SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at NDSU 2015 pregame thread (no smack)

geaux_sioux

Unless NDSU falls off big time next year I just don't see this being a game but then again that's why they play.  Upsets do happen.

UND has LOTS of work to do to make the game even competitive next September IMO.

Let say UND continues to get better as the year goes on. Towards the end of the year we play Weber State at the Alerus. What if we keep getting better and the game with Weber State is at least competitive. Weber State gave NDSU all they could handle a couple of weeks ago. Whose to say that next year when we play NDSU that the game couldn't at least be competitive(even though we don't win). You never know. The big "if" is whether we can even give Weber State any kind of game this year.

UND has LOTS of work to do to make the game even competitive next September IMO.

UND has time and will be better next year.  I have very good sources and one (coaches against SU) says NDSU will be down in talent and experience next year, another source from SU (current LB) admits they'll be down on experience but feels the strong recruiting classes will show on the field.  All things considered, it will be hard to close the gap before next years game.  The biggest wild card will be if UND can improve enough cause SU will be solid.

I am NOT saying we are going to beat NDSU.    That would be a lot more than anyone could expect.   I believe a lot of people think the game is going to be a total joke.   It could be.   But what  I was trying to imply is, would it be more than hopeful that we could at least give them a repectable game?   I think we will have a real sense of what the game could be like in a couple of weeks.

A couple things have to happen over the next 52 weeks:

- NDSU needs to have some down angle in their program. I don't expect much more than a 777 on approach. 

- UND needs some major up angle in the program, about what you see at 0:34 here

That combo might put them at the same altitude. 

A couple things have to happen over the next 52 weeks:

- NDSU needs to have some down angle in their program. I don't expect much more than a 777 on approach.

- UND needs some major up angle in the program, about what you see at 0:34 here.

That combo might put them at the same altitude.

That's pretty good.

In my opinion, Bubba put a lot of his credibility on the line insisting on these two games on the road. He needs to be competative. Getting our butts handed to us will not help our football team at all.

But having quality recruits who stay all four or five years of their eligibility will help UND football the most.

Mussman recruited players that were not dedicated and jumped ship after only a year or two. Bubba insists dedication and desire will be important in recruiting, which will improve the program the most.

Looking at Mussman's recruiting classes, it's no wonder UND football is so bad right now. Approximately only 50% of Mussman's classes from 2010-2012 are still on the roster; that's not good at all. NDSU on the other hand has over 75%.

We both play Montana at home this year, that's a good common game to judge it on somewhat anyway or atleast this years teams.

No it isn't. Players improve or get worse during the offseason. This year is not a measuring year of how next year will go. A lot of variables happen between now and the game next year, with injuries, transfers, recruits, suspensions. Everyone can look at now and say the Bisons will blow us out, but when the game is a week away it may tell a different story. Plus one more variable to consider. Teams get up for Super Bowls (NDSU volleyball this year vs UND).

But having quality recruits who stay all four or five years of their eligibility will help UND football the most.

Mussman recruited players that were not dedicated and jumped ship after only a year or two. Bubba insists dedication and desire will be important in recruiting, which will improve the program the most.

Looking at Mussman's recruiting classes, it's no wonder UND football is so bad right now. Approximately only 50% of Mussman's classes from 2010-2012 are still on the roster; that's not good at all. NDSU on the other hand has over 75%.

Agree with your analysis - however - how, under your player development theory, will we be ready for the Bison next year?  And how will getting our butts handed to us by our most hated rival help recruit these players?  If we suck next year this game is a huge mistake.  

• Upvote 1

Agree with your analysis - however - how, under your player development theory, will we be ready for the Bison next year? And how will getting our butts handed to us by our most hated rival help recruit these players? If we suck next year this game is a huge mistake.

Cause it will show the state UND isn't better than the three time defending national champs? Who would have thought!

UND doesn't really have much to lose by losing.

Agree with your analysis - however - how, under your player development theory, will we be ready for the Bison next year? And how will getting our butts handed to us by our most hated rival help recruit these players? If we suck next year this game is a huge mistake.

Have to wait to see how this season finishes out. If UND shows no improvement the rest of the season and finishes something like 2-10 then next year's NDSU game will likely get ugly. However, a lot of improvement could happen from now til then. It's important to remember NDSU loses talent/experience after this season and UND's many true freshman and redshirt freshmen will all have an additional year of experience under their belts.

What I'm trying to say is UND has a lot of season yet to improve and next year's game COULD be much more competitive than one thinks due to the rivalry factor. As far as my player development theory goes, UND's freshmen will be one more year developed and NDSU will have less developed players.

(Disclaimer: I in no way am trying to say I'm predicting UND wins the game)

NDSU will return everyone on O except Vaadeland, Crocket, and maybe Vraa, who will have a 6th season if he wants it.

On the other hand they will have 2 new ends, 3 new linebackers, and two new safeties.  That said, the deck is stacked and UND will need to find a QB to have a prayer.

This game next year is a huge mistake.  UND is staring at a 1 or 2 win season.  The talent level on this squad is hands down the very worst in the Big Sky and we're probably at least 2-3 years away from that reversing itself.  I'm confident that Schweigert can turn this around but all this does is give him a shorter lease and make his job harder that it has to be.

• Upvote 1

This game next year is a huge mistake. UND is staring at a 1 or 2 win season. The talent level on this squad is hands down the very worst in the Big Sky and we're probably at least 2-3 years away from that reversing itself. I'm confident that Schweigert can turn this around but all this does is give him a shorter lease and make his job harder that it has to be.

I'm excited to see UND-NDSU football again. And Bubba will have this program a winning season by 2016.

• Upvote 2