SiouxSports.com Forum

Ncaa hockey vs chl

Redneksioux

I know this topic has been discussed at length on here but after I learned the gophers baseball team just played an exhibition game against the Twins, why can't Und schedule an exhibition game vs a whl team?

I've heard it mentioned that ncaa teams can not compete against professional athletes and since Canadian junior players are paid they are considered professional(I think this is bs because isn't the average ncaa hockey player technically paid more with scholarships than the average chl athlete?) So how can gophers baseball compete against the Twins? And I know ncaa hockey is in competition with Canadian junior teams for many of the same recruits so they don't exactly have a working relationship. But wouldn't it be in both sides best interest to put some of their best teams forward to represent their leagues and hash this out with a few exhibition games? I think there'd definitely be some fan interest here.

I'm wondering why the ncaa would allow the gophers baseball team to play the Twins but the ncaa won't allow a college hockey team play a chl team. Another case of ncaa's hypocrisy?

I'm pretty sure that college baseball teams have played Spring Training exhibition games against major league teams for many years.  It isn't just Gophers-Twins.  Very few real major league players actually play these games, usually just a couple so that they can put the label on to sell tickets.

I'm wondering why the ncaa would allow the gophers baseball team to play the Twins but the ncaa won't allow a college hockey team play a chl team. Another case of ncaa's hypocrisy?

I know this topic has been discussed at length on here but after I learned the gophers baseball team just played an exhibition game against the Twins, why can't Und schedule an exhibition game vs a whl team?

I've heard it mentioned that ncaa teams can not compete against professional athletes and since Canadian junior players are paid they are considered professional(I think this is bs because isn't the average ncaa hockey player technically paid more with scholarships than the average chl athlete?) So how can gophers baseball compete against the Twins? And I know ncaa hockey is in competition with Canadian junior teams for many of the same recruits so they don't exactly have a working relationship. But wouldn't it be in both sides best interest to put some of their best teams forward to represent their leagues and hash this out with a few exhibition games? I think there'd definitely be some fan interest here.

Maybe it has to do with the definition of "professional"? Tier 1 pro vs. like a Tier 3 pro? I don't know. Just a guess lol :p

Maybe it has to do with the definition of "professional"? Tier 1 pro vs. like a Tier 3 pro? I don't know. Just a guess lol :p

Haha!

Maybe the rule doesn't exist I don't know why I thought it did.

Now that I think of it the U.S. world junior team has played games against ncaa teams in the past and that team will always have a few guys from Canadian juniors.

A game vs the wild would be fun but I'd love to see the Sioux play a few games against some whl teams. Or the NCAA champion play the memorial cup champion. Or an all star game where the guys actually play! Or all of the above!

Haha!

Maybe the rule doesn't exist I don't know why I thought it did.

Now that I think of it the U.S. world junior team has played games against ncaa teams in the past and that team will always have a few guys from Canadian juniors.

A game vs the wild would be fun but I'd love to see the Sioux play a few games against some whl teams. Or the NCAA champion play the memorial cup champion. Or an all star game where the guys actually play! Or all of the above!

My guess is that the reason the games don't happen is that Canadian Juniors don't want the comparison.  US college teams are often older, bigger and stronger.  Even if the Junior teams may have more high end talent, the competition probably isn't going to let them appear superior.  And the Junior teams want to be known as superior to the college teams.

My guess is that the reason the games don't happen is that Canadian Juniors don't want the comparison. US college teams are often older, bigger and stronger. Even if the Junior teams may have more high end talent, the competition probably isn't going to let them appear superior. And the Junior teams want to be known as superior to the college teams.

You are probably right. Probably.

I wonder if hakstol could attempt to schedule an exhibition though. If the game couldn't happen the actual reasoning would be interesting. I'm sure Paul Bittner would love to play a game or two for the winterhawks here next year of he's still with them! That logo on the ice in the ralph would be great. Plus the only way to truly see what league is superior is to play the games!