SiouxSports.com Forum

Shanley vs Minot Ryan girls basketball

SiouxFan100

I see that Class A girls basketball power Shanley will play Class B power Minot Ryan in Bismarck on December 27th. This will to generate more interest in ND basketball. Hopefully it will on TV or internet. Shanley lost very little from last year. In fact, Shanley has a few 6 foot sophomores that will help battle the talented six footers from Ryan. Shanley has a third 6 footer who will be playing volleyball for UND next year. Ryan has something like a 55 game winning streak. I didn’t go back and look, but I know there has been discussion about the Ryan girls in the women’s basketball section. Kudos to the coaches and teams that made this happen.

I see that Class A girls basketball power Shanley will play Class B power Minot Ryan in Bismarck on December 27th. This will to generate more interest in ND basketball. Hopefully it will on TV or internet. Shanley lost very little from last year. In fact, Shanley has a few 6 foot sophomores that will help battle the talented six footers from Ryan. Shanley has a third 6 footer who will be playing volleyball for UND next year. Ryan has something like a 55 game winning streak. I didn’t go back and look, but I know there has been discussion about the Ryan girls in the women’s basketball section. Kudos to the coaches and teams that made this happen.

Who had the better recruiting year last year?

Who had the better recruiting year last year?

Probably Ryan.   There's two new rural/suburban High Schools being built south of Minot, and Ryan is co-oping with one of them, South Prairie.  South Prairie and Nedrose used to contract their HS kids to Minot.  Not any more, as they'll see some pretty good growth.

Oh no - turning something good into something bad. This is very good for girls basketball. I thought both Ryan and Shanley would dominate this year. Now they get to play. The recruiting thing is something that has been talked about and talked about. A case could be made that a private school is supposed to recruit. That said, Shanley isn't very good at it because there have been more athletes that have transferred out of Shanley than have transferred into Shanley. My only comment on recruiting.

Oh no - turning something good into something bad. This is very good for girls basketball. I thought both Ryan and Shanley would dominate this year. Now they get to play. The recruiting thing is something that has been talked about and talked about. A case could be made that a private school is supposed to recruit. That said, Shanley isn't very good at it because there have been more athletes that have transferred out of Shanley than have transferred into Shanley. My only comment on recruiting.

Hope the UND coaches can be there to recruit and show support.

Probably Ryan. There's two new rural/suburban High Schools being built south of Minot, and Ryan is co-oping with one of them, South Prairie. South Prairie and Nedrose used to contract their HS kids to Minot. Not any more, as they'll see some pretty good growth.

Am I the only non-fan of ND high schools and co-ops being called things like "South Prairie," "Dakota Prairie," "North Star," and "North Border," among many others? It's almost impossible to tell where these schools/co-ops are located given such generic-sounding names. At least Belfield and South Heart went with "Heart River," which actually flows past the two towns. Also, kudos to towns like Richardton and Taylor for keeping their names combined instead of being "Prairie Western" or something silly like that.

End of rant. U of Mary is a good location for this girls' basketball event. Good call.

Am I the only non-fan of ND high schools and co-ops being called things like "South Prairie," "Dakota Prairie," "North Star," and "North Border," among many others? It's almost impossible to tell where these schools/co-ops are located given such generic-sounding names. At least Belfield and South heart went with "Heart River," which actually flows past the two towns. Also, kudos to towns like Richardton and Taylor for keeping their names combined instead of being "Prairie Western" or something silly like that.

End of rant. U of Mary is a good location for this girls' basketball event. Good call.

My favorite so far is Harvey-Wells County. Should just call themselves Wells County.

Agree on the stupid names. I can't keep any of them straight.

My favorite so far is Harvey-Wells County. Should just call themselves Wells County.

Agree on the stupid names. I can't keep any of them straight.

Agree but at least that gives you a clue on where the consolidation is at

"Dakota Prairie" that narrows it down to where?

Am I the only non-fan of ND high schools and co-ops being called things like "South Prairie," "Dakota Prairie," "North Star," and "North Border," among many others? It's almost impossible to tell where these schools/co-ops are located given such generic-sounding names. At least Belfield and South Heart went with "Heart River," which actually flows past the two towns. Also, kudos to towns like Richardton and Taylor for keeping their names combined instead of being "Prairie Western" or something silly like that.

I understand where you're coming from, but South Prairie isn't really a consolidation, but rather a school built in the middle of nowhere (on the prairie south of Minot, hence the name).  It's been a k-8 school for around 60 years, but with the growth on the south side of Minot they feel they have enough of an enrollment to support a  high school.  What will be interesting is if the population on the south side of Minot ask to be annexed into Minot Public Schools, since it's kind of an inconvenience for them to send their kids 10 miles south of town when there will soon be an Minot Public elementary school blocks from many of those houses.

I understand where you're coming from, but South Prairie isn't really a consolidation, but rather a school built in the middle of nowhere (on the prairie south of Minot, hence the name).  It's been a k-8 school for around 60 years, but with the growth on the south side of Minot they feel they have enough of an enrollment to support a  high school.  What will be interesting is if the population on the south side of Minot ask to be annexed into Minot Public Schools, since it's kind of an inconvenience for them to send their kids 10 miles south of town when there will soon be an Minot Public elementary school blocks from many of those houses.

The area where they are building the new elementary is actually right around where three school districts meet.  South Prairie, Minot, and Nedrose.  The lines are kinda screwy right now, so people have to be sure to check their tax statement to make sure which school district they are in.

• 3 months later...