher speed limits mean more dollars for the tax collector ...

And that assumes your tires are perfectly balanced, your alignment is good and they;re properly infated, and the road is smooth. 

Iowa just raised its gas tax, and then attempted to raise the limit on some stretches of road.  Higher speed limits mean more dollars for the tax collector ...

Ahhh...So there is a method to the madness?