SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Player Defections

sioux24/7

On the Herald Live Chat today somebody asked about possible player defections from this team. Tom Miller responded with, "With a tough season like UND just experienced, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some defections."

I am just wondering who some of those candidates could be?

I think the most obvious candidate would be Benton, given the fact that he was really the only non-senior scholarship player who practically never played. He could probably be a good player at Upper Iowa, Morningside or some other small school in Iowa where he's from.

Cringe on clicking on this thread any time its bumped.

My guess is that the players you'd really have to worry about transferring are the younger ones who haven't red-shirted (Hooker, Shields, Cashman) as they wouldn't actually lose a year of playing time.  Don't see Hooker going anywhere, hoping the other two don't have any plans of leaving, think that those three and Shanks could be fun to watch down low for the next few years.

Tyler won't transfer as he only has one year left and would lose it if he transferred.  Not sure if de Rouen or Coleman would actually leave but both may have the option to sit out a year and then play their senior year somewhere else if they wanted to and find somewhere to bring them on for only 1 year, don't think either of them have used a red-shirt yet.

Edit: As hoopster pointed out, de Rouen used 3 years of eligibility at NMSU and has used 1 year at UND so put him with Tyler in the back for sure category.

Do not expect any players to leave this spring/summer. Do not see Shanks,Shields and Cashman happily sharing the 5 for the next 3 years so if one of those does not get solid  PT. at the 4 the 3rd option at the 5 likely will look elsewhere or take a Redshirt here.

So Coleman and Derouen are expected to be around next season for sure?  Thought they were maybe talked about earlier as candidates to leave the program?  Or was that bad info on here

De Rouen did a redshirt at New Mx  St.  Coleman would need a school to give him 2 year Scholly for one year PT.  

• 2 weeks later...

The players see the writing on the wall; they're not blind.

Just as the majority of fans on this site have pointed to, UND men's basketball needs a change at the top in order to be competitive and build some excitement back into the program, like Bubba did with football.

I think we had better wait and see who is leaving and the reason they are leaving. Maybe Jones realizes these players aren't good enough and he is cleaning house to save his own job. We have some very good players coming for next year and maybe he knows he can get some other good players for next year to sign on and he is making room for them. Whatever is going on I think it will become apparent in the very near future.

I stand by what I said earlier. Been told deRouen and Coleman are gone. Even heard Shields is a maybe to be gone.

What a mess.

DeRouen should be gone. Would not be surprised if Coleman was gone, but think he could be useful if stayed (presuming no issues).  Would be surprised to see Shields go. Should have heard more on him  going by now, and where would he go?I would guess that he sees the talent coming and his athletic ability fits the needs of this team more next year, provided he can get better defensively.  I heard Tyler is done.  Again, will wait for him to verify and give explanation, as it is respectful and the right decision for him.