SiouxSports.com Forum

Twins ?

Fetch

• 3 weeks later...
On June 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM, MafiaMan said:

Joe Mauer is to the Twins what Derek Jeter is to the Yankees, Buster Posey is to the Giants, Ozzie Smith was to the Cardinals, and Mike Schmidt was to the Phillies.

Minus the championships those collective folks won, of course.

Mauer update:
.045 avg over the last 7 games. 
.161 avg and 2 RBI over the last 15 games.
.216 avg and 9 RBI over the last 30 games.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Replace him with someone from outside the organization or it will be more of the same and the whole thing was an exercise of doing something to do something.

I'm sure they will just move the chairs around a bit. Antony will get the first shot I'm sure. It's a country club at ol' Target Field. Wouldn't shock me if Gardy became the GM. It's what the Twins do. Re-shuffle. 

Get rid of Plouffe... It would have been better to trade him in the winter so they could have gotten something for him... Ervin Santana hasn't done too bad lately he can be gone... They will be stuck with Nolasco, too much money for how bad he's been playing... They need to rebuild the bullpen.

21 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Get rid of Plouffe... It would have been better to trade him in the winter so they could have gotten something for him... Ervin Santana hasn't done too bad lately he can be gone... They will be stuck with Nolasco, too much money for how bad he's been playing... They need to rebuild the bullpen.

Need to clear some space to get Berrios in the rotation and Chargois in the bullpen. 

I wouldn't be shocked if Dozier is traded.  I don't know if Plouffe gets moved during the season.

On July 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

Time to clean house and start over from scratch. Bring in an outsider for GM and let him shape the organization however he wishes. This "Twins Way" crap doesn't work anymore. The Twins are running a Major League franchise like it's a minor league team. That has to change.

Kansas City did that for about 25 years but it ultimately worked out for them.

26 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

They somehow found a way to get rid of Ricky Nolasco... I never thought that would happen, they got a decent starter out of the deal too

A starter that went 6-0 in July and may be pitcher of the month in the AL. 

• Upvote 1

I think Anthony did alright in his 3 moves

-Traded Nunez and Abad at high value and got 2 pitchers in return.

-Got rid of Nolasco and got a cheaper starting pitcher that at worst can become a bullpen arm or is easier to move in a trade

-With the moves Polanco is up and can get some at bats to see where his future is going to be position wise and Berrios can get a handful of starts to prepare for next year when he starts behind Santana in the rotation. 

We will see how the 4 pitchers turn out and see how Anthony's trades impact the Twins... despite the trades, Anthony still shouldn't get the full time gig.

16 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I think Anthony did alright in his 3 moves

-Traded Nunez and Abad at high value and got 2 pitchers in return.

-Got rid of Nolasco and got a cheaper starting pitcher that at worst can become a bullpen arm or is easier to move in a trade

-With the moves Polanco is up and can get some at bats to see where his future is going to be position wise and Berrios can get a handful of starts to prepare for next year when he starts behind Santana in the rotation. 

We will see how the 4 pitchers turn out and see how Anthony's trades impact the Twins... despite the trades, Anthony still shouldn't get the full time gig.

I agree, decent trades but he shouldn't become the full time GM, find somebody outside of the organization.

4 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

Been a couple of fun nights watching the Twins absolutely destroy Cleveland's pitching.  :)

This hitting explosion over the last couple of weeks has been nuts!  I can't decide if I'm loving it, or if I'm PO'd that they didn't do it sooner -

Never saw this coming. But knowing this team, they'll slide back to being bad before long.

On 8/4/2016 at 0:13 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

Never saw this coming. But knowing this team, they'll slide back to being bad before long.

Knowing this team or the franchise? This team is not a bad team by any means, the front office was a mess (that has since been changed). They are 13-7 since Terry Ryan being released,12th in BA and 12th in Runs scored but pretty much dead last in pitching. Who's fault is that? some would say Terry Ryan and others would say the players themselves but if you really look at the whole picture, I would say that the reason the Twins are terrible has nothing to do with Terry Ryan but it has everything to do with having Bill Smith as their GM and here is why:

Traded away Matt Garza, Jason Bartlett and Eduardo Morlan for Delmon Young. Traded away Johan Santana (at his high point and only got PROSPECTS) for Carlos Gomez, Phil Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Deolis Guerra (the worst offer that was on the table and he took it). He did get Carl Pavano, Jon Rauch, Orlando Cabrera and Brian Fuentes for nothing and traded Carlos Gomez for JJ Hardy but traded him away for Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey. Let's not forget that he also dealt Wilson Ramos (58th overall prospect in MLB at the time) for MATT FLIPPIN CAPPS!!! 

Terry Ryan tried to fix the mess that Smith made but ultimately it became too much for him and it cost him his job. Bill Smith will go down as the worst GM ever in MLB history and it set the Twins back many years. The Twins need stop handing out  #1 starter contracts to pitchers that are 4th or 5th starters on any other team. I hope the new GM comes in and makes some moves to get viable starters that can help this team now because the core of young players are there but for how long?

49 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Knowing this team or the franchise? This team is not a bad team by any means, the front office was a mess (that has since been changed). They are 13-7 since Terry Ryan being released,12th in BA and 12th in Runs scored but pretty much dead last in pitching. Who's fault is that? some would say Terry Ryan and others would say the players themselves but if you really look at the whole picture, I would say that the reason the Twins are terrible has nothing to do with Terry Ryan but it has everything to do with having Bill Smith as their GM and here is why:

Traded away Matt Garza, Jason Bartlett and Eduardo Morlan for Delmon Young. Traded away Johan Santana (at his high point and only got PROSPECTS) for Carlos Gomez, Phil Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Deolis Guerra (the worst offer that was on the table and he took it). He did get Carl Pavano, Jon Rauch, Orlando Cabrera and Brian Fuentes for nothing and traded Carlos Gomez for JJ Hardy but traded him away for Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey. Let's not forget that he also dealt Wilson Ramos (58th overall prospect in MLB at the time) for MATT FLIPPIN CAPPS!!! 

Terry Ryan tried to fix the mess that Smith made but ultimately it became too much for him and it cost him his job. Bill Smith will go down as the worst GM ever in MLB history and it set the Twins back many years. The Twins need stop handing out  #1 starter contracts to pitchers that are 4th or 5th starters on any other team. I hope the new GM comes in and makes some moves to get viable starters that can help this team now because the core of young players are there but for how long?

Quoted and bolded to be preserved for eternity. Or until the Twins change this maddening behavior.

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

Tough to fully blame Smith on the Santana trade considering that Ryan had basically punted on making an inevitable decisions while he was in control. The Twins weren't going to give him the contract that was coming (nor should they have). While he made some bad moves, I'd also argue Smith made some pretty good moves as well: Pavano, Thome, Orlando Hudson. This article is a pretty good breakdown of his tenure and it should probably be noted that he learned under Terry Ryan and was pretty much handpicked.

In the end, you can look at a ton of decisions made any GM and it will be a mixed bag and with a lot of it coming down to luck. That being said, Smith wasn't the answer nor was Terry Ryan the second go around and it was time for him to go. The Twins need completely new blood in their front office.

40 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Quoted and bolded to be preserved for eternity. Or until the Twins change this maddening behavior.

A number 1 starter contract is $20-25 million per year for at least 5 years. The Twins have been giving out $12-13 million per year for 3-5 years.