SiouxSports.com Forum

Tuition Waivers

GeauxSioux

NDSU still crying poor after giving out almost $18 million in tuition waivers which is almost 56% of waivers within the NDUS despite having less than 28% of the students.

Approximately 23% of NDSU students got some sort of waiver vs. the NDUS average of 17% (or under 15% of you exclude NDSU).

Lots of money on Grad Assistants as well.  Guessing they are still included in the funding formula so that works out nice.  Arguments for and against those, but even if they are excluded, NDSU still gave out 40% more waivers than UND.

• 1 month later...

The North Dakota media is now onto this.. http://www.inforum.com/news/education/3737569-audit-reveals-millions-nd-tuition-waivers-out-state-students

Can someone tell me why it is important to add diversity to the campus?

In the 2013-14 school year, North Dakota State University waived $5.6 million in tuition for out-of-state students, a figure that's up from $3.3 million five years ago and is more than twice what the University of North Dakota waived for nonresidents.

In that time, NDSU waived about $69 million in tuition and UND waived about $37 million. The next-highest amount waived was about $7 million at Dickinson State University.

NDSU Provost Beth Ingram said students from other states and countries fill the needs of the state's workforce and add diversity to the campus.

They're taxpayer dollars, so who cares?

-typical public higher education administrator

Yup! And make sure you spend every nickel too so you can complain how and why you need even MORE money next legislative session.
  • Upvote 1

So in 12 years NDSU will have lost close to $100 million? (At current rate)

NDSU wants who to pay for that?

Don't forget the football stadium that seats 50,000 plus that bi-zon fanatics feel the state should pay for. 

Don't forget the football stadium that seats 50,000 plus that bi-zon fanatics feel the state should pay for. 

Don't know of many who feel the state should pay for a stadium. Some help would be appreciated but the big thing is to change the rules on having all the money up front. Change the law to allow bonds to be sold like most place in the US.  Its just not about a new stadium. If they allowed bonds then other building would be able to be built also. The state is terrible in this regard.

Don't know of many who feel the state should pay for a stadium. Some help would be appreciated but the big thing is to change the rules on having all the money up front. Change the law to allow bonds to be sold like most place in the US. Its just not about a new stadium. If they allowed bonds then other building would be able to be built also. The state is terrible in this regard.

Which is why the state is allowing ndsu to bond for their new swimming pool.

Don't know of many who feel the state should pay for a stadium. Some help would be appreciated but the big thing is to change the rules on having all the money up front. Change the law to allow bonds to be sold like most place in the US.  Its just not about a new stadium. If they allowed bonds then other building would be able to be built also. The state is terrible in this regard.

Come on.  In 2006, NDSU (though the NDSU Foundation) bonded $3.5 million for the locker room/coach's office renovation at the Fargodome which was almost the entire cost, and still have $1.7 million plus to pay on it.  They also don't have anywhere near the cash on hand for the SHAC, but that project is well under way and they will end up bonding a huge dollar amount for that as well.

Full disclosure - UND did the exact same thing though the UND Foundation this past year to be able to get shovels in the ground for the Indoor Practice Facility.

Which is why the state is allowing ndsu to bond for their new swimming pool.

Bonding is very restricted, only reason that went through is because the students voted for it and are paying for it entirely with their own fees. NDSU can't build a new academic building with bonds or an athletic facility. 

Come on.  In 2006, NDSU (though the NDSU Foundation) bonded $3.5 million for the locker room/coach's office renovation at the Fargodome which was almost the entire cost, and still have $1.7 million plus to pay on it.  They also don't have anywhere near the cash on hand for the SHAC, but that project is well under way and they will end up bonding a huge dollar amount for that as well.

Full disclosure - UND did the exact same thing though the UND Foundation this past year to be able to get shovels in the ground for the Indoor Practice Facility.

I don't think either school should be using their foundations to bond, but the state government likes to make everything difficult. 

• Upvote 1

I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll just tag it here.

NDSU seeks chief of staff for president's cabinet | INFORUM

The president of North Dakota State University will soon have a chief of staff, which is possibly a first for a public university in this state.

The chief of staff will report to President Dean Bresciani and "relieve the president from administrative duties so he can focus on other priorities," university spokeswoman Sadie Rudolph said in an email. The position was posted online Tuesday.

So what exactly are his priorities?  Are these guys really that important that they need a chief of staff?

It looks to me like another layer of insulation to provide plausible deniability.  

Your job is to run the University.  You are getting paid to do the job.  Do it.

• Upvote 1

I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll just tag it here.

NDSU seeks chief of staff for president's cabinet | INFORUM

So what exactly are his priorities? Are these guys really that important that they need a chief of staff?

It looks to me like another layer of insulation to provide plausible deniability.

Your job is to run the University. You are getting paid to do the job. Do it.

I see another tuition increase to pay for this "chief of staff" position...on top of the one they just got.