SiouxSports.com Forum

Predict the New Nickname

GeauxSioux

I think it will be Roughriders. I know its Red River's but with Teddy Roosevelt and the whole image, it may be a popular choice.

That would be so lame.  The best they can come up with is to copy the nickname of the local high school?   That would be terrible.  

Good nickname?  Sure, but not only has it been used but by a local school.

• 2 weeks later...

If they're marketing savvy, they'll go with Ermines. It links to the state, matches UND's brand of being a tough, high-energy school that punches more than its weight, and it's completely unique and original.

92814551.IPfpIZK3.ermine5.jpg

How do you even say it?

Yes, exactly. A very tough weasel that is a high-energy whirling dervish of destruction. Pound for pound, it's the toughest creature in the state assuming that we don't have mantis shrimp in some aquarium somewhere.

I thought fishers always held that title?

I thought fishers always held that title?

Hmm, that's beyond my expertise to make the call.  But we're talking about marketing, and fisher will have a lot of name confusion.  Plus, it doesn't work with a white color scheme (which hopefully doesn't raise charges about color sensitivity).

I think the ermine can represent both itself and the fisher.  And as far as I can tell, there's no other team called the Ermines anywhere in the country.  How often can a college claim a mascot that is marketable, fierce, AND completely unique?

If they're marketing savvy, they'll go with Ermines.  It links to the state, matches UND's brand of being a tough, high-energy school that punches more than its weight, and it's completely unique and original.

92814551.IPfpIZK3.ermine5.jpg

Find one with a gopher in its mouth and you've got me. 

• Upvote 1