SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky reviewing bids for M/W tournaments for 2016-18

SiouxVolley

OK, I'm a geek.

I took the lon/lat of the 12 BSC cities and averaged them: Aberdeen, ID (just NW of Pocatello). 

That means the closest major airport / major airline (Delta) hub: Salt Lake City

I think if Weber would have found a different venue in or around SLC, they would have had a great chance to host.  It is really too bad because the Maverik Center in West Valley City, UT would have been a perfect venue.  Easy travel, and real close the Big Sky's biggest basketball fan base.

Sac St. is really the only close Big sky school to Reno, and they won't bring anyone.  The financial part of their bid must have blown everybody away.

Here is the official press release.

As expected, all 12 teams will participate.

I totally understand the financial and logistical reasons for doing this.  All things considered, Reno was the logical choice among the candidates, even though I hate it, I understand it.  Billings really shot themselves in the foot by only bidding the men's side.  Ogden/SLC/Weber shot themselves in the foot by not pursuing an off campus venue. 

I think the thing I will miss the most about the old format even more than the champion hosting, is that not all teams got into the tournament.  That alone really made the regular season exciting.

I know attendance is probably one of the least important factors in something like this, but I really question whether or not the title game will even draw 2,000 fans even if it is Weber v. Montana who have the best fanbases.

Here is the official press release.

As expected, all 12 teams will participate.

I totally understand the financial and logistical reasons for doing this. All things considered, Reno was the logical choice among the candidates, even though I hate it, I understand it. Billings really shot themselves in the foot by only bidding the men's side. Ogden/SLC/Weber shot themselves in the foot by not pursuing an off campus venue.

I think the thing I will miss the most about the old format even more than the champion hosting, is that not all teams got into the tournament. That alone really made the regular season exciting.

I know attendance is probably one of the least important factors in something like this, but I really question whether or not the title game will even draw 2,000 fans even if it is Weber v. Montana who have the best fanbases.

Why will all 12 teams participate? Makes the regular season meaningless, isn't this what we poked fun of the Slummit League doing? I guess everyone should get a ribbon at the end of year too.

Why will all 12 teams participate? Makes the regular season meaningless, isn't this what we poked fun of the Slummit League doing? I guess everyone should get a ribbon at the end of year too.

Boosts attendance. People can plan ahead because they know their team will be there. Don't agree with it but I understand it.

Do you poke fun at the Pac 12, Big 10, ACC and SEC, too?  All of them let the entire league participate in the conference tournament.  Most leagues do.  As jdub notes, it can help get fans involved since they know their team is going to play at least 1 game in the tournament.  If you could get 500 fans from each school to show up you would have 6,000 people in the stands.

With UNO becoming eligible for the SLT next year, only the top 8 teams will make the tournament leaving 1 team out. 

Do you poke fun at the Pac 12, Big 10, ACC and SEC, too? All of them let the entire league participate in the conference tournament. Most leagues do. As jdub notes, it can help get fans involved since they know their team is going to play at least 1 game in the tournament. If you could get 500 fans from each school to show up you would have 6,000 people in the stands.

It cheapens the regular season, hell lets go 0 for the seson and make a run in the tournament. It will up with poor attendance to those fan bases that care enough to go to Reno and when it flops it will come back to the regular season winner.

As for making fun of the power conferences I don't because they aren't going to be a #16 seed playin team to go to the dance unlike a last place BSC team that makes a run in the conference tourny and ends up winning it. What fun is winning the conference tourny only to play a playin game and maybe get a chance at the dance. Wouldn't look good to have the field of 64 on that Thursday without a BSC team because they lost the playin game.

I like that fact that it is a small venue - 5000 seats. I think we might be surprised at attendance at championship game. First round games - no so much. Would personally rather go to Reno than Billings.

I agree that attendance might not look that bad in a smaller arena like that. Plenty of alumni of those schools in the area. Overall I don't think Reno is an awful choice, but I'd prefer Sioux Falls. I'll just leave it at that rather than start that argument up. 

• Upvote 1

Most conferences have all of their teams participate, so I am not surprised by that change. It doesn't mean the regular season is meaningless. It was just a unique feature of the Big Sky that I felt set it apart a little bit, and made some regular season games more intense.

It cheapens the regular season, hell lets go 0 for the seson and make a run in the tournament. It will up with poor attendance to those fan bases that care enough to go to Reno and when it flops it will come back to the regular season winner.

As for making fun of the power conferences I don't because they aren't going to be a #16 seed playin team to go to the dance unlike a last place BSC team that makes a run in the conference tourny and ends up winning it. What fun is winning the conference tourny only to play a playin game and maybe get a chance at the dance. Wouldn't look good to have the field of 64 on that Thursday without a BSC team because they lost the playin game.

If every other conference is doing it, it doesn't cheapen the regular season.  It just gives every team a chance, something that the rest of Division I also does.  What are the chances of a team going 0 for the regular season and making a run through the tournament?  Almost none.  They would have to win 4 straight.  And if they did, they would get more air time during March Madness than any Big Sky team has ever gotten.  It wouldn't matter if they were playing in the play-in game or a Thursday afternoon game.  Since that is the big advantage to playing in the Tournament, the goal would be met.

If every other conference is doing it, it doesn't cheapen the regular season. It just gives every team a chance, something that the rest of Division I also does. What are the chances of a team going 0 for the regular season and making a run through the tournament? Almost none. They would have to win 4 straight. And if they did, they would get more air time during March Madness than any Big Sky team has ever gotten. It wouldn't matter if they were playing in the play-in game or a Thursday afternoon game. Since that is the big advantage to playing in the Tournament, the goal would be met.

I want UND to play on a Thursday not a Tuesday or Wednesday. The goal is to be in the dance not in a play-in game.

No we did not poke fun at them....Pac 12, Big 10, ACC and SEC, Big East  ....ect ect.ect all have a normal conference tourney.Long over due for the Big Sky to catch up with reality!

No we did not poke fun at them....Pac 12, Big 10, ACC and SEC, Big East ....ect ect.ect all have a normal conference tourney.Long over due for the Big Sky to catch up with reality!

I'm sure if I check the archives there are rips on the SL about this, since every other parts of the SL has been ripped about.

I want UND to play on a Thursday not a Tuesday or Wednesday. The goal is to be in the dance not in a play-in game.

What would happen if the eighth place Big Sky team had made a run last year. There would've been a very good chance that team would've had to play a "play-in" game also. Maybe the the Big Sky should limit the tournament to the top four teams, or maybe even the top two to almost guarantee the winner won't play in the play in game.

What would happen if the eighth place Big Sky team had made a run last year. There would've been a very good chance that team would've had to play a "play-in" game also. Maybe the the Big Sky should limit the tournament to the top four teams, or maybe even the top two to almost guarantee the winner won't play in the play in game.

Or better yet....get rid of the damn play in games. You win a conference title only to play another conference title team to be the #16 seed team in the bracket. I would rather see a BSC team play a #1 then another #16 seed team.

• Upvote 1

Or better yet....get rid of the damn play in games. You win a conference title only to play another conference title team to be the #16 seed team in the bracket. I would rather see a BSC team play a #1 then another #16 seed team.

Then you upset the power conferences who end up losing a couple of at large berths. That would be just one more reason for the P5 to break away from the NCAA or create their own division.