SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

and i know they spent a lot of each individual ncc banner hanging on the west roof but those should be condensed to one "banner" with each year on it and have it face the students and now only have d1 banners hang individually....and don't block the big screen.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Well - at least they're talking about it. You need to start with the basics. I've said it ad nauseam - too many vacant spots and "reserved parking spots" that divide an otherwise solid core of tailgating groups. That affects atmosphere, which impacts participation, which relates to attendance. 

Maybe if you aren't actually tailgating in your reserved spot for at least 50% of the games, you can go to the south end and start to work your way back to the north. May seem a little crass, I know. But over a lot of years, I've seen what tailgating has been and I know what it can be. We just keep getting in the way of our own common sense. 

Quit looking for the magic tailgating solution, and start with the basics.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, airmail said:

Well - at least they're talking about it. You need to start with the basics. I've said it ad nauseam - too many vacant spots and "reserved parking spots" that divide an otherwise solid core of tailgating groups. That affects atmosphere, which impacts participation, which relates to attendance. 

Maybe if you aren't actually tailgating in your reserved spot for at least 50% of the games, you can go to the south end and start to work your way back to the north. May seem a little crass, I know. But over a lot of years, I've seen what tailgating has been and I know what it can be. We just keep getting in the way of our own common sense. 

Quit looking for the magic tailgating solution, and start with the basics.

Personally, I'd be pretty pissed if they got rid of reserved spots. I get the concern, but I drive 700 miles round trip for each game. It's pretty nice to know where we'll be. Also, there are people who started coming to games after coming and tailgating with us. People kind of stop by and visit every week once they figure out where everyone is. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2017 at 3:23 PM, nodak651 said:

Anyone upset with the lack of availability of UND Football apparel?  They only sell like 3 shirts and they all look like ass because they have football helmets, football players, or footballs on them.  People will say there would be more options if there was more demand, but the options have sucked for years, hence why I, and I'm sure many others, have not bought football gear.  They finally started selling UND bucket hats, like what Bubba wears, but they are the wrong color!  They sell replica football jerseys, but from the doom Muss years!  I finally saw a UND Football hat that I liked when I was at a game this past fall - I asked the guy where he got it, and he said he got it from someone he knew that was affiliated with the program.  It would sure be great to have Adidas team gear available to the public, like the hockey team has.

Does anyone know who in the staff directory I can send hate mail to  contact to express feedback? http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3743113

Look at this garbage....

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

Not just football apparel, but UND apparel in general has take a huge downturn. I was at scheels the other weekend (granted it was the one in Fargo), and everything looked like trash. NDSU had tons of options, and (minus the ugly Bison ;) ) Everything looked really nice. The designs were better, the variety was better, the quality was better.

UND has a new name, a new logo, a new brand, and they need to completely overhaul their apparel. I went with a full intention of buying some Fighting Hawk gear and starting to get on board with the new name. I did end up with a Fighting Hawks Big Sky Champs shirt (I should clarify which one, it is for basketball), but other than that, there was nothing to pick from. Very disappointing.

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2017 at 4:58 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND and Adidas need to get a university-wide apparel deal done for this reason; it would increase marketing options quite drastically. Unfortunately, coaches like basketball's Brian Jones think Adidas is the devil. Faison (or eventually the successor in not so many years) needs to put his foot down. 

Image result for waterboy the devil meme

What is the story here? Do you know BJ doesn't like Adidas, and why? Or is this speculation?

1 hour ago, ericpnelson said:

Personally, I'd be pretty pissed if they got rid of reserved spots. I get the concern, but I drive 700 miles round trip for each game. It's pretty nice to know where we'll be. Also, there are people who started coming to games after coming and tailgating with us. People kind of stop by and visit every week once they figure out where everyone is. 

Understand your point - I doubt they would ever get rid of reserved spots. I sure like knowing where I'll be on Saturday morning just like you.  

I just wish everyone with a reserved spot used it, and used it for tailgating.

7 minutes ago, airmail said:

Understand your point - I doubt they would ever get rid of reserved spots. I sure like knowing where I'll be on Saturday morning just like you.  

I just wish everyone with a reserved spot used it, and used it for tailgating.

yeah I get that's annoying. We try to buy more spots around us each year, because we have a couple adjacent spots that doesn't see too much use. We keep buying more and more crap each year, so we would love to snag those up.

They need to somehow mix the students in with the other tailgaters better.  It's been a problem for a long time.  Put them up front or something.  In the current setup, it really feels like students are an afterthought.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

They need to somehow mix the students in with the other tailgaters better.  It's been a problem for a long time.  Put them up front or something.  In the current setup, it really feels like students are an afterthought.  

One question I guess I have always wondered.  Do they allow drinking in the student tailgate lot?  If not, it is probably a good reason why it is never that full.  Also a better reason for the students to go out and mingle where it is allowed!

3 hours ago, ericpnelson said:

The problem with it is not folks like your self who come to every game and are actually there tailgating... It is the ones who come driving in 20 minutes before the game starts and there are kids running around everywhere etc.  They are not tailgating... They are looking for a reserved spot.  I personally think that if you are dedicated enough to come and tailgate then you should be able to be around other tailgaters.  Not isolated 25 spots away from the nearest group... 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, FBAlum said:

The problem with it is not folks like your self who come to every game and are actually there tailgating... It is the ones who come driving in 20 minutes before the game starts and there are kids running around everywhere etc.  They are not tailgating... They are looking for a reserved spot.  I personally think that if you are dedicated enough to come and tailgate then you should be able to be around other tailgaters.  Not isolated 25 spots away from the nearest group... 

They should close the tailgate portion of the lot 1 hour before kickoff.  If you aren't there before then, you are not using the spot as it was intended for.  You cold still park in the lot, just not in your assigned tailgate spot.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

They should close the tailgate portion of the lot 1 hour before kickoff.  If you aren't there before then, you are not using the spot as it was intended for.  You cold still park in the lot, just not in your assigned tailgate spot.  

I don't hate it. And I'm not sure you are aggressive enough with the 1 hour thing

• Upvote 1

Just get rid of assigned spots and all the people that are big into tailgating will be together. The die hards that will be there when the lot opens will be together.

But I was raised in Wisconsin, tailgating at Packer games where you just tailgate wherever and make friends with your neighbor. That is what is normal to me. Everyone tailgates. That is just how it is.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, WiSioux said:

Just get rid of assigned spots and all the people that are big into tailgating will be together. The die hards that will be there when the lot opens will be together.

But I was raised in Wisconsin, tailgating at Packer games where you just tailgate wherever and make friends with your neighbor. That is what is normal to me. Everyone tailgates. That is just how it is.

Yeah,  I like this concept as well.  People who want good spots will need to get there sooner in order to be where they want.  Theoretically, more people would adjust their plans to get to the lot earlier, and the overall tailgating experience would get better.  More people tailgating early, and closer to other people = more fun for a longer period of time.  Makes sense to me.  

• Upvote 3

What do you guys think of the mentioning of indoor pre-game stuff in the ballrooms? I personally don't like it, but that's a guy who bought a bread truck for outdoor tailgating. 

Do you think that'll play later in the year with the cold weather? I personally loved that November tailgate this year myself, but it did get a little packed inside our truck and tent from people trying to warm up.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

What do you guys think of the mentioning of indoor pre-game stuff in the ballrooms? I personally don't like it, but that's a guy who bought a bread truck for outdoor tailgating. 

Do you think that'll play later in the year with the cold weather? I personally loved that November tailgate this year myself, but it did get a little packed inside our truck and tent from people trying to warm up.

For people who don't like being out in the cold, have young kids, etc, this is a great option.   I would look into this for sure, especially if they have inflatables and "kid stuff" to do.  I imagine it would be like the alumni parties I have attended for road UND games, and those are always very fun.

Get more people excited, get more people in the stands.  Love the direction UND football is going!

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

I'd rather there be fans indoors and eventually in the Alerus Center for the games than those fans not show up at all. 

Hardcore fans and tailgaters will be at games irregardless of the weather and circumstance, but for UND to really expand attendance (key word is expand), indoor events like the ones mentioned are probably a good idea. 

The more the merrier. It helps spread the word of UND football, and the faster that word spreads, the quicker the Alerus Center reaches capacity for football games.

The indoor atmosphere before the Richmond playoff game was really quite good. Now just imagine the atmosphere/turnout with the addition of the hockey fans that were in New York and after some playoffs WINS ... plenty of potential for an expanding atmosphere and 2017 could see that. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'd rather there be fans indoors and eventually in the Alerus Center for the games than those fans not show up at all. 

Hardcore fans and tailgaters will be at games irregardless of the weather and circumstance, but for UND to really expand attendance (key word is expand), indoor events like the ones mentioned are probably a good idea. 

The more the merrier. It helps spread the word of UND football, and the faster that word spreads, the quicker the Alerus Center reaches capacity for football games.

The indoor atmosphere before the Richmond playoff game was really quite good. Now just imagine the atmosphere/turnout with the addition of the hockey fans that were in New York and after some playoffs WINS ... plenty of potential for an expanding atmosphere and 2017 could see that. 

Isn't it nice to have problems like these? ;)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Didn't they rent out Playmakers for the Champions Club tailgate for a game this past season?

They have moved the Champions Club tent inside for the final regular season home game for a handful of years now. Not positive they have done it every year since, but I know that before the comeback against USD to win the Great West, there was definitely something at Playmakers and that was 2011.