SiouxSports.com Forum

Fargo Squirt Tournament - and Youth Sports in General

MafiaMan

It's a shame this is happening in the squirt level. These for the most part are 9-10 year olds that just wanna be out there having fun with there buddies. Parents ruin it mostly by wanting to win more than the kids. Hockey at this level should still be more about developing skills and having fun, not winning and losing. On the other hand, if player safety is the issue, officiating needs to be addressed. This level is still suppose to be about developing skating and stick-handling, not about separating a player from the puck with a solid body check. If the real reason Eastview left was due to concerns for player safety I support their decision. If it was due to the fact Minot was rolling them 6-1 and used player safety as an excuse, I am disgusted by their decision. What I love about youth hockey is that you are not just teaching kids about a game they love, you are teaching them lessons in life. Unfortunately this gets lost along the way in today's society.

It's a shame this is happening in the squirt level. These for the most part are 9-10 year olds that just wanna be out there having fun with there buddies. Parents ruin it mostly by wanting to win more than the kids. Hockey at this level should still be more about developing skills and having fun, not winning and losing. On the other hand, if player safety is the issue, officiating needs to be addressed. This level is still suppose to be about developing skating and stick-handling, not about separating a player from the puck with a solid body check. If the real reason Eastview left was due to concerns for player safety I support their decision. If it was due to the fact Minot was rolling them 6-1 and used player safety as an excuse, I am disgusted by their decision. What I love about youth hockey is that you are not just teaching kids about a game they love, you are teaching them lessons in life. Unfortunately this gets lost along the way in today's society.

I've watched the protesting the officiating walk off twice .....and I've read it about quite a few times.....the weird thing is, it's always the team losing that is so "concerned" with player safety.

• Upvote 1

I've watched the protesting the officiating walk off twice .....and I've read it about quite a few times.....the weird thing is, it's always the team losing that is so "concerned" with player safety.

Could you in your wildest dreams imagine Hak taking the 2005 squad off the ice in the FF game against Denver after Bina was squashed by Paukovich? Me either.

You're down 6-1 and concerned about player safety? Uh huh.

• Upvote 1

Could you in your wildest dreams imagine Hak taking the 2005 squad off the ice in the FF game against Denver after Bina was squashed by Paukovich? Me either.

You're down 6-1 and concerned about player safety? Uh huh.

That was not squirt hockey and Mr. Prpich and Mr. Greene dealt with that later on. I have my hunch on what caused the walk out, but not being in their shoes I would be cautious to pass judgement either way.

Speaking of youth hockey, my son (8 years old) wants to join hockey. I have heard it's expensive and very time consuming. There are two leagues he could join this upcoming fall/winter a recreation league or a travel league. Travel league is more competitive but they travel in a 100 mile radius of Fargo (I wouldn't mind a trip to GF) so we are leaning towards the recreation league just to get his feet wet as he just learned to skate and is now in love with the sport. Can anyone shine the light on the truth/ myth about it being expensive and time consuming?

We did a lot of traveling with our oldest. The weekends in the hotels and hockey rinks were great times, and increased family time. Expenses were reduced because our hockey association hosted a skate exchange where people could buy and sell used equipment, thus reducing cost for everyone. This was especially true for the younger ages. When our son was finally done with youth hockey, I expected to have more money and more time. Funny thing, I never saw it so I don't know what the heck happened.

If it was unsafe, both coaches should've talked and pulled both teams off.

Petty behavior example...every moment is a teaching moment...

And I'm not sure if this rule applies to teams when playing out-of-state, but if this were in MN, the coaching staff would be suspended immediately pending a hearing in front of their district board. I believe the "player safety" issue was a flash-bang grenade lobbed out there in order to cover up being sore losers.
  • Upvote 1

What are these kid hoping to do when they don't get 250k per and a mil to sign as regular joes coming out of college? Not talking pro athletes here....

If you don't get everything you want, do you quit? Do you file suit? Do you go on the dole?

Our society is doomed; just another example

• 2 years later...