SiouxSports.com Forum

gas prices

UND92,96

Doesn't Missouri typically have some of the lowest prices in the country? Why is that?

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that our state gas tax ($0.173) is one of the lowest in the nation (only 5 states

have a lower gas tax). Also, we're located relatively close to several refineries (3 in Kansas, 6 in Oklahoma, and 2 in

Arkansas). Oddly, when I was in Springfield for the UND-Mo. St. game a few weeks ago, prices there were about $0.20 lower than Kansas City.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that our state gas tax ($0.173) is one of the lowest in the nation (only 5 states

have a lower gas tax). Also, we're located relatively close to several refineries (3 in Kansas, 6 in Oklahoma, and 2 in

Arkansas). Oddly, when I was in Springfield for the UND-Mo. St. game a few weeks ago, prices there were about $0.20 lower than Kansas City.

My brothers live in Springfield...when I go visit gas is usually 35-40 cents less per gallon on average than in Fargo.

My brothers live in Springfield...when I go visit gas is usually 35-40 cents less per gallon on average than in Fargo.

Gas should be cheaper in Kansas City than in Springfield because it's a much bigger market, more competition, etc. The fact

that Springfield is usually cheaper than Kansas City (by up to $0.20) indicates that it's more of a free market with true competition and makes Kansas City look more cartel-ish.

• 2 weeks later...

What? It was $4 a gallon at $140 a barrel..

Like I said, it is $81 a barrel right now and $3.14!!!

Groceries haven't exactly gone down either, despite ag commodities about half price of a couple years ago.   In both instances the consumer gets used to the new price level, and the middle men roll in the money.

There is a supposed fuel shortage locally, which is serving as an excuse for why prices are staying high.

Was there a presidential election last time too? Gas always goes way down it seems.

John Kerry met with the Saudi's, who wanted to starve out ISIS, Russia, and Iran from oil income.  Kerry gladly endorsed it, because the admin is anti-oil but pro-green energy, but green energy needs even higher oil prices.  The best of both worlds for Obama before the election.  With gas prices down, maybe the Dems can get some more votes in their view, but the public sees incompetence in handling of health care, the IRS, ISIS, Russia, hatchets, and Ebola.

Its 2.62 in the VA, TN, NC border regions and dropping 0.05 a week.  State and Fed taxes are a big part, so as the oil price goes down, gasoline prices are not proportional.