SiouxSports.com Forum

More Summit movement?

Dagger

If und told the Summit, we'd like to join, but we need a mvfc invite too before we'd come . . . Then it would happen w/I two years. Und would have to make commitment to the Summit, then the summit would leverage the mvfc to make it happen. Pretry simple.

Two years without a football conference is NOT an option. Trade places for a second, would you want your school to go two years without a football conference? Like I said, if we had an actual offer from the MVFC then we should have a real debate.

Two years without a football conference is NOT an option. Trade places for a second, would you want your school to go two years without a football conference? Like I said, if we had an actual offer from the MVFC then we should have a real debate.

Either both at the same time or nothing, we can't go without a conference.

I tend to like the Big Sky more but this would be a much more legitimate debate if we actually had an active or past offer from the MVFC. Until that happens this debate is nonsense. 

I've said this a million times.  But this thread has made clear many times that we're discussing a hypothetical (an invitation from both leagues).

If anyone thinks the Summit without the MVFC is a good idea, they're on crack.

• Upvote 1

If und told the Summit, we'd like to join, but we need a mvfc invite too before we'd come . . . Then it would happen w/I two years. Und would have to make commitment to the Summit, then the summit would leverage the mvfc to make it happen. Pretry simple.

That already happened and the MVFC still had no interest in UND.  I don't mind if those conversations are taking place behind the scenes, but UND absolutely cannot even think about leaving the Big Sky without firm invitations from both conferences.  That would be insane.

I can see attendace increasing, obviously, for NDSU games.  But UNI, W. Ill, and Missiouri State...thos games are no more of a draw than any Big Sky team.  Sure you will have people that would buy season tickets to gaurantee they get tickets to the Bison game.  But 4000-5000...not a chance.  It has been said many times in many threads on this site.  The thing that is going to to get butts in the seats at the Alerus and the Betty is WINNING. 

I agree - I saw some videos last year of pre-game activities at SU and most people in the video didn't even know who they were playing - it's about the overall experience and a winning atmosphere. 

Well played........... :bigsmile:   It was SDSU.  For Potato Bowl, which is often one of the top attended games of the year.

Southern Utah is the next most recent 10,000+ game in the Alerus.

Last 6 Potato Bowls:

2014 - 9,118 Robert Morris (W)

2013 - 10,038 SDSU (L)

2012 - 9,210 Portland State (W)

2011 - 8,545 Black Hills State (W)

2010 - 9,719 Northeastern State (W)

2009 - 8,494 Stony Brook (W)

No, you don't leave bsc until you have both in hand. It's not that hard. The Summit wants you, figure it out. You make a commitment to the Summit behind the scenes, but you don't leave the bsc until you have both in hand. Have you ever been in a negotiation?

No, you don't leave bsc until you have both in hand. It's not that hard. The Summit wants you, figure it out. You make a commitment to the Summit behind the scenes, but you don't leave the bsc until you have both in hand. Have you ever been in a negotiation?

The MVFC doesn't want UND until at least a team (most likely from the east (ex. YSU)) leaves. No one wants to make an extra trip to the Dakotas. You can feel the love of that conference can't you.

The MVFC doesn't want UND until at least a team (most likely from the east (ex. YSU)) leaves. No one wants to make an extra trip to the Dakotas. You can feel the love of that conference can't you.

If the Summit needs teams, und has a big barganing chip and the Summit can leverage you into the MVFC. If the Summit wants you, the mvfc will happen. Only an idiot would join the summit without a mvfc spot also, as you'd then have no leverage.

Und admin is likely just as clueless about how much leverage they actually have as the people on this board.

If the Summit needs teams, und has a big barganing chip and the Summit can leverage you into the MVFC. If the Summit wants you, the mvfc will happen. Only an idiot would join the summit without a mvfc spot also, as you'd then have no leverage.

Und admin is likely just as clueless about how much leverage they actually have as the people on this board.

can we stop this ncc 2.0/gateway football conference talk....und is attached at the hip to montana, montana state, and idaho...if the ndac wants to come on over feel free (we will even put a good word in for ya) if not it was nice knowing ya.

• Upvote 2

can we stop this ncc 2.0/gateway football conference talk....und is attached at the hip to montana, montana state, and idaho...if the ndac wants to come on over feel free (we will even put a good word in for ya) if not it was nice knowing ya.

Hey, if you think that Flickertail sports will ever be more than an afterthought in the bsc, then by all means enjoy the ride (flight) in the pacific time zone.

Hey, if you think that Flickertail sports will ever be more than an afterthought in the bsc, then by all means enjoy the ride (flight) in the pacific time zone.

the same bsc the ndac begged to get into multiple times??  thanks for your interest in und athletics.

I don't understand why people would rather stay in the Big Sky than join the Summit/MVFC. Is it because we want to be separated from the Dakota schools and do our own thing? That's just stupid. The Dakota schools should all be together.

I would prefer all 4 Dakota schools were in same conf but I would prefer the Big Sky and a single conf for all sports with those teams. I would not support leaving the Big Sky just to rejoin the Dakotas. I would leave for a new conf with the Dakotas, Montana's, and the best of the Big Sky, or MVFC or the Big10 or whatever they are now called. If we can't afford to travel we need to go back to D2 or drop to NAIA. No excuse for a school that can raise $325,000,000 in a few years to fail to raise the necessary funds for our athletic programs. That includes coaches salaries, facilities and travel.

• Upvote 1

BSC is a great conference and stable. Not an afterthought at all. The current AD won't unravel the work that was done. The next regime? All bets are off.

I would prefer all 4 Dakota schools were in same conf but I would prefer the Big Sky and a single conf for all sports with those teams. I would not support leaving the Big Sky just to rejoin the Dakotas. I would leave for a new conf with the Dakotas, Montana's, and the best of the Big Sky, or MVFC or the Big10 or whatever they are now called. If we can't afford to travel we need to go back to D2 or drop to NAIA. No excuse for a school that can raise $325,000,000 in a few years to fail to raise the necessary funds for our athletic programs. That includes coaches salaries, facilities and travel.

You think that usd, sdsu or ndsu are going to voluntarily join the bsc to travel the west and play Conf tournaments in Boise, Sacto or Billings . . . Or play football in a lesser Conf in different time zones with more travel expense and more difficulty recruiting? The bsc is a distant 2nd to current conferences, it's not close. The bsc is stable yes, as well as isolated.

Would they buyout the exit fee from the Big Sky?

Elgin has no choice but to placate Bradley, Drake, Evansville, Loyola, and Wichita St, which don't give a cr*p about football. Elgin doesn't run the league, he only is the XO, not the CO. The Presidents make the major decisions, not Elgin.

How much is the buyout fee for UND? IIRC, the Big Sky waived the buyout for UND in their "let's cross our fingers" agreement.

How much is the buyout fee for UND? IIRC, the Big Sky waived the buyout for UND in their "let's cross our fingers" agreement.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/south-dakota-will-not-join-big-sky-conference/article_a76f88ac-e871-11df-b0ea-001cc4c002e0.html

If UND decides it isn't rock solid with the agreement it signed Monday, which doesn't require the school to be a Big Sky member for a minimum number of years, Fullerton said there could be a financial penalty. But only if UND goes about it "the wrong way."

Fullerton didn't explain what that way would be, but said if North Dakota was up front about all its dealings before an exit from the conference there would be no buyout fee.

If the school chose to seek a new conference home behind the Big Sky's back, Fullerton said, it would be charged a buyout fee of $1 million.

So if Faison tells Fullerton that the MVFC is going to accept UND in 20XX and the SL will accept them in the same year, then the buyout will be waived, but this quote says it all...

"There was no support about abandoning an optimum nine-team league in favor of an 11-team model, which has challenges," Viverito said. "The 10-team model, on the other hand, was one we were willing to consider."

Unless a team in the MVFC leaves, UND is not going to be accepted there.

Darell, thanks for the info.

My concern is, even if a MVFC team were to leave, the MVFC would be down to a nine team league, which many say is the perfect football league. The pressure would have to come from the Summit. Not sure that desire is there.

Also it depends who leaves the MVFC, I know if a team from the west leaves there would be no chance to add another Dakota team, but if YSU or a team further away from the Dakota 3/UNI area there could be a window (a very small window) to explore. Only way UND looks at the Summit is if the MVFC was included in the package.

I hear where you are coming from. When looking at the map, couldn't believe how much of an eastern outlier YSU is. Losing them would definitely shift the MVFC to the west.

It sure is out there, but i am sure they say the same thing about us.

MissouriValleyFootballLocations.png