SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameyear Thread

geaux_sioux

I am not as scared of this game as Bison fans think we should be.  We can play against the run, we face wide-outs better than what NDSU has almost every week, and NDSU did lose a lot on D.  But, I'm sure they'll still be talented all the way around and Wentz is a serious player with a good O-line.

NDSU is more of a known entity than we are, so a lot is going to have to do with our offense being able to step up their game.

Just some initial thoughts-

I am not as scared of this game as Bison fans think we should be. We can play against the run, we face wide-outs better than what NDSU has almost every week, and NDSU did lose a lot on D. But, I'm sure they'll still be talented all the way around and Wentz is a serious player with a good O-line.

NDSU is more of a known entity than we are, so a lot is going to have to do with our offense being able to step up their game.

Just some initial thoughts-

I think ndsu will move the ball pretty well.

I think und still has trouble moving the ball.

I'll take ndsu by 3-5 touchdowns.

Will Rattelle needs to be the player of the game in this one. And I don't see why he won't be. The man can lift three bison cheerleaders and run like a deer.

So he can lift 750 lbs? Impressive!

• Upvote 2

We will have a tough time scoring, unless our offense is vastly improved.  I think our offense will be improved (wouldn't be too hard) but I'm just not sure how much. Since we have so many unknowns and don't even know who will be our starting QB in that game as of now, my early thought is 30-10 NDSU.  Hoping by game day I'll have reason to think it will be closer than that. 

We will have a tough time scoring, unless our offense is vastly improved. I think our offense will be improved (wouldn't be too hard) but I'm just not sure how much. Since we have so many unknowns and don't even know who will be our starting QB in that game as of now, my early thought is 30-10 NDSU. Hoping by game day I'll have reason to think it will be closer than that.

I agree.

Defense will be tough again this year but the offense is a question mark. After games against Wyoming and Drake, everyone should have a better idea how UND's offense will match up against NDSU's defense.

A 3-5 touchdown spread would be the case in any game where one team can move the ball and the other can't.  It's a little early to give a score but Bubba and Schmitty are familiar with SU, this won't be their 1st rodeo in the Fargo Dome.

Random observations, for what they're worth:

UND offense v. NDSU defense

- NDSU's defense lost both starting safeties, three opening day linebackers, and the best DE in FCS. Their twos become the ones. <-- Are the threes ready to be the twos. 

- UND will start _______ at QB and _______ at RB. <-- Monster questions without answers today. 

- Will UND's offensive line be better than how they were playing at the end of 2014. <-- The answer to this is a big factor in how the game will be played. 

NDSU offense v. UND defense

- How many will UND have to keep in the box to withstand the NDSU run game or will NDSU choose to forgo the run and attack a suspect UND secondary. 

Special Teams

- NDSU will have a new primary kicker 

A 3-5 touchdown spread would be the case in any game where one team can move the ball and the other can't. It's a little early to give a score but Bubba and Schmitty are familiar with SU, this won't be their 1st rodeo in the Fargo Dome.

Bubba's last experience against NDSU ended with I believe over 200 yards rushing in just over quarter.

I don't think ndsu will be anything special next year though. Should be neat to check the box score.

Bubba's last experience against NDSU ended with I believe over 200 yards rushing in just over quarter.

I don't think ndsu will be anything special next year though. Should be neat to check the box score.

Ya, I gave Schmitty some crap about that.  Other than being out gunned a little physically they had a LB blowing assignment after assignment. Then, other guys try to start compensating for that, then you end up with a cluster F.

Ya, I gave Schmitty some crap about that. Other than being out gunned a little physically they had a LB blowing assignment after assignment. Then, other guys try to start compensating for that, then you end up with a cluster F.

You'd have to imagine the plan will be to stop the run and make Wentz beat you; however, that's dangerous territory as well.

As a coaching friend once told me, when you pass the ball, three things can happen, and two of those things are bad. Focus should likely be to stop the run and bring pressure on Wentz, hoping for a sack fumble or deflected pass resulting in an interception. UND's defense will need to create turnovers for UND to have a shot.

It will be fun to see how many Sioux closet fans dressed as Bison team makers will switch their jerseys for this game. How many suites will turn into Sioux suites? I am guessing over 1,000 will switch jerseys.

If it was a hockey game I'm sure you'd be right. The reality that is North Dakota is we have a lot of und hockey/bison football fans.

Big Sioux fan but realistic also. You may be right but hope not! Hell, I think the herd could take notre dame by 3 - 5 td's. Amazing how the fighting irish (not hostile & offensive I guess?) football team stays as big/popular as it is despite very little done by major college football standards in the last 25 years. They're pulling the wool over somebody's eyes.

The same place all your missing Bison fans were the last year these two teams played?

I think NDSU averaged 11,000 fans and after losing to UND had a game or two around 7,000.

That was a long time ago. Im hardly a bison fan anymore if at all, still take an interest obviously. I don't think we'll see the Bison at 11K again.

The move to D1 has really done well for NDSU. Some other posters could probably expand on specifics.