SiouxSports.com Forum

BESC vs. REA

UND-FB-FAN

Needing more than 3,300 seats available for a basketball game would be a good problem to have. Until then, let's keep it intimate at the Betty.

http://www.undsports.com//fls/13500/stats/mbasketball/2011-12/und17.htm

The January 2012 NDSU vs. UND game in the Ralph Engelstad Arena drew over 7,000 people. Certain games (NDSU, Montana, maybe even Minnesota) will draw large crowds, particularly in the REA. The REA is a great venue to watch any game --hockey or basketball-- and the Betty needs improvements and upgrades, desperately. Not having any video boards in the Betty is horrible and embarrassing; most colleges and even some high schools have them!

Kansas only came because of Jeff Boschee.  Would need to get a ND player on Minny's roster and have the coach be as good of a guy as Roy William's was in order to get the Goof's to GF.

I'm simply pointing out that crazier things have happened.

i will be elected President of the United States of America before Minnesota comes to the GF to play in mbb.

Minnesota's AD Norwood Teague signed off on the WBB team traveling to Grand Forks, and UND played a MBB game in Minneapolis in Dec. 2014, so perhaps worth a try getting a game in the REA. Would be a big crowd, especially if UND MBB can get their sh*t together.

How about Nebraska and Tim Miles vs. UND in the REA?

I'm simply pointing out that crazier things have happened.

True...I think it's a pretty big deal when UNI comes to town.  They were ranked #10 in the country and played on CBS last weekend.  They ended up losing to Wichita State, but they have a great team.  Looking forward to seeing them if they do come next year.

True...I think it's a pretty big deal when UNI comes to town. They were ranked #10 in the country and played on CBS last weekend. They ended up losing to Wichita State, but they have a great team. Looking forward to seeing them if they do come next year.

Again, what's wrong with possibly hosting NDSU, SDSU, and UNI in the REA during 2015-2016 season? Would be a great set-up and gesture towards UND MBB.

Again, what's wrong with possibly hosting NDSU, SDSU, and UNI in the REA during 2015-2016 season? Would be a great set-up and gesture towards UND MBB.

Again have no problem with NDSU. I doubt the lower bowl would fill for either SDSU or UNI. At least not at this point. If it can't fill the Lower bowl of REA I don't think it is worth sacrificing the home court advantage that Sioux Center provides. Just my opinion.

There will always be at least one or two games like that on the schedule.  UND is not an anomaly on that.  Minnesota played UM-Duluth and something called Franklin Pierce this year.  Wisconsin played UW-Parkside.  NDSU played UM-Crookston and Minot State.  They are cheap, early season home games.

I don't disagree with the majority of what you said. But I do think that unless you are going to guarantee at least 4-5,000 people, the atmosphere will be pretty stale, its a big arena.  I thought the atmosphere at the NDSU game held at the Betty was just as good if not better than the one at the REA even though there was around 4,000 less people.  However, if UND could bring in a big name opponent every year or two (not likely, but talking hypotheticals), I think playing a game like that in the REA makes a ton of sense.  They just need to make sure the crowd shows up.

The difference is the Duluth and Parkside games for Minnesota and Wisconsin are exhibitions. The Gophers have played a D2 team each of the last 2 seasons though in games that counted as they ended up facing Chaminade in the Maui Invite last year and Franklin Pierce was a Preseason NIT opponent this year. That is a different level and NDSU is probably a more comparable OOC schedule and they do play a couple D2/NAIA type teams each year and UND will probably continue to as well.

Minnesota's AD Norwood Teague signed off on the WBB team traveling to Grand Forks, and UND played a MBB game in Minneapolis in Dec. 2014, so perhaps worth a try getting a game in the REA. Would be a big crowd, especially if UND MBB can get their sh*t together.

How about Nebraska and Tim Miles vs. UND in the REA?

As a Gopher basketball fan I just really can't see that happening especially in the next couple years. I wouldn't be surprised if UND played the Gophers again in The Barn but I just don't really see them travelling to play at UND no matter what facility the game would be in.

Highly unlikely a high major team comes here unless its a special connection like Boschee for Kansas and multiple staff connections like Brew and previous Gophers staff had. Teague was on radio shortly after that game saying that trip won't happen again. Only reason UND gets UNI is Jake and the next best chance might be Hannah Stewart and Iowa the next few years.

Unless its situations like that I wouldn't bank on those teams coming. Women's would have a better chance than men's at this happening, but still maybe once every 5-6 years.

You know, this is tough for me. I know Brian Jones agrees with you, so I'm sure the 2015-2016 NDSU game will be in the Betty, but I just think the Ralph should be used to host some MBB games for recruiting purposes and the awe factor. It would give the players a glimpse of what it would be like to play for a Big Ten school and be valued by playing in large venues. The one thing MBB players I've spoke to don't care much about is the obvious discrepancy between the UND's MBB program and UND's hockey program. The basketball-hosting Betty sits adjacent to a building much larger which hosts hockey. It let's everyone know, regardless of familiarity, that UND MBB is an afterthought at UND relative to hockey. I think the MBB players and even fans would appreciate it more if the athletic department would work out one -maybe two or three - games per season in the REA just for the awe factor.

I agree with parts of this. If UND wanted to get serious about promoting BBall I think they would be wise to play 5-6 games a year in the Ralph and consider putting basketball stuff up around the concourse and maybe a joint basketball locker room in the ralph along with access to the weight room for those athletes. It would help with recruiting and those 5-6 games in the ralph would easily draw 3000-4000 fans if the opponents were right and they were on the weekends. I base that off the fact the ralph will draw an extra 1000-1500 fans just because it's in the Ralph. Just sell lower bowl only and the atmosphere will be just fine. 

What UND should do is play all Men's Saturday Basketball games at the Ralph when's Men's hockey is out of town. I know that mean's Women's hockey is home, but play women's hockey on Friday and Sunday or play their games in the practice arena because there would be enough seating. Playing Saturday men's games in the ralph would make it the event in town when the men's hockey team is gone and if you also play games like NDSU, SDSU, UNI, then you are looking at 5-6 games a year which makes sense. If you also have basketball pictures, weight room access, and a locker room over there we suddenly have some of the best mid major basketball facilities in the country. This will all bring more revenue back as better recruits come in because winning and dollars will follow. 

If you are just going to play a token game in the ralph against NDSU every other year please keep ALL games at the Betty and start investing dollars there. Century Link center is able to house Creighton BBall and UNO hockey. If UND can start playing 5-6 games a year at the ralph i think more casual basketball fans and students will come out and I think basketball revenue and interest will grow. It takes a little vision to see that, but I would hope someone sees the potential with basketball at UND when both men's and women's have averaged 3000-4000 people at games before. 

You know, this is tough for me. I know Brian Jones agrees with you, so I'm sure the 2015-2016 NDSU game will be in the Betty, but I just think the Ralph should be used to host some MBB games for recruiting purposes and the awe factor. It would give the players a glimpse of what it would be like to play for a Big Ten school and be valued by playing in large venues. The one thing MBB players I've spoke to don't care much about is the obvious discrepancy between the UND's MBB program and UND's hockey program. The basketball-hosting Betty sits adjacent to a building much larger which hosts hockey. It let's everyone know, regardless of familiarity, that UND MBB is an afterthought at UND relative to hockey. I think the MBB players and even fans would appreciate it more if the athletic department would work out one -maybe two or three - games per season in the REA just for the awe factor.

My personal opinion....the setup of a Basketball game in a Hockey arena just looks dumb. I would rather pack the !@#$ out of the Betty than have folding chairs and risers behind the hoops. The atmosphere sucks....

Regarding basketball at REA, they did play all of their NCC games in the Ralph in 2004-05.  That was the year after the XDSU's left, so there were only six games.  The games in REA drew about 3,900.  The non-conference games in the Betty that year drew 2,048

• Upvote 1

My personal opinion....the setup of a Basketball game in a Hockey arena just looks dumb. I would rather pack the !@#$ out of the Betty than have folding chairs and risers behind the hoops. The atmosphere sucks....

To me, it depends on how they set it up.  If they leave the hockey boards up, then yes, it is dumb.  If they take the boards down, then I am fine with it.  Wisconsin seems to do alright with doing this at the Kohl Center or Creighton at Centruy link.  Probably costs a bit more and takes a bit more time but when the hockey boards are left up, it just looks kind of shows that even when basketball is played there, hockey still comes first.

Does anyone know if they take the boards down for concerts?

Regarding basketball at REA, they did play all of their NCC games in the Ralph in 2004-05.  That was the year after the XDSU's left, so there were only six games.  The games in REA drew about 3,900.  The non-conference games in the Betty that year drew 2,048

Proof that the REA draws more than the Betty in terms of attendance (obvious why it would seem). 

The REA should host a few MBB games every season; my opinion for the reasons mentioned above. Faison should look into this. 

To me, it depends on how they set it up.  If they leave the hockey boards up, then yes, it is dumb.  If they take the boards down, then I am fine with it.  Wisconsin seems to do alright with doing this at the Kohl Center or Creighton at Centruy link.  Probably costs a bit more and takes a bit more time but when the hockey boards are left up, it just looks kind of shows that even when basketball is played there, hockey still comes first.

Does anyone know if they take the boards down for concerts?

I am not sure the boards have ever been taken out.  Every event I have been too at the Ralph, the boards are always up.

Proof that the REA draws more than the Betty in terms of attendance (obvious why it would seem). 

The REA should host a few MBB games every season; my opinion for the reasons mentioned above. Faison should look into this. 

I just prefer the intimacy of the Sioux Center.  I would like to see the video boards added and the sound system upgraded there.  I'm fine with playing NDSU in the REA.  As long as the lower bowl is full, I like it.  I think you lose a lot of home court advantage when you play in a building that is only at 25% capacity.  Once you start to get over 2,200-2,300 or so in the Sioux Center the atmosphere is exceptional.  Anybody who has been to the Sioux Center when there are 3,000+ on hand can attest that the environment is outstanding.

Until the Sioux Center is routinely sold out, I'd prefer to play all games there, except perhaps NDSU.  Just my two cents.

I just prefer the intimacy of the Sioux Center. I would like to see the video boards added and the sound system upgraded there. I'm fine with playing NDSU in the REA. As long as the lower bowl is full, I like it. I think you lose a lot of home court advantage when you play in a building that is only at 25% capacity. Once you start to get over 2,200-2,300 or so in the Sioux Center the atmosphere is exceptional. Anybody who has been to the Sioux Center when there are 3,000+ on hand can attest that the environment is outstanding.

Until the Sioux Center is routinely sold out, I'd prefer to play all games there, except perhaps NDSU. Just my two cents.

I agree with this 100%. I would think you could get 5-6k in REA for NDSU. But, that would require Marketing and Athletics Department to think outside the box...