SiouxSports.com Forum

1980's Class B Basketball

MafiaMan

Langdon took down Cavalier (Todd Olson) in regional in '85....they had a guy named Andy Dosman guarding Olson from the time he got off the bus until games end...they called him the Giant Killer or something similar as he held Olson below his usual numbers. Of course having guys like Romfo and Waslaski helped.

Charlie went box-and-one that night.   

"Romfo.... Romfo.... ROMFO.... ROMFO"

Tolna Trojans were also at 85 state tourney. Lost to Newburg by 100 in the first round game. (not quite, but could have just as well been)

McVille Blackhawk's I believe it was 82. They had played Crary Cardinal's in District 8 regular season play and lost District 8 championship game to them but Beat them in the Region Chapionship Game for the right to go to state. Took 3rd place that season.

Great catch!  The McVille and Crary.  Was it pronounced Mick-ville or Mack-ville?

"Romfo.... Romfo.... ROMFO.... ROMFO"

Funny story, in gym that we week we played some basketball crap, with Darrin being the only basketball player and myself being inept at sports that don't involve violence, I pretty much made his day miserable. I actually had to outrun him not to get smacked down. I have always wondered if Charlie had gotten the game plan form that 5th period class

Tolna Trojans were also at 85 state tourney. Lost to Newburg by 100 in the first round game. (not quite, but could have just as well been)

Found a great web site to help out here...

www.mascotdb.com

Woodworth Mallards...Pettibone Warriors...Robinson Hornets...Carson Chieftains...Stanton Sioux...Solen Sioux...Selfridge Chieftains...Wing Royals...Bowbells Eskimos...

Man, ND had some great nicknames!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

While mindlessly browsing the internet came across these games on youtube that documents Edmore's run to the state championship game in 1982.  Some of the players mentioned in previous posts are playing in these games.  First link is vs. Munich in Region 3 championship game.  The next three are the state tournament games vs. Anamoose, McVille, and Divide County, in that order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1bS9J22hVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6dleWDIV-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42DP6K8MdwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKbB4uDo4i0

Awesome videos, NDSU grad. What was Lakota's nickname back in the day? They're combined with Edmore now, correct?

How about McVille? I seem to announcers going back and forth on "Mick-ville" and "Mac-ville."

It's the latter. 

Lakota Raiders then. With Edmore in sports, but still the Raiders.

It's the latter.

Lakota Raiders then. With Edmore in sports, but still the Raiders.

McVille had a cool nickname too I thought...

Always liked the Grenora Gophers, Richardton Rebels, and Crosby-Divide County Maroons too. Oh, and the Sargent Central Cadets.

McVille had a cool nickname too I thought...

Always liked the Grenora Gophers, Richardton Rebels, and Crosby-Divide County Maroons too. Oh, and the Sargent Central Cadets.

Max Cossacks is cool...did they chant 'Let's go Sacks'? Berthold Bombers was good...wasn't Starkweather the Storm Kings?

Max Cossacks is cool...did they chant 'Let's go Sacks'? Berthold Bombers was good...wasn't Starkweather the Storm Kings?

Munich Magicians and the Starkweather Storm Kings, yes. I believe they're still the Munich-Starkweather Magic Storm now.

BTW, Blackheart, due to the influx of kids from western Dickinson into the district, there is growing talk that the South Heart Eagles may be making a comeback. Voters in SH recently voted down a new combined school with Belfield located halfway between the two towns. Belfield is now looking west of town on old Highway 10 as a potential new site for a school and football field. The Bantams may be alive again!

Munich Magicians and the Starkweather Storm Kings, yes. I believe they're still the Munich-Starkweather Magic Storm now.

No more Magic Storm, 2013-14 was the last year.  Munich is now with Langdon in all sports, and Starkweather is with North Star (Cando).

BTW, Blackheart, due to the influx of kids from western Dickinson into the district, there is growing talk that the South Heart Eagles may be making a comeback. Voters in SH recently voted down a new combined school with Belfield located halfway between the two towns. Belfield is now looking west of town on old Highway 10 as a potential new site for a school and football field. The Bantams may be alive again!

You would like that, right?