SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky reviewing bids for M/W tournaments for 2016-18

SiouxVolley

Why have we not bid for this?

Does it generally fall the same weekend as first round of NCHC playoffs?  That could have been a deterrent as most athletic departments would be stretched thin if two different big events were happening at the same time.   

The Alerus could have bid. The Betty is too small. But Big Sky fans would pay air fare to go to Grand Forks in March. Just don't see GF having a chance in a vote.

Don't you realize?  It's always Faison's fault.  He should have had employees spend dozens of hours on a bid for this.  There's no way he did any research to gauge the interest from other schools in attending a tournament in Grand Forks.  :silly:

Or at least hire an external company to create the bid, as UND is just rolling in dough and shouldn't have moved up to D1 if they couldn't afford to throw money at any and everything some message board posters don't like.

Don't you realize?  It's always Faison's fault.  He should have had employees spend dozens of hours on a bid for this.  There's no way he did any research to gauge the interest from other schools in attending a tournament in Grand Forks.  :silly:

Or at least hire an external company to create the bid, as UND is just rolling in dough and shouldn't have moved up to D1 if they couldn't afford to throw money at any and everything some message board posters don't like.

Okay, let me explain it to you again.  Faison could have at least put in a bid just in case that is where the league decided to go.  What is there to lose?  We used to host D-II WBB regionals at the Betty when the MH team was at home at REA, so I don't think it's impossible to do.  And I am sorry, but Faison is responsible for stuff like this so if a bid isn't submitted, it is on him.  Just how expensive and time consuming could bidding for a conference tournament be?  I don't know, but I imagine it wouldn't rise to the level of an NCAA bid.  Any chance that gives our MBB and/or WBB teams the best chance they can get to make the NCAA tournament (and all the benefits that go along with it) is worth taking.

And it is totally and completely fair to expect a school to have the appropriate resources for a successful Division I move before the decision is actually made and paperwork signed and submitted.  I think it can be argued that NDSU's transition period was way more successful than our own.  That is what has some of us a little concerned, even with the hiring of Bubba (who is working out very nicely) and Brewster (who has the women's team in a very good place).  But please continue with your admonishments of me and others you don't agree with. :silly:

So Missoula, Flagstaff, Ogden, Cheney, and Greeley wasted their time by bidding?  Personally I think Reno would be best. 

It might be best to do what the Slummit did; pick one neutral site (Sioux Falls) and then everyone knows where the tournament will be held every year.  I don't know what would work for a far-flung conference like the Big Sky (no matter where you put it, travel will be an issue), but maybe that is the fairest and simplest solution.

Sure Faison could have put a bid in for Grand Forks, but there would be a very slim chance that they would be awarded it given the fact how far Grand Forks is for every other member school. It would be like having the Big 10 basketball tournament in Pittsburgh.  Right now the Big Sky has great attendance due to the #1 seed hosting.  Very good chance that the host school will now play 3 games.  Could you imagine the attendance if they had it at the Alerus and UND lost in the first round or didn't even make it?  The Big Sky is not going to have this happen.  I also agree that having the First round NCHC games typically at home that same weekend will deffinitely prevent a lot of people from going to games.

IMO, Reno probable has the strongest case given it is not at a host school and deffinitely a destination location for fans.

Okay, let me explain it to you again.  Faison could have at least put in a bid just in case that is where the league decided to go.  What is there to lose?  We used to host D-II WBB regionals at the Betty when the MH team was at home at REA, so I don't think it's impossible to do.  And I am sorry, but Faison is responsible for stuff like this so if a bid isn't submitted, it is on him.  Just how expensive and time consuming could bidding for a conference tournament be?  I don't know, but I imagine it wouldn't rise to the level of an NCAA bid.  Any chance that gives our MBB and/or WBB teams the best chance they can get to make the NCAA tournament (and all the benefits that go along with it) is worth taking.

And it is totally and completely fair to expect a school to have the appropriate resources for a successful Division I move before the decision is actually made and paperwork signed and submitted.  I think it can be argued that NDSU's transition period was way more successful than our own.  That is what has some of us a little concerned, even with the hiring of Bubba (who is working out very nicely) and Brewster (who has the women's team in a very good place).  But please continue with your admonishments of me and others you don't agree with. :silly:

Just because Faison could have put in a bid doesn't mean he has to.  As someone who works for a college conference and an athletic department in a separate conference, I know the ADs communicate with each other on a regular basis so it wouldn't be surprising if Faison reached out to the other ADs to see if there would be a chance of a positive vote for GF.  But he should just submit a bid so it looks good to others.

Of course having appropriate resources is necessary to being a successful D1 program.  Where has that not been the case?  Bubba and Brewster (2/3 of the non-hockey money-making sports at UND) are being paid sufficiently.  As is the volleyball coach.  Jones started as a D2 coach but does he deserve a raise just because the school is now D1?  As you've clearly commented, he doesn't deserve to coach the rest of this season let alone a raise.

Since the transition was completed UND has hired new football, women's basketball, and volleyball coaches and they're being paid appropriately.  UND paid the buyout for Mussman's contract which undoubtedly cost the University money it could have used elsewhere.  UND paid most of the cost for $4million new turf at the Alerus.  UND is building the largest indoor practice field in the country.  The way you make it sound, it's like UND is just scraping the barrel to get by.  Look how long it took for NDSU to renovate the BSA.  Just because they were athletically more successful doesn't mean they are financially more successful although their football wins have helped a lot. 

Just because Faison could have put in a bid doesn't mean he has to. As someone who works for a college conference and an athletic department in a separate conference, I know the ADs communicate with each other on a regular basis so it wouldn't be surprising if Faison reached out to the other ADs to see if there would be a chance of a positive vote for GF. But he should just submit a bid so it looks good to others.

Of course having appropriate resources is necessary to being a successful D1 program. Where has that not been the case? Bubba and Brewster (2/3 of the non-hockey money-making sports at UND) are being paid sufficiently. As is the volleyball coach. Jones started as a D2 coach but does he deserve a raise just because the school is now D1? As you've clearly commented, he doesn't deserve to coach the rest of this season let alone a raise.

Since the transition was completed UND has hired new football, women's basketball, and volleyball coaches and they're being paid appropriately. UND paid the buyout for Mussman's contract which undoubtedly cost the University money it could have used elsewhere. UND paid most of the cost for $4million new turf at the Alerus. UND is building the largest indoor practice field in the country. The way you make it sound, it's like UND is just scraping the barrel to get by. Look how long it took for NDSU to renovate the BSA. Just because they were athletically more successful doesn't mean they are financially more successful although their football wins have helped a lot.

What's really funny is that NDSU is short like $3 mill on their remodel. Just rolling in deep doodoo there.

Wait til the legislature digs into this. NDSU will have to have their athletes working jobs to pay for its lieing about the BSA money. Gene Tayors parting gift, as he didn't want to leave there without a major renovation under his belt. He learned a lot of lessons from the older boy Chapman.

It might be best to do what the Slummit did; pick one neutral site (Sioux Falls) and then everyone knows where the tournament will be held every year. I don't know what would work for a far-flung conference like the Big Sky (no matter where you put it, travel will be an issue), but maybe that is the fairest and simplest solution.

Billings is analogous to Sioux Falls. Reno will be ho hum about the whole deal.

Bismarck should have bid, but state tournaments probably nixed it.

Any proof behind this?

It's on the zonville board. Second hand knowledge from the horse's mouth too.

If it wasn't true, bison trolls would be all over this. This board is so heavily monitored by the bison, that they been given an honorary espionage certificate from Fruit Loops.