SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-16 Looking Ahead

niouxsiouxfan

The only thing extreme is the worthless drivel that Jones should be fired last season ...Worthless drivel proven wrong.... I was right!  Extremely stupid to use overall records for a Low D1 team that plays mostly road games in NC. schedule thank goodness the people in charge at UND are not stupid enough to use that as a criteria,...Again I was right...Extremely Stupid to think a team with the lowest paid coaches by far in the league will be a top team every year.... No law against people making dumb posts, being wrong year after and making the same dumb post again... Definition of Insanity.... Extre

UND is picked 8th and 10th in the preseason polls, if that gives you an idea.  I could see them making a mini-run to finish in Top 5 or so.  Don't think they got the fire power to win it or anything.

• Downvote 1

Now we just need FS4L to come in and say we should just go to NAIA, then Darrel to reply with a fire Jones, and Fetch to talk about getting an AHL hockey team named the Fighting Sioux and we've covered all our bases.  :):):)

Nice cheap shot there buddy. Sometimes, the truth hurts, and the truth is that (outside of men's and women's hockey) our other programs (with a few exceptions) have underperformed compared to NDSU, a very similar institution to UND and with some of the same challenges (climate, geography, one-bid conference). The key is leadership and vision or lack thereof. NDSU has had that over the last 10 years and UND has not. We have a lot of work to do in several areas and to deny this is pure ostrich behavior.

Hey hoops were you right? You're so smrt. Anyways, so because he is the lowest paid coach means he shouldn't win games? I don't think he has done anything to deserve a pay raise.

Agreed. However, whomever comes after Jones will have to be paid more. Otherwise, we might get another mediocre D-I assistant who can't cut it as a head coach. Because that is what we have right now.

Just so it's clear and I can't speak for others on the other side of Jones still being the coach, we all wish for success of this team. I would never and have never once cheered against UND in any sports. If Jones' team pulls a worst to first hey I would pat him on the back and say congrats, I hope that Eurpoean trip combined with another year for the non freshman matured the team enough to compete not only in conference play but against Wisconsin, UNI and NDSU. Upset wins against any of those 3 would be awesome. I still don't understand how neither South Dakota teams are on the schedule, we had a good stretch playing the Jacks and we still haven't played the Yotes since the GWC days. So good luck to Coach Jones and this year's UND Fighting Hawks or Roughriders.

• Upvote 1

Just so it's clear and I can't speak for others on the other side of Jones still being the coach, we all wish for success of this team. I would never and have never once cheered against UND in any sports. If Jones' team pulls a worst to first hey I would pat him on the back and say congrats, I hope that Eurpoean trip combined with another year for the non freshman matured the team enough to compete not only in conference play but against Wisconsin, UNI and NDSU. Upset wins against any of those 3 would be awesome. I still don't understand how neither South Dakota teams are on the schedule, we had a good stretch playing the Jacks and we still haven't played the Yotes since the GWC days. So good luck to Coach Jones and this year's UND Fighting Hawks or Roughriders.

I feel the same way and figured that is what you meant.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will be accused by some of starting my "Jones bitching" too early this year but my post of last night regarding the Youngstown game should probably have been posted here as it relates to the season - not just that game.....

After driving many hours to see today's game in person, I left with a sick feeling in my stomach.  I just don't see that this group of young players will receive the coaching necessary to get the most out of their considerable talent and become a great team (this year or in the future).  Sideline demeanor, lack of adjustments during a game, lack of ability to stop opponents "runs", lack of positive motivation, etc. - the same issues that have haunted us the last few years!

There really are some talented, young kids on this team (although we still really need a much stronger presence at the 4 & 5).  My concern is that this talent will provide us with a reasonably good record and the coaching situation will not be addressed.

We play 5 DI games in Nov/Dec will we get at least 1 win before January 2016?

vs UNI

At Bradley

vs  NDSU

at Kansas St

vs Idaho

i say we win 1 of those games but it won't be against UNI, NDSU and KSU. This team is struggling early and looks like a repeat of last season.

We play 5 DI games in Nov/Dec will we get at least 1 win before January 2016?

vs UNI

At Bradley

vs  NDSU

at Kansas St

vs Idaho

i say we win 1 of those games but it won't be against UNI, NDSU and KSU. This team is struggling early and looks like a repeat of last season.

Pretty sure we already have a win against BGSU...

• Upvote 1

Can't stand Jones and his constant yelling and pouting while standing on or pacing around the court.  Has anybody ever seen him positively reinforcing his players or encouraging them?  All he ever seems to do is yell.... would not be a fun person to play for. 

Edited by nodak651

As big of a fan as I am of college hoops, I admit I don't keep up with und as much as I should.  I follow enough to consider myself dangerous.

The one glaring weakness to me seems to be defense.  Coach jones doesn't preach it.  Never had that big in the middle that could alter or block shots or simply be "that" presence.   Plenty of guard play but no big play again. 

As big of a fan as I am of college hoops, I admit I don't keep up with und as much as I should.  I follow enough to consider myself dangerous.

The one glaring weakness to me seems to be defense.  Coach jones doesn't preach it.  Never had that big in the middle that could alter or block shots or simply be "that" presence.   Plenty of guard play but no big play again. 

Brekke was the closest he ever got.  An incidental elbow later.... he never was the same.  Wilmer in his Senior year was pretty good. 

I really hope Shanks can put it together soon, he can be that guy.

This team is hard to stop when it is straight man defense. This team MO has always been up-tempo, attack the basketball, positions 1-4 can handle the ball, etc.   But when teams zone..... its ugly. Despite them having the necessary weapon to attack the zone, the execution and set up is extremely lacking. 

From what I have seen, the boxing out has improved but we are getting killed on the inside and teams have gone to zone. 

Have we run any zone-D ourselves this year?  I don't think I saw it when I watched the FGCU and YSU games.

Edited by SWSiouxMN

Saw Montana play NDSU on Wednesday. Montana has a big man that is very good (and very strong). I think he will be hardbfor the UND big men to handle. But if they can contain him, Montana has next to nothing to go along with him. UND will have a major advantage in all 4 of the other positions. And if Montana is really the favorite to win the league, it looks pretty good for UND tommake some noise in the conference.

Saw Montana play NDSU on Wednesday. Montana has a big man that is very good (and very strong). I think he will be hardbfor the UND big men to handle. But if they can contain him, Montana has next to nothing to go along with him. UND will have a major advantage in all 4 of the other positions. And if Montana is really the favorite to win the league, it looks pretty good for UND tommake some noise in the conference.

Breunig is very good, probably is favorite to win Big Sky POY.

Personally I buy Weber as the best in the Sky. 

Breunig is very good, probably is favorite to win Big Sky POY.

Personally I buy Weber as the best in the Sky. 

Yes, Breunig is very good. Outside of Iowa State, I don't think NDSU wil see a big man that good the rest of the year. I know Weber is traditionally the calss of the BSC, but I see they were handled pretty easily by SD State earlier this year, but SDSU is very good this year.

• Downvote 1

Yes, Breunig is very good. Outside of Iowa State, I don't think NDSU wil see a big man that good the rest of the year. I know Weber is traditionally the calss of the BSC, but I see they were handled pretty easily by SD State earlier this year, but SDSU is very good this year.

I see the league tiered this way

Tier 1 (THE FAVORITES)

Weber

Montana

Tier 2 (COULD WIN TITLE IF THINGS CLICK)

NAU

SUU

EWU

Tier 3 (COULD SNEAK IN TOP 5 IN LEAGUE IF THINGS GO RIGHT)

Idaho

UND

PSU

SAC

UNC

Tier 4 (PROJECT TEAMS)

MSU

ISU