SiouxSports.com Forum

The Betty Needs a Video Board (or two)

niouxsiouxfan

I will gladly contribute, and do what I can to help get it going. If there are more willing, I'll gladly start communications to see what can be done, and maybe try kickstarter or gofundit.

OR... maybe the gobc wants their name on a board? Seriously tho, im willing to put time and effort in, and ultimately some cash.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

With all the tax money/revenue the state of ND is getting from oil (yah, I'm a jealous MN resident), they can't throw in a mere pittance for a center court video board at the Betty? My gosh, it's a state institution. Where are all the oil revenue dollars going, saving for a rainy day?

With all the tax money/revenue the state of ND is getting from oil (yah, I'm a jealous MN resident), they can't throw in a mere pittance for a center court video board at the Betty? My gosh, it's a state institution. Where are all the oil revenue dollars going, saving for a rainy day?

North Dakota doesn't use state funds on athletics directly. It's probably a foreign concept for Minnesota

Tax cuts for Wal-Mart and the Oil Companies, of course. :silly:

I agree with you 1000%.  Set up an education endowment fund and use the interest earned from that fund (not the principal, the interest) to help fund projects like this (and yes, NDSU should get a piece of the action as well).  We could also fund education and research on our two main campuses.  But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen; this Cracker Jack government we have in Bismarck won't even fund enough highway patrol officers to handle all the insane traffic in the Oil Patch.

That would open a huge problem, UND would want a video board, NDSU would want a new stadium paid with the oil money.

That would open a huge problem, UND would want a video board, NDSU would want a new stadium paid with the oil money.

The problem is the state of North Dakota has 11 (by my quick count) state funded colleges. Drawing the line on which projects to find would be a nightmare. I am all for out state keeping state money out of projects like this.

Regarding asbestos and/or lead paint abatement as deterrents to a hypothetical renovation of Hyslop, does anybody know how big of an issue this has been in the renovation of the BSA in Fargo? Since it was constructed in the last 1960's/early 1970's, I'm assuming this was an issue there as well, but I've never specifically heard anything about it.

Regarding asbestos and/or lead paint abatement as deterrents to a hypothetical renovation of Hyslop, does anybody know how big of an issue this has been in the renovation of the BSA in Fargo? Since it was constructed in the last 1960's/early 1970's, I'm assuming this was an issue there as well, but I've never specifically heard anything about it.

I haven't seen anything, but it may or may not be an issue for them.  Use of both lead paint and asbestos had decreased by the late 60's.  They would have tested for both, but may not have to deal with either one.

Hopkins High School has video board and banner. Just saying...

There's no question having those two things would spice up the Betty quite a bit. It's just another athletic department shame on a long list of things...

Whether UND supporters want to believe it or not, the current administration is too set on hockey. I agree that UND can ultimately allow hockey football and basketball all three thrive together, but the contemporary athletic department staff, particularly Faison, is incapable of doing that.

• Upvote 2

There's no question having those two things would spice up the Betty quite a bit. It's just another athletic department shame on a long list of things...

Whether UND supporters want to believe it or not, the current administration is too set on hockey. I agree that UND can ultimately allow hockey football and basketball all three thrive together, but the contemporary athletic department staff, particularly Faison, is incapable of doing that.

The guy you threw under the bus here....spot on!

brian.faison@athletics.und.edu

jodyh@theralph.com

These are the two guys that should get an email from anybody wishing to voice their concerns over video boards and any other issues at the Sioux Center.  Let them know what you think!  Be polite & be concise.  I've already let them know my opinion.  The more people that they hear from the better idea they'll get on how strongly alot of us feel on this. 

• Upvote 3

I guess I don't really see where your coming from where you constantly see failure by this Athletic Department led by Faison.    I've seen a lot of things happen since he's been at the helm... there is an indoor practice facility being built...and before you say that it's being built despite of him.  This didn't get done on during Thomas watch, or Bunning's watch, but his.  Also, who was Athletic Director when basically UND Athletics handed over the keys to REA? It wasn't Faison. Meanwhile, they've expanded TV for sports such as Volleyball and Basketball with Fox Sports ie more games.  Have actually produced a substantial revenue stream for tv coverage where UND Athletics actually gets a sizeable check from Midco.   Tailgating has been far better for me and my friends at games with the addition of Tailgate Village etc..

I'm not saying it's perfect...but forgive me if I don't see all the doom and gloom that you do.

• Upvote 3

Great link.

If UND athletics is to stick with this (not considering timetable or financial requirements), the general order of funding allocation should be:

1) High Performance Center Phase II

2) Betty Sioux Center Electronics (scorer's table and center-hanging electronic scoreboard/display).

3) Memorial Stadium Renovation??

Shouldn't have a center hanging scoreboard due to volleyball.