SiouxSports.com Forum

MacMillan to have surgery, listed as 'out indefinitely'

rhenry8439

Just depends on what the injury is and type of surgery. A few possible scenarios would be a fracture of some type, and that would most likely mean that he's done for the year, as it would be a 6-8 week recovery. My gut says, based on watching the game, he sustained some type of tissue injury. If he developed a hematoma or even a type of a compartment syndrome, a surgeon would go in and drain the region and the recovery time is about 3-4 weeks. If myosotis ossificans sets in, then the recovery time is closer to 6 weeks. Given the extent of the severe blunt trauma from a Brodinzki slap shot, that is a rather real possibility.

At this time however, we are just throwing around notions. I'll just pray for a speedy recovery and hope that he is able to return.

Unfortunately, Mac has a fractured patella (kneecap) and is out for the year.

That's what I thought. Best case scenario is a 6-8 week recovery and that is usually when surgery is not required, which it was. When I heard he was having surgery, I figured his season was over.

This sucks for Mac! Hopefully the team will rally around him and we can see him on the ice one final time hoist the national championship trophy.

Says who? You? If you are going to say things like that, you need to out your sources. Otherwise, it's nonsense.

Exactly.

I heard the same thing...on Sunday. It is the only injury I have heard thrown out on this site by multiple posters.

I have been known to dabble in nonsense...

If he had a vertical fracture he would be out for 3-4 months, if he got lucky and had a horizontal fracture the docs may have been able to screw it together and he would have a shot at the F4.  Still would be iffy though.  If is was vertical there would be no reason why the school wouldn't just say he's done. The whole arguement that they want to keep this close to the chest regarding the planning of the opponents doesn't make sense.  Doesn't sound like anyone thinks he's coming back anyway.  Even if he were to get cleared by the F4 he would be so out of shape it may not make sense to play him in big role.

Only nonsense if he's wrong.

Many posters(you know who you are) like to have the recognition of being the "first" to know something without having credible sources, it's a huge part of what I hate about the media in the current times. They want to be first but being correct comes a distant second. 

Now, I know this is a message board and we aren't held to these jounalistic standards but I hate seeing people state something as fact when they do not in fact have a legitimate source.  The story generally goes they heard through a friend who's uncle had a rental that belonged to the player's best buddy. Or they are flat out lying and want attention.

No offense Scorpio, but you have 77 posts on this site and I've never heard a peep from you until now.  Now if it was from MM, Oxbow etc. I'd put more faith in this claim.

The number of posts makes you more credible? I can give you 12,085 reasons why thats complete BS.

Not sure why people care how many posts you have, and highly doubt that post was looking to troll us about an injury. To my knowledge Mac does indeed have a fractured patella. The question is as stated above what type of surgery was needed. Pure guess but thinking its got to be the lesser of the 2 and they feel albeit a very very small chance, that there is possibly still a chance he could return if they made it to the FF depending on how he heals and responds to the surgery.

The number of posts makes you more credible? I can give you 12,085 reasons why thats complete BS.

Obviously, it's not just the number but the quality. If I know someone to have stated fact repeatedly you can start to trust their opinion vs. someone is on here repeatedly saying Blais is looking to suit up for UND next year because he has eligibility.

I thought that part of my post was pretty clear when I stated a few names I'd trust if they "broke" this news.  It didn't include a few names in case you didn't notice :)  

• Upvote 1

Obviously, it's not just the number but the quality. If I know someone to have stated fact repeatedly you can start to trust their opinion vs. someone is on here repeatedly saying Blais is looking to suit up for UND next year because he has eligibility.

I thought that part of my post was pretty clear when I stated a few names I'd trust if they "broke" this news.  It didn't include a few names in case you didn't notice :)  

Ha....you put the ball on a tee.....I had to take a swing!

Unfortunately you made it sound that if you were not one of the anointed few, your input doesn't hold much credibility. There are a lot of people on this board that have ties (albeit varying levels) to certain programs that get inside information from time to time. Just because they don't share everything all the time, doesn't mean they know less what goes behind the scenes than some of the folks on this board.

Unfortunately you made it sound that if you were not one of the anointed few, your input doesn't hold much credibility. There are a lot of people on this board that have ties (albeit varying levels) to certain programs that get inside information from time to time. Just because they don't share everything all the time, doesn't mean they know less what goes behind the scenes than some of the folks on this board.

Someone is a little hurt I didn't include them in my EXAMPLES of 2 people IMO have credibility... don't worry OTH, you were part of the etc.

I don't remember using the words "annointed few" or even suggesting that but maybe I blacked out? Putting more stock into some who I know has provided credible information in the past= annointed few, got it.

Please continue to take my words out of context and run with it!

I remember these discussions a few months back when Mac had wrist surgery to repair the tendon or whatever it was.  People were throwing out diagnoses and  incredibly long time-frames for recovery for the type of surgery he was supposedly having.  I think many were proven wrong when he was back on the ice just a couple weeks later. 

While I know that the current injury is completely different and could be lot more severe, I cannot accept forum participants speculated diagnosis and hypothetical time-frames for recovery. Unless I hear substantiated information regarding his prognosis, I will cross my fingers and wait and see what happens.

The situation stinks, but hopefully we will see him back.  I cannot say that I have ever seen a more impressive 5 on 3 penalty kill, he put it all on the line for the team.  If he doesn't make it back, Mac will be behind the scenes offering leadership where he can and the team will be playing their best possible.  They are a very impressive team this year.

Someone is a little hurt I didn't include them in my EXAMPLES of 2 people IMO have credibility... don't worry OTH, you were part of the etc.

I don't remember using the words "annointed few" or even suggesting that but maybe I blacked out? Putting more stock into some who I know has provided credible information in the past= annointed few, got it.

Please continue to take my words out of context and run with it!

I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast yesterday...and my wife says I ramble and readily repeat random things. Maybe the knee cap injury was only in a dream...I mean nightmare I had.
  • Upvote 1

I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast yesterday...and my wife says I ramble and readily repeat random things. Maybe the knee cap injury was only in a dream...I mean nightmare I had.

I heard that diagnosis before making it out of the arena that night after the game.  Maybe you and I had the same nightmare?  Or, that was early speculation/suspicion that came through a channel each of us would normally put some stock in...