SiouxSports.com Forum

The Last Committee 2.0

SWSiouxMN

BREAKING NEWS: Just got this email send to me a minute ago.

The University of North Dakota has announced the formation of a new Nickname Committee to facilitate the selection of a permanent nickname. This is the continuation of the work begun by the Nickname and Logo Process Recommendation Task Force that met during the fall of 2014.

Using that Task Force’s recommendations as a starting point, the new Nickname Committee will be charged with reviewing a list of potential names, submitted via a public process soon to be announced, and developing and submitting a short list of those names for a final public vote.  The University anticipates that the Nickname Committee will submit the short list of names for the vote by early May.

Members of the Nickname Committee include:

• Karl Goehring, UND alumnus and former men’s hockey goal tender, Investment Consultant, Alerus Securities, Committee chair (Goehring also served on the previous Task Force, which recommended that the Task Force be represented on the new Committee)
  • Jazmyn Friesz, UND Health Sciences student, Student Body Chief of Staff, Committee vice chair
  • Landon Bahl, UND Entrepreneurship and Marketing student
  • John Bridewell, UND Professor of Aviation
  • Carla Christofferson, UND alumna, Executive Vice President and General Counsel at AECOM, Los Angeles, Calif.
  • Diane Hillebrand, CRA (Certified Research Administrator), UND alumna, Grant and Contract Officer for UND’s School of Medicine and Health Sciences,  current Past President of Staff Senate and Chair of the Bylaws/Elections Committee
  • Dayo Idowu, UND Chemical Engineering student and current men’s football student athlete
  • Dr. Leander “Russ” McDonald, three-time UND alumnus and President, United Tribes Technical College
  • Chelsea Moser, UND Accountancy student and current women’s volleyball student athlete
  • Lowell Schweigert, UND alumnus and football letterwinner, long-time Champions Club member, current UND Booster Chair, Financial Consultant and Business Owner, Northern Plains Financial
  • Dave St. Peter, UND alumnus and President, Minnesota Twins

Susan Walton, UND’s Vice President for University and Public Affairs, will once again serve as project manager for the Committee.  Communications support will be provided by University and Public Affairs Division personnel. 

The Nickname Committee will not engage a professional facilitator.  However, based on recommendations from the previous Task Force, collegiate branding expert Kelly O’Keefe, who provided branding counsel to that group, will join the Nickname Committee’s meetings by phone to provide counsel and discuss best practices.

The first meeting of the Nickname Committee is expected to take place the week of March 9.

Looks like they have a pretty broad cross-section of backgrounds/experience within the student and alumni groups, can't ask for much more than that.

4 current students including 2 student athletes

6 alumni including 2 who are former student athletes

1 professor

I'm glad to see Christofferson and St. Peter on the list. They've both owned/run professional sports teams and should have a clue about the need for identity/brand identification and marketing. 

I'm glad they clarified Dr. McDonald is a 3x UND alumnus, because the rest of his identifier is not a credential worthy of this committee. 

The best combo of brains and brawn currently on campus -- Dayo Idowu (that's right: flagrant engineering bias!) 

The %gobc got their guy (Schweigert). 

Here and now, publicly:

Mr. Goehring, 

Your contributions to the hockey program are clear and recognizable, both in the past as a player and today as a coach and mentor to current players; but your contributions to this effort are greater. 

Much was made of your stature while playing; dare I say you're the tallest man on the University of North Dakota campus today because of your willingness to stand up and take on the last and now this most challenging assignment. 

Thank you Karl.

Signed,

A fellow alumnus of the University of North Dakota

• Upvote 2

What, no tribe memebers allowed on the list? Total fail.

As it should be...........let them pick up the fight on issues that are really ravaging their people.

Oh wait.....they have had decades to tackle that.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad to see Christofferson and St. Peter on the list. They've both owned/run professional sports teams and should have a clue about the need for identity/brand identification and marketing.

I'm glad they clarified Dr. McDonald is a 3x UND alumnus, because the rest of his identifier is not a credential worthy of this committee.

The best combo of brains and brawn currently on campus -- Dayo Idowu (that's right: flagrant engineering bias!)

The %gobc got their guy (Schweigert).

I can see McDonald being a potential thorn on this committee.

What, no tribe memebers allowed on the list? Total fail. 

Not sure if he's a tribe member, but the President of UTTC may represent them.  If not, I still don't think it's a bad thing.  The tribes had their chance for input.

I don't know anything about the guy. What are his issues?

He is on the committee so I hope he works out. I know someone who taught at Tribes....wasn't a fan.

Just my opinion but there should be no one affiliated with any ND NA group on this committee. As you said they had their chance.

• Upvote 2

He is on the committee so I hope he works out. I know someone who taught at Tribes....wasn't a fan.

I'm just not a fan of UTTC. If they ranched they'd be "all hat, no cattle." They talk like they're a step below Harvard; they're a step above Rasmussen ... maybe.  

I wish I could find it, but someone quite a while back posted the "final list" of choices a while back.

I think it was something like:

< a weather phenomena, like Storm > 

< a flying raptor >

< a clawed mammal > 

< a generic "idea" noun, like Liberty > 

I wish I could find that again. It was genius.