SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-16 Looking Ahead

niouxsiouxfan

Hooker, Crandall, Seales. Three main guards. McDermott can go right away then, and Benton can spell the three when needed. Possibly bring in a JUCO player, but I think you go get another guard from different school that may want to come here. The three guards will likely see close to 35min each. Probably start the three together and rotate off them during game so they end up playing together beginning and ends of halves in major stretches. Lots of problems created having three athletic guards that can get to the hoop, as well as being able to create for their teammates.

Let Tyler's explanation/story come out.  Respect the young man for his decision.

niouxsiouxfan, on 25 Mar 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:niouxsiouxfan, on 25 Mar 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

Hooker, Crandall, Seales. Three main guards. McDermott can go right away then, and Benton can spell the three when needed. Possibly bring in a JUCO player, but I think you go get another guard from different school that may want to come here. The three guards will likely see close to 35min each. Probably start the three together and rotate off them during game so they end up playing together beginning and ends of halves in major stretches. Lots of problems created having three athletic guards that can get to the hoop, as well as being able to create for their teammates.

Let Tyler's explanation/story come out.  Respect the young man for his decision.

If you get a guard from a different school they will have to sit out a year under transfer rules unless it is a JuCo kid.

Agree on the Tyler part.

If you get a guard from a different school they will have to sit out a year under transfer rules unless it is a JuCo kid.

Agree on the Tyler part.

Also agree on the Tyler part if its what I think it is. I've met him and he is a very nice young man who represented the school well. I hope this is all wrong and he will be in green and white next year, but if not I enjoyed watching him play. 

Also agree on the Tyler part if its what I think it is. I've met him and he is a very nice young man who represented the school well. I hope this is all wrong and he will be in green and white next year, but if not I enjoyed watching him play. 

Agree 100% about Tyler.  He is the one player I hate to see leave cause he does bring the most and can score in punches.

Regarding NDSU game being held at REA.  The coaches would like to see it and it could help recruiting even more.  We as fans have to email the athletic department and even Coach Jones (to help him push for it), stating the fact that we would show up and support the team in large numbers at REA. I have emailed stating my interest in a game there and that I would buy a number of tickets.  If anyone has an inside line to Tom Miller, get him on it!  Need to post links to emails?

East Tennessee State board is predicting that Shay will be joining Steve Forbes' new staff down there.  Forbes was an assistant at Wichita.  Him and Shay worked together at JuCo Northwest Florida and were both on Pearl's staff at Tennessee.

East Tennessee State board is predicting that Shay will be joining Steve Forbes' new staff down there. Forbes was an assistant at Wichita. Him and Shay worked together at JuCo Northwest Florida and were both on Pearl's staff at Tennessee.

Wouldn't shock me if this went down.

East Tennessee State board is predicting that Shay will be joining Steve Forbes' new staff down there. Forbes was an assistant at Wichita. Him and Shay worked together at JuCo Northwest Florida and were both on Pearl's staff at Tennessee.

Don't blame him for leaving; everyone else is doing it.

Shay tired of working for the peanuts paid out by North Dakotas flag ship University

Faison has shown if a coach or staff earns a bump in pay, he'll provide it.  Just like the real world, you don't get a bump in pay without results.

• Upvote 2

If he really wants to go he will.  Especially if he has connections with another coach.  Admin should be talking to everyone including players, and they would find out if they want him to stay or not.  If they wanted him to stay, then get him more money. This happens often if they value him as an assistant. However, if they dont feel he fits in well, then keep the money and look for a better/different assistant coach.

Always got the feeling Shay was using this job as a stepping stone to get away from the shadow of the NCAA violations. It was never going to be a long term thing.

Agree, however how much of a stepping stone can it be to go from UND to East Tennessee state. ETSU was the 5th place team in the SoCon, 2 games above .500 on the season. Would like to think a flagship school could pay their assistants better than a directional school from a poor BBall conference. Just another illustration as to how our administration values our Bball program.

• Upvote 1

Agree, however how much of a stepping stone can it be to go from UND to East Tennessee state. ETSU was the 5th place team in the SoCon, 2 games above .500 on the season. Would like to think a flagship school could pay their assistants better than a directional school from a poor BBall conference. Just another illustration as to how our administration values our Bball program.

Again, I will wait to judge what our program is willing to pay when our current staff earns a salary increase or our current staff is replaced.  Right now we don't just pay more to the current staff because everyone else is doing it. 

Again, I will wait to judge what our program is willing to pay when our current staff earns a salary increase or our current staff is replaced. Right now we don't just pay more to the current staff because everyone else is doing it.

I think it's fair to say that UND athletics and Faison do not have financial resources to buy out Jones right now (at least not without cutting the hockey expenses some), so what indicates Faison would even be able to increase the coaching salary for MBB? I would like to think it is possible for UND to increase the MBB coaching salary pool by at least 50k, but that requires some commitment from Faison and the business operations, and I'm not too sure that exists right now.

ETSU only had basketball as a revenue sport, but they are restarting football this fall. I live near ETSU, and nearly every business around ETSU sports "Go Bucs" or "Go ETSU" signs for fifty miles around it. That's more people than ND. ETSU has nice facilities on campus, their building a new outdoor football stadium, their President believes in athletics, and it not just a directional school. ETSU has a med school and it wants to be the equivalent of U of Memphis (which used to be WTSU). The other thing is Shay has all the contacts with Tennessee and SE HS coaches.

ETSU fans and their admin expect to make the dance often, as they have done in the past. Losing seasons are not an option. Their previous President dropped football, which caused the Southern Conference to kick them out, so they had to join the Atlantic Sun. Same crap that UAB is going through. ETSU is rebuilding what they had.

Jones will have immense difficulty replacing Shay with a quality assistant. The writing is on the wall.

Absolutely. The inevitable will occur next year this time and it's just an absolute shame that UND and Faison have to wait and subject the program to another losing season.