SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts after Omaha -- What the NCHC should change

The Sicatoka

It's an off week for UND Mens Hockey so we need something to bicker about this weekend. I'm here to help. ;)

I've written up some of my thoughts about changes the NCHC needs to make. I've had these thoughts before, but the Omaha weekend helped crystallize them for me. 

Take a read:

http://boardsroom.blogspot.com/2015/02/what-nchc-needs-to-change.html

Share your thoughts here. 

Some of you won't like "five point games".

Here's why I like the notion ... 

Which team do you want to play: The 10-0 team with 50 points or the 10-0 team with 30 points?

Which team do you want to play: The 0-10 team with 20 points or the 0-10 team with 0 points? 

Regarding the points plan first, my preference is to just go back to two points if you win (either regulation or OT), zero if you lose, one point apiece if OT ends in a tie.

At what point do we stop giving out points for certain milestones in a game?

The cause of all of this is the shootout, which is a stupid publicity stunt anyway.  Without a shootout (you have to reward the winner somehow), we don't get to the problem of awarding points to someone who just goes through OT without winning or losing.

I'm more in favor of your officials idea, but I can see some issues.  You'd have to make sure the off ice official has some access or control over the replays he'd get to see.  Is one official going to have veto power or more authority than the other?  Does the presence of the off ice official ultimately cause the deterioration of the on ice officiating.  I think you've already seen that in the NFL.  Sometimes I think an official calls a play one way, knowing it can always be reviewed later, even though the official may have called it a different way if it was just him, with no replay.

If I had the ability to make one change, and one change alone to the NCHC, it would be to make the playoff format a "one and done" format at one location.  All 8 teams make the Frozen Faceoff.  Start Thursday at 11:00 a.m., 10 a.m. if necessary, and go until the 4 games are done that day.  45 minutes between games.  The two semis on Friday with the final on Saturday.   3rd place game optional.  Everyone would know that their team gets to go to Minneapolis each year.  Book your tickets and rooms in advance.  More fanbase to fill the arena.  One big party.

• Upvote 1

If I had the ability to make one change, and one change alone to the NCHC, it would be to make the playoff format a "one and done" format at one location. All 8 teams make the Frozen Faceoff. Start Thursday at 11:00 a.m., 10 a.m. if necessary, and go until the 4 games are done that day. 45 minutes between games. The two semis on Friday with the final on Saturday. 3rd place game optional. Everyone would know that their team gets to go to Minneapolis each year. Book your tickets and rooms in advance. More fanbase to fill the arena. One big party.

oooww, I like this! While I kinda see the point of the first round on campus, I've never been a big fan of it. I'm ready for the playoffs at that point, but first, here's another full weekend...
  • Upvote 1

If I had the ability to make one change, and one change alone to the NCHC, it would be to make the playoff format a "one and done" format at one location. All 8 teams make the Frozen Faceoff. Start Thursday at 11:00 a.m., 10 a.m. if necessary, and go until the 4 games are done that day. 45 minutes between games. The two semis on Friday with the final on Saturday. 3rd place game optional. Everyone would know that their team gets to go to Minneapolis each year. Book your tickets and rooms in advance. More fanbase to fill the arena. One big party.

Interesting idea, but how would attendance look?

(Based in current standings)

Game #1: #4 Miami vs #5 Denver

Game #2: #3 UMD vs #6 St Cloud State

Game #3: #2 UND vs #7 Western Michigan

Game #4 #1 UNO vs #8 Colorado College

Full disclosure: I am a gal who has never played hockey, but aren't there also moments that can only be seen on ice? Wouldn't having an official in the press box reduce the "up close" views needed for certain calls? Or possibly delay games due to multiple reviews?

Get rid of the 3 point system

Ban shootouts, it's just a gimmick

Add in net goal cameras like the NHL (it's a dream and never will happen).

Have a in house replay official and/or a conference "war room" like the NHL.

Have 15 or 20 minute 5 on 5 overtimes and no 4 on 4 overtimes.

Since some are not happy with the Frozen Faceoff being at the Target Center, and I don't see an opportunity at the Xcel Energy Center until the new Red Wings Arena is built. The United Center wouldn't be a bad idea for the conference tournament.

• Upvote 1

Get rid of the 3 point system

Ban shootouts, it's just a gimmick

Add in net goal cameras like the NHL (it's a dream and never will happen).

Have a in house replay official and/or a conference "war room" like the NHL.

Have 15 or 20 minute 5 on 5 overtimes and no 4 on 4 overtimes.

Since some are not happy with the Frozen Faceoff being at the Target Center, and I don't see an opportunity at the Xcel Energy Center until the new Red Wings Arena is built. The United Center wouldn't be a bad idea for the conference tournament.

Agree with all the above, except the United Center deal. Are you talking about the NCHC at United or B1G. Too far to drive for NCHC.

Agree with all the above, except the United Center deal. Are you talking about the NCHC at United or B1G. Too far to drive for NCHC.

I think the B1G will make the new Red Wings Arena their permanent home. NCHC at the United Center if they can't get the Xcel. There is the possibility to have the attendance you see at the MSG when they host college hockey games each year at the United Center. 

I think the B1G will make the new Red Wings Arena their permanent home. NCHC at the United Center if they can't get the Xcel. There is the possibility to have the attendance you see at the MSG when they host college hockey games each year at the United Center.

I think they keep rotating between St. Paul and Detroit. Neither would let there hockey status accept anything less.

Ideally, I'd like to ditch the shootout...the PWR doesn't recognize them anyway. But, if we have to have them I'd be in favor of going with a 5-point system.

As for the booth official, I'm guessing it would be something that would have to come down from the NCAA, but it would be interesting to see the NCHC pioneer it with a couple exhibitions. I just wonder how Andy Murray would deal with one less person on the ice to complain at.

I'd like to see the names on the back of the officials' sweaters. Hockey East, for one, still does it as do the Women's WCHA. Can anyone explain to me what the NCHC is afraid of? Are they afraid the officials' feelings might get hurt by hecklers?

If I had the ability to make one change, and one change alone to the NCHC, it would be to make the playoff format a "one and done" format at one location.  All 8 teams make the Frozen Faceoff.  Start Thursday at 11:00 a.m., 10 a.m. if necessary, and go until the 4 games are done that day.  45 minutes between games.  The two semis on Friday with the final on Saturday.   3rd place game optional.  Everyone would know that their team gets to go to Minneapolis each year.  Book your tickets and rooms in advance.  More fanbase to fill the arena.  One big party.

From a tournament perspective I love this idea.   However, as we saw with the old Final Five, there seemed to be a real benefit in NCAA play if you didn't have to play 3 games the weekend prior.  Maybe my perception is wrong, but it seemed teams that played 3 games at the Final Five struggled in NCAA play.   I don't want to damage the NCHC team's ability to be successful at the NCAA's

Put the NCHC shoulder patch on the jerseys IN THE SCHOOL colors!

I actually like that idea. What conferences do that currently?

I'd like to see the names on the back of the officials' sweaters. Hockey East, for one, still does it as do the Women's WCHA. Can anyone explain to me what the NCHC is afraid of? Are they afraid the officials' feelings might get hurt by hecklers?

Like that one too. It's nice to know who the officials are, but like you said, I think it's only to avoid heckling.

From a tournament perspective I love this idea. However, as we saw with the old Final Five, there seemed to be a real benefit in NCAA play if you didn't have to play 3 games the weekend prior. Maybe my perception is wrong, but it seemed teams that played 3 games at the Final Five struggled in NCAA play. I don't want to damage the NCHC team's ability to be successful at the NCAA's

That's a good point, 2 games seems a lot less taxing the Final Five 3 game weekend did.

Some of you won't like "five point games".

Here's why I like the notion ... 

Which team do you want to play: The 10-0 team with 50 points or the 10-0 team with 30 points?

Which team do you want to play: The 0-10 team with 20 points or the 0-10 team with 0 points? 

Are you Tim Hennessey? He kept talk about how crazy it was a team didnt get at least a point for reaching OT. And I'm thinking where has this thought been the last ten years. A team has never gotten a point for reaching OT. 

I'm not sure all these points would ever change a league standings. As your example showed. They are the exact same this season. 

They actually took the names off when we were in the WCHA. Can't remember what year but they used to be there. Anonymity is the reason. We still know #3,#4,and #33.

We're not all that far removed from the 2 games total goals scored method of playoff advancement...the shootout is, was, and always will be a stonewashed pair of Bad Idea Jeans.

People that can't accept a tie are willing to settle things with a skills competition? Come on, this isn't soccer!
  • Upvote 2