SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

3-400 Million is what I think a new nice stadium would cost. If we were in Cali would could do a great one for 70-80 million or even less. SDSU is renovating their open air place from a !@#$ hole to one of the best in the country for 66 million. Here's how they did it. http://danajdykhousestadium.com/project-details/ 

Went to a game in Brookings in 2002 (the game Klosterman hurt himself and effectively ended our season) and it really was a crap hole. Went to a game in 2010 (the coldest game I have ever been to) and it looked much, much better. Nice to see them investing some serious coin into their program.

Scheels inventories the gear that sells.  If you lived in Fargo through the late 90s and most of the first decade of the 00s it was Sioux gear everywhere.  The ac marketing was awful.

It is not a coincidence this is tied to winning.

I haven't been in the GF store but I'm guessing it is the football gear that is scarce and not the hockey stuff?

Before the move to D1, UND gear in the Fargo Scheels ran about 50/50 with NDSU gear. NDSU moved to D1 and stepped up their marketing game.

As with any store that is trying to turn a profit, they are going to order in what sells.

When we start winning games again, the atmosphere will improve. What part of that do people not understand? Do you really want to go back outside so we can have 2,000 people for a November home game with a game time temp of 28 degrees?

Absolutely not.  I remember some of the great teams playing for a conference championship in November with almost nobody in the stands.

Winning isn't the only thing (although it is most important).  Look how long it has taken to make even some basic changes fans had been asking for.

3-400 Million is what I think a new nice stadium would cost. If we were in Cali would could do a great one for 70-80 million or even less. SDSU is renovating their open air place from a !@#$ hole to one of the best in the country for 66 million. Here's how they did it. http://danajdykhousestadium.com/project-details/ 

This shows a capacity at SDSU at a little less than 20,000.  One of the SDSU shows on Midcontinent said 25,000.  

Well South Dakota State added on to their Stadioum so the seating capacity is 25,000.  Are they setting themselves up to be ready for some sort of move.  What would UND have to do to be ready in case things move in a different direction with the Big Sky or making a different move with some of the Dakota schools? 25,000 seats for a small town like Brookings seems like a lot. 

They have vision and balls. The is a great recipe for success. I'd like to see more of this type of thinking from UND. We need to see more success first though, SDSU has been very good since moving up. We also have some football alums who are very successful. You'd think our university could make it happen with a mix of big private donations student fees state dollars etc.

They have vision and balls. The is a great recipe for success. I'd like to see more of this type of thinking from UND. We need to see more success first though, SDSU has been very good since moving up. We also have some football alums who are very successful. You'd think our university could make it happen with a mix of big private donations student fees state dollars etc.

Yep, unfortunately these types of projection usually leak information to at least stir rumor. haven't heard any chatter about stadium type project for a while. The IPF is great, and I don't want to get too greedy, but getting a legitimate, on-campus, stadium would be a really nice facilities investment for the program.

Yep, unfortunately these types of projection usually leak information to at least stir rumor. haven't heard any chatter about stadium type project for a while. The IPF is great, and I don't want to get too greedy, but getting a legitimate, on-campus, stadium would be a really nice facilities investment for the program.

You know, they might have blown their chance. They should have sold the rights to determine the new nickname. ;)

Facilities are certainly not the only factor to a program's success, but the DO help. I love UND hockey, and they typically generate a ton of money to take care of themselves, but there are other sports on campus. The school even did a nice job with the Betty for Basketball. Would love to see football on campus.

During Saturday's game, I went to buy some merchandise for my kid, only to find out that they don't sell merchandise.  I was told they did last year, but apparently the vendor backed out this year, or something like that.  I wonder how many other FCS venues don't sell merchandise?  Is that normal?  It seemed odd to me.  

Also, is it even possible to buy an official UND football jersey?  All they had a Scheels was the black Nike 84 Hardin jerseys.  I realize the Adidas jerseys are new, but I'd like to think that a fan would be able to buy a current UND football jersey.  

Speaking of Scheels, the new store is really nice, but I couldn't help but notice they have A LOT of Bison stuff in there.  If NDSU has infiltrated Grand Forks, then I shudder to think what's going on in the rest of the State.   

I wonder if you and I asked the same customer service rep?  This sounds like exactly the same conversation my daughter and I had with the rep by the Club 42 stand at halftime last week.

I don't know what it would take, but getting some more natural light into the Alerus would be great (what they've already added out in the main hallway is nice).

This might be key. I don't know what it is for sure but every time I go into the Alerus I feel like I am ready to take a nap and it might be for this reason.

Also, I know it was mentioned after the first week but seriously what is up with the pregame? The video actually looked pretty cool but you could hardly tell it was playing with the lights on and everything. I just don't understand.

• Upvote 2

I have been told by a member of the coaching staff that there is a long term goal to bring the team back to campus.  I can't imagine it's anytime soon, though.  Decades for sure.

The long term facility plan has a stadium on the site of Memorial Stadium. There were links on this site that have been shared multiple times. One of the architectural firms also had them on their web site. It would probably be somewhere between 5 and 25 years before it would happen. The lease for the Alerus Center has about 7 years left on it.

The long term facility plan has a stadium on the site of Memorial Stadium. There were links on this site that have been shared multiple times. One of the architectural firms also had them on their web site. It would probably be somewhere between 5 and 25 years before it would happen. The lease for the Alerus Center has about 7 years left on it.

I believe this is what you were mentioning:

http://grandforkslife.blogspot.com/2007/12/und-is-planning-for-future.html

That was the plan. JLG did it as a part of the process UND went through in moving to Division I. As you can see from the pictures, and is mentioned in the text, the outdoor layout as it is pictured will not fit on the property with the practice facility. This is just a concept, so a retractable stadium may or may not stay in the plans. UND is in the process of updating the long term master plan as a part of the North Dakota University System planning process. I believe that the goal is to have the NDUS plans updated by April 1, 2016, but that may not need to include all specifics. And as always, plans can change.

My girlfriends brothers wife is an insider. 

Hyssop going to be torn down

mens women's swimming done

all offices in hpac. 

Und to to build new stadium where memorial and dirt is with the trains as a nice back drop. New parking ramp across from the nygard international football stadium

But I thought you were an insider. Kind of disappointed now. 

Two years ago you could find maybe two bison things tucked away in the gf scheels. Winning 4 in a row and gf expanding their stoor in a new location = more space and more everything, including bison gear. Once we get really good at football again and maybe once the hockey team stops choking there will be even more UND stuff. A new nickname and logo may help as well.

Ditto  A logo would really help (one that is supported by fans, community, and staff).  Can't say I was impressed when I read some suggestions in the paper.  I mean NO ONE in MN liked the Wild when it was announced but it grows on you.

Retro fitting a building is expensive and difficult...then you seem to lose whatever warranties you have because when problems develop, everyone points fingers.

I would totally support banners, posters, photos of players, other UND teams, etc.  I like the 4th quarter beer special and maybe ties to a  "Get a XXX  Beer for XXX with every quarterback sack!"   Anything to create an atmosphere...but, a winning team does that.

Patience, Patience

GO SIOUX!!!

This is just a guess but with the amount of apartments on the very west edge of campus, the ones north of the Alerus and the ones by Ray Rich I would guess more students live closer to the Alerus than old memorial. I also like all the hotels and the canad complex. They'll probably be more bars and restaurants around there in a few years too. Amount of space for parking and tailgating is way better than memorial.

People forget November games in the cold at memorial, I'll take tailgating all morning watching the game in a chair back seat with a beer in my hand while I look at a 2 million dollar jumbotron and then walking down the hall to playmakers for post game as my game days over any day at memorial. 

Get more people in the seats, get more natural lighting, more UND tradition stuff, a few more bells and whistles and a long range plan to have seating to 15-20k if needed. 

I'm all for a new stadium if we could get the money, but I think the Alerus is great when you think location parking, tailgating and overall amenities. It's not REA (which we are extremely spoiled with) but it's easily a top 15 FCS facility factoring everything in. 

For the cost of a new stadium UND could do everything it needs to do to the Alerus and then turn the Betty into one of the nicest ball facilities in the region.

last I saw the lease with the Alerus expires February 2019. 3 more football seasons to go in there, unless it's renewed.