SiouxSports.com Forum

The Truth

Fetch

Dude, you been living under a rock the lst 10 years?  YOu need to meet a good friend of mine.  His name is Reality!!  The name ain't coming back.  Time to move on.  The only way that there is even a chance for UND to be known as the Fighting Sioux ever again is if the NCAA changes its policy on native american names for college nicknames.  There is deffiitely a ZERO percent chance that will happen.  So that is why us here in the real worl realize that the name is not coming back.

Maybe seeking the council of a of a grammar expert  might do you some good :p

If schools like Stanford, St. Johns, Marquette, etc have not made an attempt to change back even before it wasn't an NCAA policy, why would you ever think that UND would now that there is a policy against natice american nicknames. 

Wait.. were you the one I saw the other day wearing a maroon "Redskins Forever" shirt?!! :)

Last time I checked, this is how you spell "definitely"......

While we are at it, one seeks counsel, not council as you have stated!

• Upvote 1

People voted for it because they had a gun to their head. And yes the gun is still sitting on the table but that doesn't mean people don't want to keep the name if there would be a way to accomplish that. And it certainly doesn't speak as to what any public sentiment is with regard to just being North Dakota vs getting a new nickname.

I also do not agree with you that the younger crowd has less passion for the name. On the contrary just look at the players words to hear their passion for our name.

...I'm suprised Fiason hasn't gone gestapo on them.

This is from the recent GF Herald Q&A piece with Colten St. Clair......

Q. If you were UND’s president for a day, what two things would you do?

A. Can I say bring back the Fighting Sioux logo? I’d bring back the logo, even if it was just for a day. And I’d maybe have a Red Pepper stand in the middle of campus.

He is not the first and probably won't be the last to answer the question in the similar manner. That is of course if someone from the University cries foul to the Herald and has them quit asking the question!

Maybe some of you holier-than-thou folks on this board should go tell Colten and the rest of our student-athletes that they need to move on like you've been preaching to us!

• Upvote 2

I wish people who are or could be taken as graduates or students of the Univ. of N. Dakota would pay more attention to grammar. A good starting point would be distinguishing between and properly using there/their/they're and your/you're. But then again, I admit t being a grammar Nazi.

I can assure you I know very well the difference between s possessive pronoun and a contraction...

Its just hard to catch when you ' re posting on yourrrr phone while driving.:-)

...if you ' re going to be a grammar Nazi why don't you work at teaching the entire state of North Dakota that it is "should have gone" or "should have come" Vs "should have went" or "should have came". :-)

I can assure you I know very well the difference between s possessive pronoun and a contraction...

...if you ' re going to be a grammar Nazi why don't you work at teaching the entire state of North Dakota that it is "should have gone or should have come. Vs should have went or should have came..:-)

How about "should OF gone" ? As in should OF gone to English class.

...if you ' re going to be a grammar Nazi why don't you work at teaching the entire state of North Dakota that it is "should have gone" or "should have come" Vs "should have went" or "should have came". :-)

Oh I can't leave out "should have done" vs "should have did"

That is Cober's favorite..:-)

I was a "forever" guy at one time; times, environments, conditions, consequences, changed, and so did I. 

I won't claim to speak for others, especially the dead.

I will note that positions must be viewed in the context of their times. 

We don't know what Mr. Englestad, the pragmatic business man, would have for a position today. To claim to know is foolhardy. 

• Upvote 4

This is from the recent GF Herald Q&A piece with Colten St. Clair......

Q. If you were UND’s president for a day, what two things would you do?

A. Can I say bring back the Fighting Sioux logo? I’d bring back the logo, even if it was just for a day. And I’d maybe have a Red Pepper stand in the middle of campus.

He is not the first and probably won't be the last to answer the question in the similar manner. That is of course if someone from the University cries foul to the Herald and has them quit asking the question!

Maybe some of you holier-than-thou folks on this board should go tell Colten and the rest of our student-athletes that they need to move on like you've been preaching to us!

Agreed!

Most if not all of the hockey players continue to reference us as the Sioux and always will. Even many of the incoming football recruits twitter feeds refer to us as the Sioux.

• Upvote 1

Agreed!

Most if not all of the hockey players continue to reference us as the Sioux and always will. Even many of the incoming football recruits twitter feeds refer to us as the Sioux.

Because we don't have another name...yet.  Then, those players will refer to that name.   :0

• Upvote 4

The "pissed off citizenry" I see voted by a significant margin to end this gong show (and to quit bleeding money into it) by voting to allow UND to remove the name. 

What I see now are more and more people asking, "Why isn't this done yet?"

Purely anecdotal, but I see the younger folks saying, "Just pick something and move on" and the ... ahem ... "more mature" crowd wallowing in history. 

Disclaimer: My ID puts me on the line between younger and "more mature". Heck, I've never been accused of being too mature. :D

Really?  That must be why two "younger folks" who are recent Fighting Sioux hockey recruits denoted #Fighting Sioux in their correspondence when they indicated that they had chosen UND. 

Really?  That must be why two "younger folks" who are recent Fighting Sioux hockey recruits denoted #Fighting Sioux in their correspondence when they indicated that they had chosen UND. 

Because we don't have another name...yet.  Then, those players will refer to that name.    :0

You can't fill a void with a nothing. 

I like how the name lover's act like President Kelly or UND or Faison are going to start "telling the media they cannot ask about the Sioux name" - or "make you stop wearing your Sioux gear!".  They have not done it yet and never will but you guys keep threatening that they are going to, with no proof to back it up.  Bunch of tough guys on here for no reason.  Stop fear mongering.

Well, when you combine a "process" to select a nickname - any reasonable nickname - as soon as possible with the reason being to "encourage" people not only to yell anything other than "Fighting Sioux" at games but also to "cleanse" people from thinking about the former nickname along with certain parties - yes, the very same ones that the university and Kelley cow-towed to in the first place -- on campus assaulting the general public with invective about not allowing people to wear Fighting Sioux attire on campus, it's really not too much of a stretch. 

Well, when you combine a "process" to select a nickname - any reasonable nickname - as soon as possible with the reason being to "encourage" people not only to yell anything other than "Fighting Sioux" at games but also to "cleanse" people from thinking about the former nickname along with certain parties - yes, the very same ones that the university and Kelley cow-towed to in the first place -- on campus assaulting the general public with invective about not allowing people to wear Fighting Sioux attire on campus, it's really not too much of a stretch.

By cow-towing you mean settle, versus shut down athletics. Making sure I understand correctly.

You can't fill a void with a nothing. 

No "void".  It's "North Dakota".  It certainly would make sense that they'd have denoted #North Dakota, accordingly.  Choose any replacement and they probably would have done the same thing.  When "progressive change" is effected through monopolistic fiat and economic terrorism, when you have some affected parties accept it for pragmatic reasons (and this is being all too generous in describing that particular sentiment) and when you have a rush to change based upon not only transparent and flawed reasoning but an explicit desire to expunge the former name and logo from the vernacular and from people's thinking, you're going to have long-lasting, vociferous, significant opposition. 

• Upvote 2

Last time I checked, UND campus was not located in North Korea.  So I am pretty sure you will be ok wearing your Sioux clothing on campus. 

By cow-towing you mean settle, versus shut down athletics. Making sure I understand correctly.

No.  You understand incorrectly so your stated self-assurance is for naught, unfortunately.   For purposes of clarification, there are professors and administrators and some students on the UND campus who have stated that the simple wearing of Fighting Sioux attire causes a "hostile" atmosphere on campus and makes a lot of people want to cry.  It's these that I'm referring to.  I don't think UND settled with any of them. 

No.  You understand incorrectly so your stated self-assurance is for naught, unfortunately.   For purposes of clarification, there are professors and administrators and some students on the UND campus who have stated that the simple wearing of Fighting Sioux attire causes a "hostile" atmosphere on campus and makes a lot of people want to cry.  It's these that I'm referring to.  I don't think UND settled with any of them. 

I wear my Fighting Sioux clothing on campus all the time and don't hear any of these things that you speak of on a daily basis -- or ever for that matter. And even if I did, I would respect someone's opinion to say whatever the hell they want, and I'd just keep wearing the stuff. Just because the NCAA says the school cannot be the Fighting Sioux without sanctions, does not mean I have to stop wearing it. And when a new name is selected someday, I'll probably change it up, and wear the new name and logo gear some days (but then, I will probably have to listen to the boos and hisses from the nickname at all costs crowd telling me that I can't wear the new stuff because I sold my soul or something -- to which I would respectfully ignore, allow them their opinion and keep on doing whatever the hell I want to as an individual.)  See, it can go both ways.

• Upvote 3