SiouxSports.com Forum

UND-NDSU discussions all topics

iramurphy

Ok here we go. Not much chance the trolls or (even our guys) will adhere to keeping the stupid discussions here rather than the other sports blogs but it would be great if those comments could get forwarded here. The Ag school guys with all of the employees and money and time can come here. It will make it easier for poor souls like me who have never accomplished much to come and admire them for all of their deeds and dollars. Anyway , we can redirect the rebuttals here. Merry Christmas and God Bless America.

Serious question - How is a former NDSU coach/current NFL coach calling a recruit and congratulating them on verbally committing to NDSU not a recruiting violation?  Am I missing something about the recruiting rules about contacting recruits, especially before they have signed a LOI?  Or since Bradley Wash is no longer technically associated with NDSU, it is considered OK?  For the record, nothing showed UND had interest in the kid at all, so this isn't "sour grapes".  Exciting for the kid for sure, but just seems strange.

Serious question - How is a former NDSU coach/current NFL coach calling a recruit and congratulating them on verbally committing to NDSU not a recruiting violation? Am I missing something about the recruiting rules about contacting recruits, especially before they have signed a LOI? Or since Bradley's no longer technically associated with NDSU, it is considered OK? For the record, nothing showed UND had interest in the kid at all, so this isn't "sour grapes". Exciting for the kid for sure, but just seems strange.

Never heard about this but in my mind there wouldn't be anything wrong with it as far as recruiting. I think as long as they report it and the purpose of the call has nothing to do with the NFL coach recruiting the player to the NFL it's perfectly fine. Yet, there is so many loopholes I think the NC00 can find something wrong with just about anything if they want to.

Actually Bradley would be considered an FU booster by definition - and until a player is on campus I don't believe a booster can make any kind of contact - but there must be a loophole or the NCAA is too busy chasing down UND players wearing Sioux pins on their jackets to take issue with it.

Violations are to reported to the school's compliance office. 

Actually Bradley would be considered an FU booster by definition - and until a player is on campus I don't believe a booster can make any kind of contact - but there must be a loophole or the NCAA is too busy chasing down UND players wearing Sioux pins on their jackets to take issue with it.

Violations are to reported to the school's compliance office.

That's true, Bradley at this point he's not a NFL coach he's a booster. Either way as much as I dislike NDSU I hope nothing comes of this. If Jimmy K wants to call a recruit and tell him he'd like too see him at UND he should be allowed. Although on the flip side you can't let these high school kids get inundated with calls from alumni/boosters. You have to have some rules.

Seemed strange coming across my Twitter feed earlier. Also, I asked a buddy about it and he says it wasn't Bradley, it was another former NDSU coach who is on the Jag's staff, I guess I'll take his word for it. Edited my original post to reflect.

If legal, maybe Phil could lend a hand to Jones. :whistling:

Never heard about this but in my mind there wouldn't be anything wrong with it as far as recruiting. I think as long as they report it and the purpose of the call has nothing to do with the NFL coach recruiting the player to the NFL it's perfectly fine. Yet, there is so many loopholes I think the NC00 can find something wrong with just about anything if they want to.

No loophole, no alumnus, booster, college professor, or others who have a connection to the college in question, are allowed to contact students. That includes former players and coaches. Same thing that got Nanne and Sonmor in trouble when they contacted Pariese. It is clearly a violation. Rule is clear. Former players and Fighting Sioux club members are reminded of this rule annually. The recruit could contact an alumnus but the alumnus can't initiate the contact.

No loophole, no alumnus, booster, college professor, or others who have a connection to the college in question, are allowed to contact students. That includes former players and coaches. Same thing that got Nanne and Sonmor in trouble when they contacted Pariese. It is clearly a violation. Rule is clear. Former players and Fighting Sioux club members are reminded of this rule annually. The recruit could contact an alumnus but the alumnus can't initiate the contact.

NDAC has been playing fast and loose with this rule for years now.  Lakesbison and his crew of lackeys routinely commit recruiting violations and their athletic departments just winks at it. 

This is what I assumed.  Figured you were one of the people who'd be able to shed a little light on it. 

Weird how the NDSU faithful have no problem inserting their opinions everywhere else on this board but yet not a peep on explaining this...

Did Bradley do it or did a different coach? Honestly I don't know. Would the NCAA just tell him not to do it again or?

A poster awhile back put on here that a recent commit to NDSU tweeted that he got a call from Bradley giving him congrats on his verbal to the Bison. Not sure if that's true or not but according to Ira who seems to know a lot it's a big no no.

A poster awhile back put on here that a recent commit to NDSU tweeted that he got a call from Bradley giving him congrats on his verbal to the Bison. Not sure if that's true or not but according to Ira who seems to know a lot it's a big no no.

I saw the tweet said something about a Jacksonville Jaguar coach... I'd presume it to be Bradley as well, but was it for sure him? That I do not know.

Hope it isn't a huge deal or anything. Boosters should stay out... Tough for schools to regulate though.

Maybe Gus should just focus on trying to win a football game or two.

I saw the tweet said something about a Jacksonville Jaguar coach... I'd presume it to be Bradley as well, but was it for sure him? That I do not know.

Hope it isn't a huge deal or anything. Boosters should stay out... Tough for schools to regulate though.

I agree but rules are rules. There needs to be some sort of order for the kids getting recruited. Especially the big time recruits at big schools.

I originally misunderstood it.  It wasn't Bradley, it was Todd Wash, Jacksonville's Defensive Line coach and former NDSU assistant coach.  I also saw that a poster that is normally  pretty reputable on NDSU stuff had a comment that this is by no means the first time its happened.

I originally misunderstood it. It wasn't Bradley, it was Todd Wash, Jacksonville's Defensive Line coach and former NDSU assistant coach. I also saw that a poster that is normally pretty reputable on NDSU stuff had a comment that this is by no means the first time its happened.

It would be a lot harder to prove this isn't a frequent thing at FU than to prove it was a one time occurrence. Also, are the phone calls only taking place to congratulate recruits or are there recruiting calls being made by Coach Walsh?

Did Bradley do it or did a different coach? Honestly I don't know. Would the NCAA just tell him not to do it again or?

NCAA has no authority over Bradley. They might send a note to NDSU officials reminding them they are responsible for their Alumni and boosters. This isn't a big deal unless they keep doing it and it becomes more public

• 3 weeks later...