SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

4 hours ago, ericpnelson said:

What do you guys think of the mentioning of indoor pre-game stuff in the ballrooms? I personally don't like it, but that's a guy who bought a bread truck for outdoor tailgating. 

Do you think that'll play later in the year with the cold weather? I personally loved that November tailgate this year myself, but it did get a little packed inside our truck and tent from people trying to warm up.

It's not a terrible idea but with the budget crisis I can't see UND adding extra expenses and extra rent

Anyone think something like this could eventually be added to the Alerus?

Image result for ucf new cabana seats

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ucf-cabanas-watch-game-end-zone/story?id=45040315

UCF to have cabanas to watch game behind end zone

In recent years, football teams have built and sold on-field suites behind the teams on the sidelines, but never have suites been sold behind the end zones.

Enter UCF, which is selling suites filled with furniture and inclusive of food, for $22,000 each for the 2017 season. The school began marketing the suites this past season and has already sold out half the suites, which include tickets and parking passes for 12 people per game. The suites also come with inside access to a high-end area where bathrooms are located and additional food and drink will be sold.

"We had a waiting list for suites and we sold out of club seats and that led us to do a new club area last year," said Andy Seeley, an associate athletics director at the school. "But there was future interest from our market in more premium space, so we created more."

Seeley said all nine suites sold out in the south end zone, so the school decided to build nine suites in the north end zone.

While the mockup designs look like the cabanas are right on top of the end line of the end zone, Seeley said they are well behind where the photographers stand, they are padded and have passed all safety requirements.

Image result for alerus center

Not sure if there is enough room, but maybe the garage doors could be opened.  I think its a ballroom behind there?

And anyone know what the Alerus Center suit sales are like and who gets the money?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MadScout03 said:

The room behind the garage door is actually a freight room with a couple offices splitting it off from one of the main food prep areas. 

Oh, duh, thanks.  There is a forklift in the picture I posted.  Anyways, perhaps there is room to recess the cabanas into there to save room behind the end zone.  Problem is they would have to be set up and taken down, vs at UCF, they probably leave them out all year.

For me personally I'd way rather sit anywhere between the 20 - 50 than at ground level in the end zone, just for viewing purposes.  But something to consider going forward if we continue to build crowds that are at capacity.  And sounds like they are selling well at UCF...and that is some good extra easy money if they sell!  Having suite type perks can offset the view.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Where's, uh, Mrs. Stanwyk?

In her cabana, señor.

Oh, yeah. I'm supposed to meet her there. It's cabana six, right?

Cabana one.

One, right.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.aa10a5e316acb305fe378c51d2b904a1.jpg

23 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Image result for ucf new cabana seats

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ucf-cabanas-watch-game-end-zone/story?id=45040315

In recent years, football teams have built and sold on-field suites behind the teams on the sidelines, but never have suites been sold behind the end zones.

Enter UCF, which is selling suites filled with furniture and inclusive of food, for $22,000 each for the 2017 season. The school began marketing the suites this past season and has already sold out half the suites, which include tickets and parking passes for 12 people per game. The suites also come with inside access to a high-end area where bathrooms are located and additional food and drink will be sold.

"We had a waiting list for suites and we sold out of club seats and that led us to do a new club area last year," said Andy Seeley, an associate athletics director at the school. "But there was future interest from our market in more premium space, so we created more."

Seeley said all nine suites sold out in the south end zone, so the school decided to build nine suites in the north end zone.

While the mockup designs look like the cabanas are right on top of the end line of the end zone, Seeley said they are well behind where the photographers stand, they are padded and have passed all safety requirements.

Image result for alerus center

Not sure if there is enough room, but maybe the garage doors could be opened.  I think its a ballroom behind there?

And anyone know what the Alerus Center suit sales are like and who gets the money?

I like the idea. I've always thought the dead space behind the end zones was a contributor to the relatively poor gameday atmosphere at the Alerus Center. Filling those end zones with fans using temporary seating of some kind would help the atmosphere and certainly the aesthetics of gameday, in my opinion.

I think it should be considered by Kennedy and his rumored "Gameday committee".  

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

I wouldn't sit there, but that is just my opinion.

Even if the "end zone row" had its own bar service? Just a thought - it might grow on some with that offered. 

The more I think about it, the more I do think the endzone space needs to be utilized so they aren't so bare and negative or neutral towards the atmosphere (they certainly don't add to anything as is).

It doesn't matter whether or not "we" would want to sit there.  We care more about the football game than socializing.  We are die hard fans.  If UND football continues on it's current trajectory, something like this could be very appealing to those who view the games more as a socializing event.  The cabana area, much like the bars at the Ralph, would have !@#$ views, but if there were to be free flowing booze and other perks, I could see them being very popular for the right group people.  It would add revenue, and probably get new people into the building.  Despite the fact that there is a terrible view for football lovers, patrons of UCF football are willing to pay 20K a year for, otherwise, unused space.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

It doesn't matter whether or not "we" would want to sit there.  We care more about the football game than socializing.  We are die hard fans.  If UND football continues on it's current trajectory, something like this could be very appealing to those who view the games more as a socializing event.  The cabana area, much like the bars at the Ralph, would have !@#$ views, but if there were to be free flowing booze and other perks, I could see them being very popular for the right group people.  It would add revenue, and probably get new people into the building.  Despite the fact that there is a terrible view for football lovers, patrons of UCF football are willing to pay 20K a year for, otherwise, unused space.  

bad angle to watch "live" but the new video boards and huge and very very crisp (when the garbage bags aren't blocking the view from 314)

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Even if the "end zone row" had its own bar service? Just a thought - it might grow on some with that offered. 

The more I think about it, the more I do think the endzone space needs to be utilized so they aren't so bare and negative or neutral towards the atmosphere (they certainly don't add to anything as is).

I don't drink so that is no incentive to me. But I get what the poster a few below my original post is saying. I go to football games to actually watch the games. I know the rules, I follow the play... I don't think it would be very good viewing from floor level at the back of the end zone. Half the time they players will be 80-100 yards away. But by all means put the social butterflies there. Those that don't bother to watch a game. Good spot for them. Most likely to end up being "too close" to the action as someone comes running through their cabana.

9 hours ago, WiSioux said:

I don't drink so that is no incentive to me. But I get what the poster a few below my original post is saying. I go to football games to actually watch the games. I know the rules, I follow the play... I don't think it would be very good viewing from floor level at the back of the end zone. Half the time they players will be 80-100 yards away. But by all means put the social butterflies there. Those that don't bother to watch a game. Good spot for them. Most likely to end up being "too close" to the action as someone comes running through their cabana.

Look at what stadiums like At&T Stadium in Dallas and the new US Bank Stadium have done.  They have field level suites that they sell for a premium price.  So it is not something that is unprecedented.  What needs to be determined is the demand for them.  UND football is gaining popularity and good seats are actually beginning to be hard to come by.  Businesses, organizations, etc may want to host an event and have these seats who knows.  Definitely something that is worth looking into. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree.....it would totally add to the atmosphere to have people down there and help make the place look and feel more full.  Not a great view as others suggested, but also as others suggested good tickets between the 20-50 are hard to come by, if there is a bar down there some people/businesses may find that attractive.  Hopefully as the team continues to improve, tailgating outside continues to improve etc.......UND football will be an event and the place to be Saturday afternoons. Plus it is just wasted space, doesn't seem like it could hurt to try it.

• Upvote 1

Great points by everyone. End zone seating/clubs with bar service needs to be considered. 

I too wouldn't sit there, but I'm thinking towards the atmoshphere and aesthetics of gameday. Filling the endzones with folks wanting to socialize or "continue the tailgate" would certainly improve both areas. Lastly, consider the two bar clubs in the REA; both are very popular and a similar idea would takeoff with UND football too, I believe. 

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Great points by everyone. End zone seating/clubs with bar service needs to be considered. 

I too wouldn't sit there, but I'm thinking towards the atmoshphere and aesthetics of gameday. Filling the endzones with folks wanting to socialize or "continue the tailgate" would certainly improve both areas. Lastly, consider the two bar clubs in the REA; both are very popular and a similar idea would takeoff with UND football too, I believe. 

"The Touchdown Tavern"

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Does anyone know if all the suites are sold out?

As of 2015, yes, according to this herald article.  It's an interesting read.  Of the 14 suites in the upper level of the Alerus Center, 11 are rented through yearly contracts

2010 - 8 rented

2012 - less than half rented

2015 - first year all were rented

Average suite prices at the Alerus Center:

2010: $20,502

2011: $19,399

2012: $17,453

2013: $12,550

2014: $13,317

2015: $14,467

• Upvote 1