SiouxSports.com Forum

Predict the New Nickname

GeauxSioux

We are approaching the end of the road on this issue and I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought the nickname would be.  Not what you want it to be, but what you think will be a consensus type pick.

I am thinking that Nodaks will be the name that shakes out of all of this.

Why?  There is no overwhelming other choice.  They are already have Nodak Nation in place.  It is unique.

I have no idea what it will be. I will however predict that i think it will suck, and most people will not like it.

Thank goodness we have alumns willing to participate in what to some is a no-win situation. Do you have any nicknames other than FIghting Sioux and No Nickname that won't "suck" in your mind?

I have no idea what it will be. I will however predict that i think it will suck, and most people will not like it.

Anything compared to Fighting Sioux will suck, but compare the new name to nothing (which is what we have now) and some people may see a little less suckyness in it. Its what happened with GFC, that long period in between nicknames ( I never really accepted Maroon and Grey as a nickname) helped make the transition of a new name better, because it wasn't Knights vs Redskins, it was Knights vs Maroon and Grey. 

I wish people would take ten minutes to learn about who the Rough Riders were, and where they were from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_Riders

Thanks.   Now, what is it that draws people to this name?   Is it the dysentery?  The Malaria?   The Yellow Fever?  

Maybe it's the tragic comedy of errors their trip to Cuba involved, namely the part about leaving their horses and a 1/4 of their men at home?    

Is it perhaps the closeness we as North Dakotans feel to volunteer cavalry men from Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas?

ND Tourism has done a fine job rewriting history and making people believe the Rough Riders actually had something to do with North Dakota.  They didn't.   They had a Colonel, from New York, who later became President, who had a cattle ranch here, and made comments about how much he loved North Dakota.  That's it.   That's the only albeit loose, connection. 

I would prefer we stay with no nickname.   But if a new name is chosen that attempts to represent North Dakota, I would hope it would at least be factual and an accurate representation of our history.

• Upvote 3

ND Tourism has done a fine job rewriting history and making people believe the Rough Riders actually had something to do with North Dakota.  They didn't.   They had a General, from New York, who later became President, who had a cattle ranch here, and made comments about how much he loved North Dakota.  That's it.   That's the only albeit loose, connection. 

Teddy was a colonel, not a general. ;) 

And Teddy was probably this State's greatest advocate ever. People who follow his lead and love for North Dakota would probably take on the name he gave to his followers. 

University of North Dakota Ship Burners

You mean like a Vandal? Somebody has that I think...I'm guessing that some form of Norse will be included. I don't hate Outlaws or Nokes either....most of the rest of the stuff I've heard falls into the Suck category.

Teddy was a colonel, not a general. ;) 

And Teddy was probably this State's greatest advocate ever. People who follow his lead and love for North Dakota would probably take on the name he gave to his followers.

UND Teddies? The Roosies?

I wish people would take ten minutes to learn about who the Rough Riders were, and where they were from.

Thanks.   Now, what is it that draws people to this name?   Is it the dysentery?  The Malaria?   The Yellow Fever?  

Maybe it's the tragic comedy of errors their trip to Cuba involved, namely the part about leaving their horses and a 1/4 of their men at home?    

Is it perhaps the closeness we as North Dakotans feel to volunteer cavalry men from Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas?

ND Tourism has done a fine job rewriting history and making people believe the Rough Riders actually had something to do with North Dakota.  They didn't.   They had a General, from New York, who later became President, who had a cattle ranch here, and made comments about how much he loved North Dakota.  That's it.   That's the only albeit loose, connection. 

I would prefer we stay with no nickname.   But if a new name is chosen that attempts to represent North Dakota, I would hope it would at least be factual and an accurate representation of our history.

So you're saying that Saskatchewan shouldn't have that nickname.   Can't believe some people name their schools Washington or Lincoln, when they don't have any ties to North Dakota.  It is a nickname, not a life and death matter, and the image of a cowboy type figure certainly ties to North Dakota more than some nicknames tie to other regions.  

"The Rough Riders were mostly made of college athletes, cowboys, ranchers, miners, and other outdoorsmen.

I think we may have something here!! :)

So you're saying that Saskatchewan shouldn't have that nickname.   Can't believe some people name their schools Washington or Lincoln, when they don't have any ties to North Dakota.  It is a nickname, not a life and death matter, and the image of a cowboy type figure certainly ties to North Dakota more than some nicknames tie to other regions.  

No, that's not what I said or was referring to.  People are trying to come up with a nickname that relates to the history or heritage of North Dakota.   Rough Riders doesn't. 

In a different but related vein, I can't imagine spending countless hours and mucho bucks to get all these committees together with distinguished alumni and marketing professionals, and then end up with the local high school's nickname.      

Thank goodness we have alumns willing to participate in what to some is a no-win situation. Do you have any nicknames other than FIghting Sioux and No Nickname that won't "suck" in your mind?

UND Fighting Sous Chefs.

Have the Swedish Chef from the muppets as the mascot.