SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (2-4) @ EWU (5-1)

SWSiouxMN

UND needed to get a big time win in Moscow last night to stop the 4 game slide and get some positive momentum, and with a 2nd half flurry they did.  Now they take a short trip into Washington to take on the Eagles. 

Eastern has been playing well all year, Tyler Harvey is a straight up baller and leads the nation in scoring (the man is shooting nearly 50% from behind the arc... 50!).  Jois is a versatile big that can pull a double-double every night (status unknown due to injury). Drew Brandon is another guard that is very underrated for the Eagles, on several occasions this season he has been close to putting up a triple double. 

UND is 4-0 all time verses the Eagles in Big Sky play.

UND cannot get into a track meet with these guys, they need to keep the score relatively low, take high percentage shots to have a chance.  If they somehow pull off the road sweep, it takes a lot of the 0-3 home stand sting out (although the what if question will start to creep into my head... again)   With a struggling Weber and ISU teams next week at home... going into the 2nd half of the schedule 4-5 doesn't sound that bad if they don't win here.

Other games:

Sac @ Weber

SUU @ Mont 

UNC @ Idaho

PSU @ ISU

NAU @ MSU

I don't have a subsciption to the Lewiston, Idaho, newspaper, so I cannot read the whole thing....but I can tell from the teaser that I would be in for a very well-informed, impartial sports column.   ???

No-nickname UND slips past Vandals

Idaho's strong start doesn't last, as team formerly known as Fighting Sioux nabs victory

Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 12:00 am

By DALE GRUMMERT OF THE TRIBUNE | 1 comment

MOSCOW - At various times in the first half, it was easy to look at the North Dakota No-Names and wonder if the NCAA had co-opted their identity when it ushered away their Fighting Sioux mascot.

Maybe the Idaho Vandals wondered that as well.

I don't have a subsciption to the Lewiston, Idaho, newspaper, so I cannot read the whole thing....but I can tell from the teaser that I would be in for a very well-informed, impartial sports column. ???

No-nickname UND slips past Vandals

Idaho's strong start doesn't last, as team formerly known as Fighting Sioux nabs victory

Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 12:00 am

By DALE GRUMMERT OF THE TRIBUNE | 1 comment

MOSCOW - At various times in the first half, it was easy to look at the North Dakota No-Names and wonder if the NCAA had co-opted their identity when it ushered away their Fighting Sioux mascot.

Maybe the Idaho Vandals wondered that as well.</p>

They can call us what they want but also call us winners.

41-35 UND. Nice little 6-0 run for us after EWU tied it at 35. We led by as many as 9 and were down only once at a score of 4-3. Antwi having a nice game with a couple of threes. Shanks, de Rouen and Hooker all have at least 2 fouls. Shanks and de Rouen didn't play much the end of the half.

Very good first half,  need to take advantage of this EWU team with their 2nd best player (Jois) in street clothes.  Jois is a beast down low and always gives us lots of problems.  After hardly playing at all the last game for some reason Antwi has 10 first half points and has been a great spark off the bench.

Hooker was stellar again yesterday. Big game from Nash as well.

Nash looked good from the line as well (9-10 for the whole weekend). Lenny had a nice game as well too, picked up the slack from De Rouen and Tyler, who didn't have the greatest of shooting nights.

They needed to get at least one of these games this weekend and they did that.  The Weber/ISU games are to me a must sweep situation.  Weber is struggling right now and we need to jump all over that on Thursday. They will eventually get it going and start the march back up the conference leaderboard, make sure it is not against us. ISU is still expected to compete for a playoff spot so winning that game could mean the difference between getting in and behind left out.

4-5 at the end of the first half, with SUU x2, NAU x2, MSU, Mont, @ PSU, @ UNC, and @ Sac for the 2nd half of the conference schedule.  IMO, we need to finish at a minimum 7-4 the rest of the way, and that should get UND in.  8-3 would be better.  Anything less and they will need help, but how the conference is shaking out right now, 9 is the magic number.