SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance Issues

Cratter

i'm lazy but how many other bsc schools have video boards in their mens bball arenas...winning and two nice large video boars at the south and north end would greatly increase attendance....mostly winning

I badly want video boards but I can't imagine it having much of an affect on attendance.

• Upvote 1

if/when the bsc expands/contracts i wonder if they experiment with moving their games to friday night saturday night....might help instead of weird thursday night and sat afternoons that they do now.

und/ndac-1hr

ewu/idaho-1.5 hrs

um/msu-4 hours (drive to butte..spend the night get up drive two hours)

sac st/ portland-fly 1.5 hours

wsu/isu-couple hours

if bsc takes schools like seattle, denver, and or omaha...no real travel partners but could play any day of the week or fridays only....

kinda sioux volley stuff here but i still can't used to the thursday/sat stuff...too many friday/sat night games at hyslop in my blood i guess

Third place not bad....considering 3rd is the highest we can get.

Surprised by that.....I mean when you factor in how cold it is in GF that people would venture out in droves to see MBB. ;)

Even more shocking is the players brave the cold to get to the Betty to play.

Saturday afternoons is cause of hockey

But they had men's/ women's doubleheaders and the Hyslop had great crowds, of course hockey was in a championship drought through most of the early to mid 90's when men's basketball was really good. I think hockey is just an excuse. It's not like it's far to walk to get to either place.

But they had men's/ women's doubleheaders and the Hyslop had great crowds, of course hockey was in a championship drought through most of the early to mid 90's when men's basketball was really good. I think hockey is just an excuse. It's not like it's far to walk to get to either place.

bball at six...mens hockey on friday/ sat at 8...would give people coming from out of town a little more travel time and time to go out to eat....might see a little more people at bball bc they could go to the one game and walk over and take in some hockey too...

UND finishes out the season with a home attendance average of 1,700.  That is the 2nd lowest average attendance for a season in the history of the program, or at least for the years I can find data for.  Only 2012-13 was worse.

Attendance Wiki

That's an interesting link.  Why the huge drop from 93 to 94?  If I remember right, you guys still had a very good team in 94 even though you lost Guldseth and Jacobson from the year before, right?  It looks like other than that huge drop in one year, attendance has been relatively stable as long as you guys fielded good teams.

UND finishes out the season with a home attendance average of 1,700.  That is the 2nd lowest average attendance for a season in the history of the program, or at least for the years I can find data for.  Only 2012-13 was worse.

Attendance Wiki

I find it interesting how Weber State and Montana are our conference rivals (well more Montana than Weber) and yet neither school racked up the attendance like Idaho State and Northern Colorado? I understand NDSU but how could ISU pack the Betty more than Montana or Weber State. 

I find it interesting how Weber State and Montana are our conference rivals (well more Montana than Weber) and yet neither school racked up the attendance like Idaho State and Northern Colorado? I understand NDSU but how could ISU pack the Betty more than Montana or Weber State. 

Weber and Montana were both Thursday games. 

Saturday Big Sky games averaged 1,899.  Thursday Big Sky games averaged 1,536.

Two highest were UNC at 2,321 and MSU at 1,967.  Both were on Saturday.

Weber St. was the best attended Thursday game of the year.

Weber and Montana were both Thursday games.

Saturday Big Sky games averaged 1,899. Thursday Big Sky games averaged 1,536.

Two highest were UNC at 2,321 and MSU at 1,967. Both were on Saturday.

Weber St. was the best attended Thursday game of the year.

Would attendance be better if they dropped the Thursday games for a Sat-Sun series?

That's an interesting link.  Why the huge drop from 93 to 94?  If I remember right, you guys still had a very good team in 94 even though you lost Guldseth and Jacobson from the year before, right?  It looks like other than that huge drop in one year, attendance has been relatively stable as long as you guys fielded good teams.

Hmm, got me NDSU grad. I'm very curious about that too. Anybody got any idea?

The reality is that you're not just competing with hockey. You're competing with entertainment in general. People can watch almost any athletic event, movie or TV show from their couch.

The attendance for UND hockey is high in part because of their success, but it is also due to the "show" they put on at the Ralph.

If you want attendance to improve, the athletic department has to invest in the in-game experience at the Betty. Video boards, audio improvement, corporate-sponsored activities during the timeouts.

Or become a perennial NCAA tournament team...either way.

• Upvote 1

Hmm, got me NDSU grad. I'm very curious about that too. Anybody got any idea?

I know the 93 team was arguably the best in school history and had a very good chance of winning it all, but I believe the 94 team still made the postseason and had Chris Gardner, Todd Johnson, and Travis Tuttle on it. 

I know the 93 team was arguably the best in school history and had a very good chance of winning it all, but I believe the 94 team still made the postseason and had Chris Gardner, Todd Johnson, and Travis Tuttle on it. 

Actually it was the 1990-91 team that was the best one, as that was Vonesh, Burkett and Boschee's senior year, with Guldseth and Jacobson sophomores and Gardner a freshman. UND made it to the Elite 8, but blew a big lead (20 points or so) to Virginia Union and lost. The 1992-93 team didn't have as good of a record as it probably should have, but was still a very good team. UND lost to USD in OT in the region final in Grand Forks. That was maybe the most devastating home loss in UND basketball history, at least in my lifetime. 

In the BESC vs. REA thread, jdub27 brought up the fact that there are a lot of fans that like to take in both hockey and basketball on Saturday.  In fact, these double header days are some of my favorites. 

This season men's basketball attendance on days that hockey was also playing that night was 2,065.  On days that it was the only game in town, the average was 1,650.

I've read that students get some sort of priority seating deal for hockey if they come to the basketball game on these days?  Why couldn't something like that be done for the general public?  Short of simply packaging a basketball ticket with a single game hockey ticket, you could offer a reduced price for the hockey game if you show your basketball ticket or vice versa.  Or offer a great deal on tix to a hockey game or two if you buy basketball season tix.  Perhaps offer basketball and football season tickets as bundle at reduced price. 

I would like to see them get a little creative.  The Big Game plan has been fairly successful.  Those games averaged 1,907 this year.  Granted, two of those games were hockey days as well.