SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky reviewing bids for M/W tournaments for 2016-18

SiouxVolley

Just for a discussion point, here is the attendance numbers for the Big Sky championship game the last few years:

2014:  6294 @ Ogden

2013:  7172 @ Missoula

2012:  7042 @ Missoula

2011:  3182 @ Greeley

2010:  6308 @ Ogden

2009:  1546 @ Ogden

2008:  4113 @ Porland

2009 was the only year that the host school wasn't in the championship game.

Here is the last two years attendance for all games of the WAC tournament held in Las Vegas:

2014:  1284

2013:  1092

I worry that a Big Sky Tournament in Reno might have numbers similar that of the WAC in recent years.

Has anyone been to Reno?  It's not exactly a destination city.  I could see a rotation of Denver and Portland as those two are more likely to draw fans who want to do more than watch basketball.

I would think the best location not only in the BSC footprint but an easy target for flights would be Denver.

Salt Lake City would be more central, closer to the usual conference contenders (Weber, Montana, EWU) and has good flight connections, if they would make a bid.

Fargo does through Delta.

Does the ridiculousness regarding UND recruits flying in/out of Fargo extend to UND fans as well? Or would that be allowed by operation forensic accountants at bisonation? I'm assuming the team would not be flying coach and would go direct from GF no matter the destination.

Does the ridiculousness regarding UND recruits flying in/out of Fargo extend to UND fans as well? Or would that be allowed by operation forensic accountants at bisonation? I'm assuming the team would not be flying coach and would go direct from GF no matter the destination.

Doubtful. I believe UND basketball normally flies coach and usually out of Fargo as well.

Doubtful. I believe UND basketball normally flies coach and usually out of Fargo as well.

Usually a lot to go west out of Fargo but they do fly out of GFK as well.  Multiple factors determine which place they fly out of. Last week they did fly to MSP en route to Moscow out of Fargo but they will also typically catch flights to Denver out of Fargo rather than going east to MSP.

• 2 weeks later...

This article in the Pocatello newspaper discusses several Big Sky tournament topics.   

http://magicvalley.com/sports/local/troubles-looming-in-the-big-sky-conference/article_b7632335-3267-5aae-80c9-e8da9de552e8.html

Future neutral sites:

School presidents will vote on what to do and if a site is chosen, it’s expected to host for the next three years. But Kasper cautioned that university presidents don’t have to vote to go anywhere.

This year's tournament should Sac State win the regular season:

The conference is now looking at possibly playing the men’s tournament in either Stockton, Calif. or Reno, Nev. But if the cost is prohibitive and nothing can be worked out, the second place finisher will have the right to host the event on their home floor.

Lack of BBall attendance across the league:

Attendance, particularly for men’s basketball, is also a concern. As of the middle of January the men’s teams were averaging only 1,764 fans per game. If that stands it would be the lowest average attendance since the conference began keeping records in 1975-1976.

Loveland/Greeley and Flagstaff are out of the running.......

It seems as though the bid from Billings does not include the women's tournament.  If they are going to do this, I don't understand why they would be separated.
lg-share-en.gif

Just curious if there are any fans here that realistically would make a trip to the Big Sky tournament if it were held at a predetermined site. 

Personally speaking, if it did land in Billings, which is an 8 hour drive for me, I would probably make that drive IF UND were the #1 seed and there is a good chance that I'd see them make the NCAA Tournament.  I would probably make the trip under the same circumstances to anywhere that I could fly from ND non-stop like Vegas, SLC, Denver. 

I can't imagine I would ever make the effort to get to a place like Reno. 

I am just curious if there would be any interest in this from regular fans if they did have time to plan the trip.  I think the fact the Frozen Face Off is a week later is always going to limit attendance from the UND faithful.  I plan on going to that every year that UND makes it, so two consecutive weekends of travel like that would be tough.  Hence my #1 seed requirement.

I would do Billings and possibly Salt Lake (if it was an option). Direct flight from Fargo to Salt Lake makes that easier (but more costly) than the drive to Billings. I would like to think that in the next two years, when/if we have a legit chance of winning I will go.

Gotta be at place of conf champ. Anywhere else, attendance lacks big-time.

Agree.  The way it currently is when the home team plays the crowds are good and the other games which do not involve the home team the stadium is empty except family and friends.  Neutral site every game will be basically empty because it's not the type of conference that will draw local people to watch.

Agree. The way it currently is when the home team plays the crowds are good and the other games which do not involve the home team the stadium is empty except family and friends. Neutral site every game will be basically empty because it's not the type of conference that will draw local people to watch.

Plus it makes the regular season more special, because everyone knows if you win the conference you host the tournament.

Phoenix, Vegas, Salt Lake City, Denver would be the only places I would go, and it would have to be Men and Women so I could watch both. Spokane might be an ok option, but traveling from ND to there is tough. 

My ideal location would be Sioux Falls and I would go every year...yes joining the Summit League. I love the Big Sky for FB, but I would prefer the Summit for hoops because I could make at least 1-2 road games a year (NDSU, SDSU, USD, Omaha, or Denver) and UND would also get those teams at home. I think that would help grow UND's basketball brand locally, and I think attendance would rise as well. Not going to happen, but that is my opinion. 

I have yet to make a Big Sky road game, and back in the NCC I could make many. The Summit allows that for fans and I think it would bring a lot more casual UND basketball fans out to games. 

Phoenix, Vegas, Salt Lake City, Denver would be the only places I would go, and it would have to be Men and Women so I could watch both. Spokane might be an ok option, but traveling from ND to there is tough. 

My ideal location would be Sioux Falls and I would go every year...yes joining the Summit League. I love the Big Sky for FB, but I would prefer the Summit for hoops because I could make at least 1-2 road games a year (NDSU, SDSU, USD, Omaha, or Denver) and UND would also get those teams at home. I think that would help grow UND's basketball brand locally, and I think attendance would rise as well. Not going to happen, but that is my opinion. 

I have yet to make a Big Sky road game, and back in the NCC I could make many. The Summit allows that for fans and I think it would bring a lot more casual UND basketball fans out to games. 

Well, I would say there is about zero interest in leaving the Sky for the Summit.    Ain't gonna happen and the only advantage would be travel costs.    Every other advantage is with the BSC.

We did play at UNO, SDSU, and NDSU the last two seasons so there is 1-2 road games one could have attended of late.

NDSU obviously draws fans, but other than them, I've come to the conclusion that most fans don't really care who the opponent is.

I am going to agree with you on this. I really badly want UND to join the Summit or at least join the Dakota schools. Also, having Denver and Omaha would be cool too due to hockey. I really question what the advantages are of the Big Sky?