SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Polls Week of 10-20-14

Matt

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/cfoot225poll.aspx

The Sports Network FCS Top 25 
College Football Poll 

Team (First-place votes) 2014 Record Points Previous Rank 
1. North Dakota State Bison (152)  7-0 3848 1 
2. Eastern Washington Eagles (2)  7-1 3676 2 
3. New Hampshire Wildcats 5-1 3402 3 
4. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 7-0 3353 4 
5. Villanova Wildcats 6-1 3304 5 
6. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 5-1 2996 6 
7. Montana Grizzlies 5-2 2941 7 
8. Southeastern Louisiana Lions 6-2 2683 8 
9. Illinois State Redbirds 6-0 2448 10 
10. Montana State Bobcats 6-2 2432 9 
11. McNeese State Cowboys 4-2 2181 11 
12. Fordham Rams 6-1 2129 12 
13. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 5-2 1759 18 
14. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 6-1 1733 16 
15. Chattanooga Mocs 4-3 1584 17 
16. Richmond Spiders 5-2 1558 19 
17. Youngstown State Penguins 5-2 1492 21 
18. William & Mary Tribe 4-3 1191 15 
19. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 6-1 1097 13 
20. Southern Illinois Salukis 5-3 1014 14 
21. Harvard Crimson 5-0 711 25 
22. Indiana State Sycamores 4-3 563 22 
23. Northern Iowa Panthers 3-4 402 20 
24. Sacred Heart Pioneers 6-1 390 NR 
25. Albany Great Danes 5-2 221 NR 

Others receiving votes: Bryant 119, Charleston Southern 114, Liberty 113, Missouri State 87, Western Carolina 56, Sam Houston State 40, Northwestern State 40, Grambling State 37, Dartmouth 30, James Madison 29, Wofford 22, Alcorn State 22, Delaware 21, Central Arkansas 21, Bucknell 21, North Carolina A&T 21, Jacksonville 20, Stephen F. Austin 14, Tennessee State 14, Western Illinois 13, Presbyterian 13, Northern Arizona 12, Cal Poly 11, Yale 10, Southeast Missouri State 10, Furman 9, South Carolina State 8, Samford 7, Idaho State 3, Monmouth 3, Duquesne 1, Lamar 1. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/polls/fcs

2014 NCAA Football FCS Coaches Poll

Poll   Previous Polls:  
Rank Team (1st Place Votes) W-L Votes Last Week Next Game
1 North Dakota State (26) 7-0 650 1 @ SouDak
2 Eastern Washington 7-1 624 2 @ NoAri
3 Coastal Carolina 7-0 583 3 ChSou ( #22)
4 Villanova 6-1 566 5 MorgSt
5 New Hampshire 5-1 549 6 StnyBr
6 Montana 5-2 516 7 @ CalPly
7 Jacksonville State 5-1 498 8 TnTech
8 Southeastern Louisiana 6-2 461 9 @ SFA
9 Illinois State 6-0 401 15 MoStU
10 McNeese State 4-2 388 4 @ IncWrd
11 Montana State 6-2 385 14 @ CalPly
12 Eastern Kentucky 6-1 337 16 SEMO
13 Fordham 6-1 286 18 @ Lehigh
14 Bethune-Cookman 6-1 268 17 @ SCSt
15 Chattanooga 4-3 256 12
16 South Dakota State 5-2 246 19 YSU ( #19)
17 Southern Illinois 5-3 245 13 InSt ( #23)
18 William & Mary 4-3 236 11 Del
19 Youngstown State 5-2 216 10 @ SDkSt ( #16)
20 Richmond 5-2 208 20 @ Elon
21 Northern Iowa 3-4 148 21 @ WestIl
22 Charleston Southern 5-2 109 23 @ CoastC ( #3)
23 Indiana State 4-3 77 22 @ SIU ( #17)
24 Harvard 5-0 59 - @ Prince
25 Sam Houston State 3-4 58 - AbChr

They need to quit scheduling 2 FBS games.  That doesn't help their record and it doesn't hurt their ranking all that much either.  Both losses came to ranked teams also

So once again they keep getting rewarded for losing.  "But, they played hard teams.  But, they scheduled two FBS teams".  

I think it was two years ago when they were 1-5 and still in the Top 25.   :silly:   

Look at their three wins this year.  Ish.

So once again they keep getting rewarded for losing.  "But, they played hard teams.  But, they scheduled two FBS teams".  

I think it was two years ago when they were 1-5 and still in the Top 25.   :silly:   

Look at their three wins this year.  Ish.

They are one of those programs that seems to get ranked based largely on reputation. But if they finish sub-.500 this year, which looks pretty likely based upon their remaining schedule, maybe some of the pollsters will finally jump off that bandwagon for awhile.

watched the entire sdsu-uni game saturday night. both are good teams. UNI is an undisciplined bunch.

edit: no, I don't have anything better to do.

All 3 qbs that played looked JV. Neither team looked good. Both would beat UND due to our lack if offense. UNI isn't making the playoffs and SDSU maybe wins a game if they get in. I could see them losing 2-3 more games.

Edit: to be fair to SDSU I have no idea when Sumner gets back and that could change the offense.

darell1976 just said on AGS that he thinks UND would beat NDSU this year. By virtue I think UND should be getting consideration for a top 5 ranking.

Actually I said UND with its improved defense would "hang" with NDSU. I never said the word beat. But that Yellow kool aid you drink will add words when reading.

Exact post: Re: Teams who could challenge NDSU and why.

UND. Just think about it, a rivalry gets players extra jacked up, and UND's offense is bad, but our defense is a lot improved. I think UND could actually hang with the Bison.

Actually I said UND with its improved defense would "hang" with NDSU. I never said the word beat. But that Yellow kool aid you drink will add words when reading.

Exact post: Re: Teams who could challenge NDSU and why.

UND. Just think about it, a rivalry gets players extra jacked up, and UND's offense is bad, but our defense is a lot improved. I think UND could actually hang with the Bison.

If UND keeps improving, especially on the offensive side, you never know what might happen.  I'm feeling more positive about a much closer game.  

If UND keeps improving, especially on the offensive side, you never know what might happen. I'm feeling more positive about a much closer game.

Exactly. I never said we would win I said with our improving defense we could hang with them making it a close game. I guess we will find out in 11 months.

Exactly. I never said we would win I said with our improving defense we could hang with them making it a close game. I guess we will find out in 11 months.

Difficult to keep it a close game when the offense would not score.

It would resemble the MSU game, except the ac would kick more field goals in the first half.

The program has come along this year, but its a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll.

Over in the FBS games thread (under NCAA News), Herd stated that NDSU would big a legitimate contender in the Big 10 and that the Bison would have no fear of a team like Michigan State. So the #6/7 rated team in FCS, Jacksonville State, got lit up for 38 first-half points by those same Spartans earlier this season. Either FCS is extremely weak after the #1 spot or Herd has lost his damn mind.

Over in the FBS games thread (under NCAA News), Herd stated that NDSU would big a legitimate contender in the Big 10 and that the Bison would have no fear of a team like Michigan State. So the #6/7 rated team in FCS, Jacksonville State, got lit up for 38 first-half points by those same Spartans earlier this season. Either FCS is extremely weak after the #1 spot or Herd has lost his damn mind.

NDSU football has proven to be damn good, but Big Ten powerhouses like Michigan State are a whole other cookie.

I think it is a combination of both.  I want to say outside the top 5 in FCS is nothing spectacular, but after watching New Hampshire and Coastal Carolina last year I may tighten that up to the top 3 teams in FCS.

When it comes to the big 10, lets just say a very average MN team sits atop the west at 3-0.  I take the ac and the points at TCF, and I would give MN points in fargo.

So a team who had to come from behind late in the game to beat Western Illinois has no fear in Michigan State. Yep, he has lost his mind.

So a team who had to come from behind late in the game to beat Western Illinois has no fear in Michigan State. Yep, he has lost his mind.

Michigan State would beat NDSU by 2 TDS if not more but NDSU would beat at least half of the Big 10 teams.

Hang with NDSU this year? No. Not a chance. NDSU' s defense is far and away the best in the FCS this year and UND's offense is less than stellar. Pretty confident that UND would not score more than once. Name a physical running attack that has tested UND this year? Maybe Missouri State and what happened?

Frankly, I think NDSU Michigan State would be closer than UND NDSU this year. Sagarin spread projections would support that statement. 11 months from now, NDSU will have a very different team and that game definitely could be close.

Michigan State would beat NDSU by 2 TDS if not more but NDSU would beat at least half of the Big 10 teams.

Hang with NDSU this year? No. Not a chance. NDSU' s defense is far and away the best in the FCS this year and UND's offense is less than stellar. Pretty confident that UND would not score more than once. Name a physical running attack that has tested UND this year? Maybe Missouri State and what happened?

Frankly, I think NDSU Michigan State would be closer than UND NDSU this year. Sagarin spread projections would support that statement. 11 months from now, NDSU will have a very different team and that game definitely could be close.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400557479

Scoring Defense:  UND 39th, WIU 48th

Scoring Offense: WIU 80th  UND 109th

So how could WIU "Hang" with NDSU but you say UND couldn't.  

What 7 teams of the B1G would NDSU beat?

I've only got them winning 6. Illinois, Purdue, Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana, Rutgers

I could throw in Northwestern, but I suspect the ac may lose one of the other games so I'll stick with 6.

I've only got them winning 6. Illinois, Purdue, Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana, Rutgers

I could throw in Northwestern, but I suspect the ac may lose one of the other games so I'll stick with 6.

I could agree to this if its for one off games.  If the Bison had all of these teams on their schedule, then I think they win one or two.

Darell,

Hypothetically make the playoffs, win some games and then play NDSU and you can figure it out yourself. NDSU played a horrible game and still won. That is what good teams do. WIU is not a bad team, they have a bad record, however two of those losses are to FBS teams and two losses are against the #1 team in FCS and the #9 team in the FCS team. They have had undoubtedly the toughest schedule in the FCS up until this point. They also actually beat a good team in #17 YSU.

Who has UND beat again this year? Nobody of any significance last time I checked. I am guessing UND's scoring defense would be significantly behind WIU if the schedules were reversed and UND had played Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois State and NDSU.