SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

Seemed forced, poorly thought out, and altogether kind of hacky.  Too much borrowing from REA, and too little originality, methinks.

Completely disagree.  The fireworks are exciting and only add to the atmosphere.  The Alerus should copy more stuff from the Ralph - nobody loses.  

I noticed that they added stats to the side of the scoreboard.  Not sure if that was new for this year, but it was a much welcomed surprise.  Edit:  on second thought, they must have copied the Betty.... hopefully people don't think that seems forced, poorly thought out, and altogether kind of hacky.

Edited by nodak651
  • Upvote 3

Completely disagree.  The fireworks are exciting and only add to the atmosphere.  The Alerus should copy more stuff from the Ralph - nobody loses.  

I noticed that they added stats to the side of the scoreboard.  Not sure if that was new for this year, but it was a much welcomed surprise.  Edit:  on second thought, they must have copied the Betty.... hopefully people don't think that seems forced, poorly thought out, and altogether kind of hacky.

The stats were a great addition.

• 2 weeks later...

During Saturday's game, I went to buy some merchandise for my kid, only to find out that they don't sell merchandise.  I was told they did last year, but apparently the vendor backed out this year, or something like that.  I wonder how many other FCS venues don't sell merchandise?  Is that normal?  It seemed odd to me.  

Also, is it even possible to buy an official UND football jersey?  All they had a Scheels was the black Nike 84 Hardin jerseys.  I realize the Adidas jerseys are new, but I'd like to think that a fan would be able to buy a current UND football jersey.  

Speaking of Scheels, the new store is really nice, but I couldn't help but notice they have A LOT of Bison stuff in there.  If NDSU has infiltrated Grand Forks, then I shudder to think what's going on in the rest of the State.   

• Upvote 3

During Saturday's game, I went to buy some merchandise for my kid, only to find out that they don't sell merchandise.  I was told they did last year, but apparently the vendor backed out this year, or something like that.  I wonder how many other FCS venues don't sell merchandise?  Is that normal?  It seemed odd to me.  

Also, is it even possible to buy an official UND football jersey?  All they had a Scheels was the black Nike 84 Hardin jerseys.  I realize the Adidas jerseys are new, but I'd like to think that a fan would be able to buy a current UND football jersey.  

Speaking of Scheels, the new store is really nice, but I couldn't help but notice they have A LOT of Bison stuff in there.  If NDSU has infiltrated Grand Forks, then I shudder to think what's going on in the rest of the State.   

Not sure if it has anything to do with the Bison gear, but Scheels is a pretty big sponsor for NDSU.  I believe the store got it's start in GF, but it appears as though NDSU is who Scheels backs.  

I agree on the merchandising angle.  Unbelievable how poor the football team is marketed.  I have a difficult time finding UND football gear anywhere in town.  I see UND football shirts on people at games, so it exists, but is should be more readily available...including at the Alerus Center.

• Upvote 2

There is a big UND section in the Fargo Scheels, does that concern you as well?  

Not sure if it has anything to do with the Bison gear, but Scheels is a pretty big sponsor for NDSU.  I believe the store got it's start in GF, but it appears as though NDSU is who Scheels backs.  

I agree on the merchandising angle.  Unbelievable how poor the football team is marketed.  I have a difficult time finding UND football gear anywhere in town.  I see UND football shirts on people at games, so it exists, but is should be more readily available...including at the Alerus Center.

Scheels started in Fargo as a hardware store, and then expanded into sporting goods. They have been around for a long time before they opened their first store in Grand Forks. Their headquarters are in Fargo. They are a huge supporter of NDSU.

Scheels started in Fargo as a hardware store, and then expanded into sporting goods. They have been around for a long time before they opened their first store in Grand Forks. Their headquarters are in Fargo. They are a huge supporter of NDSU.

thanks for the correction.   I was under the impression that their first store was in GF...or maybe that the Scheel's family was from GF at some point.

Edited by dmksioux

Scheels inventories the gear that sells.  If you lived in Fargo through the late 90s and most of the first decade of the 00s it was Sioux gear everywhere.  The ac marketing was awful.

It is not a coincidence this is tied to winning.

I haven't been in the GF store but I'm guessing it is the football gear that is scarce and not the hockey stuff?

• Upvote 2

Scheels inventories the gear that sells.  If you lived in Fargo through the late 90s and most of the first decade of the 00s it was Sioux gear everywhere.  The ac marketing was awful.

It is not a coincidence this is tied to winning.

I haven't been in the GF store but I'm guessing it is the football gear that is scarce and not the hockey stuff?

There was plenty of hockey stuff and non-sport specific stuff.  Overall, there was more UND stuff for sale than NDSU stuff, maybe 60/40. As far as I could tell, the football clothing was limited to about one t-shirt and the old Hardin jersey.  I agree it's tied to winning.  Hopefully in a couple years, I'll be able to go into a store in Grand Forks and buy a new football jersey.  It doesn't seem like too much to ask for a DI program.

There is a big UND section in the Fargo Scheels, does that concern you as well?  

Apparently you're wrong.  But even if they did, it wouldn't concern me, no.  Thanks for asking.  There have always been more UND graduates in Fargo than NDSU graduates in Grand Forks.  So I'd expect a healthy UND presence in Fargo.  Growing up in Grand Forks, I rarely, if ever, saw NDSU merchandise in Grand Forks stores. 

Haven't you been told, what NDSU does or doesn't do has ZERO impact on UND, so it shouldn't even be discussed :silly:.

Seriously, I am with you 100%. We have become almost invisible in athletics outside of the college hockey world and that has to change. Bubba and his rebuilding project are a good start, but the athletic department needs to do a better job of marketing our newly-minted Division I sports state and region-wide.

• Upvote 1

thanks for the correction.   I was under the impression that their first store was in GF...or maybe that the Scheel's family was from GF at some point.

Technically, the first store opened in Sabin, MN in 1902 (about 10 miles from Fargo). Fargo has been their base for most of the time since. Their first all sports store was in Grand Forks.

• Upvote 1

Two years ago you could find maybe two bison things tucked away in the gf scheels. Winning 4 in a row and gf expanding their stoor in a new location = more space and more everything, including bison gear. Once we get really good at football again and maybe once the hockey team stops choking there will be even more UND stuff. A new nickname and logo may help as well.

• Upvote 1