SiouxSports.com Forum

Sauer

jk

Darn.  Sauer's retiring.  I was hoping he would drag on for a while longer.  This will be good for the league, but it will make recruiting more difficult for everyone, including UND.  For instance, I read (probably on a message board, so completely unreliable) that Bochenski didn't really consider UW because of the coaching.  Also, Vanek didn't really take UW seriously.

As sig said somewhere to a Wisconsin fan, what's it like having your team playing up in St. Cloud.  SCSU seemed to step into Wisconsin's role of sccoping up the Gophers' MN leftovers.

Anyway, I am sure they will get a good coach, and they will follow a recovery trajectory very similar to Minnesota's.  That will be good for the league.

And I'm not really worried about an impact on UND.  You've gotta beat the best to be the best, and the Sioux will be there regardless.

As much as it is nice to have patsies, I think it is even better to see WCHA teams get better.  Especially a team like WI that has quite a history, and has a high profile.

Like you said, it hopefully makes everyone better in the long run.  And helps keep the WCHA the premier league in college hockey.  If so, the best recruits will want to play in the WCHA, we can hope.

Here's the link to the story in the Wisconsin State Journal:

http://www.wisconsinstatejournal.com/sports/8984.html

To be honest, I can't believe that Sauer has hung on this long. It's been apparent for some time that his Badger teams have lacked discipline and speed.

A renewed Wisconsin program will make the WCHA even stronger, but could make recruiting a little tougher for some schools. Denver may have to cough up some big bucks to keep George Gwozdecky (a UW alum) as their coach.

I know a bunch of Wisco fans are passing around Steve Johnson's name.  Regardless of his lineage, I think they'll probably go for somebody with head coaching experience like Gwozdecky.  

Either way, I think there will be a certain curve in time (2-3 years at least) before Bucky gets back to old form, meanwhile the rest of the WCHA will continue to develop and get stronger.  Sauer was there just too long and let rust develop on his recruiting connections.

Yes, Wisconsin has continued to be a very tough matchup for the Sioux. Part of the story has been that the Badgers have been better suited to a smaller rink than their own large sheet--but they've given the Sioux trouble in Madison as well. I just wish that Sauer would get his boys to play as well against other teams as they do against UND.

Read on another website the following people might be top candidates to replace Sauer.

Denver head coach George Gwozdecky, current Badger assistant Mark Johnson, and current U.S. National Team Development Program head coach Mike Eaves.

SiouxHockeyFan in Bean Town.

Blaiser will not be a coach at UND, I would bet the farm on that one, UofM tried to coax blaiser to UofM and said no, I doubt he would take that job, hes got it pretty good here in the forks. My money is on Mark Johnson former badger and olympian to replace Sauer...

Question are you a B's fan. I lived out there for a time and saw a bunch of games in the old Gahden, what a great sports town...

FightingSiouxfan in Beantown,

In 1988 I was stationed at Fort Devens Mass, when I got out in in December of 1988 (got tired of the Army, and MP's worked too much) I decided to live in Ayer for a while. Almost married a girl from Ayer Mass that I met while checking ID's at the front gate to Fort Devens. I watch all of the Bruins on Television and some of the Sox games. Say a bunch of games in Fenway what a blast.

Saw eastern conference Game 7 (Stanely Cup playoffs) Bruins and Dirt Devils in the old Garden, man talk about enviornment, I thought the roof was going to come down. Till this day that is still one of my greatest sports memories. I have always since my time followed the B's. Most people out here don't follow them. Maybe more so since Goren plays in Providence...

The

I moved back to Minnesota from boston in 1990. I missed the state, went to college in 1993 in North Dakota, got married and have been in the Forks every since.

Kind of like hotel california you can check out but never leave. Boston Sports rule though, BoSox and fenway are fun venues. This season the Bruins have really done a good job this year, they have built a fast young team around a very good defense...

I honestly think they are going to win the stanely cup. They have been building for this year for some time.