SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

19 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Road trips to Tempe and Las Vegas when the weather in Grand Forks is -10....yeah, I think people would be in favor of this!!! ;)

Will need to block Allegiant from viewing the UNDsports website to keep fares down.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

If Mankato moved to the NCHC, how would that impact Bemidji and the WCHA?  For whatever reason, I'm fearful for Bemidji.  Is Bemidji's program sustainable if Mankato were to leave the WCHA or if there was a WCHA shakeup?

I’m still not a fan of adding Mankato to the NCHC because you might as well add the rest of the old WCHA. 

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

I’m still not a fan of adding Mankato to the NCHC because you might as well add the rest of the old WCHA. 

But if they add Bowling Green wouldn’t that be turning our conference into the old CCHA?

Miami, WMU, Omaha, BG, 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I think the NCHC should wait until another western school starts D1 and then add them as well as ASU. 

Don’t think Miami or WMU would like that.  Might have a mutiny.

But if more PAC12  or UNLV/ Boise St teams add hockey, St Cloud and Duluth wouldn’t want that many western teams in the league.

27 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Don’t think Miami or WMU would like that.  Might have a mutiny.

But if more PAC12  or UNLV/ Boise St teams add hockey, St Cloud and Duluth wouldn’t want that many western teams in the league.

I don't think that it's too much for schools in the NATIONAL Collegiate Hockey Conference to understand that the conference is not a regional conference (like Hockey East).  I don't think Miami and WMU would look to go to say the WCHA because of travel reasons.  

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I don't think that it's too much for schools in the NATIONAL Collegiate Hockey Conference to understand that the conference is not a regional conference (like Hockey East).  I don't think Miami and WMU would look to go to say the WCHA because of travel reasons.  

Miami and WMU would never go to the WCHA, but a new CCHA started by BGSU and Oakland with Niagara, Canisius, Mercyhurst etc around Lake Erie.  The WCHA in now a laggard conference with no name DI schools that BGSU desparately wants to get out of.

On 6/12/2018 at 4:32 PM, cberkas said:

BGSU trying to start up the CCHA again would be in a conference just like the WCHA is now. 

The new CCHA wouldn’t have two Alaska schools or DII Minnesota schools.

Always imagined that Spokane and Boise would make great college hockey cities.  EWU is moving the the PAC8 ACHA DII conference.  Boise St is already there.  EWU is merging their two club teams that played in the BCIHL and the NorPac and is stepping up.  Don’t know where they would get money to go varsity though.  Boise is probably more promising.

https://easterneronline.com/42923/sports/ewu-hockey-moves-to-new-conference/

On 6/12/2018 at 4:00 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

How about the P5 consolidating with ASU, an Illinois startup, and peeling off BC?   

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The new CCHA wouldn’t have two Alaska schools or DII Minnesota schools.

Always imagined that Spokane and Boise would make great college hockey cities.  EWU is moving the the PAC8 ACHA DII conference.  Boise St is already there.  EWU is merging their two club teams that played in the BCIHL and the NorPac and is stepping up.  Don’t know where they would get money to go varsity though.  Boise is probably more promising.

https://easterneronline.com/42923/sports/ewu-hockey-moves-to-new-conference/

It's a somewhat old tweet but the U of O student manager is trying to elevate their program.

Not exactly know where to put this, but Major Junior hockey has been reneging on college tuition payment.  The NCAA looks good in comparison.  It’s a war for recruits between NCAA teams and Major Junior ones.  The NCAA is looking better all the time.

https://www.tsn.ca/fight-intensifies-over-player-compensation-in-canada-s-major-junior-hockey-leagues-1.1106192

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 2:00 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Vegas is also planning on bidding for future Frozen Fours, Final Fours, and Super Bowls.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/tourism/group-focuses-on-bringing-super-bowl-final-four-to-las-vegas/

Super Bowl in Vegas, no brainer.  No reason to even bid when Vegas puts in their first bid.  

As far as Final Fours or Frozen Fours, doesn't the NCAA still have their stupid rule about NCAA sanctioned tournaments in the state of Nevada?  that would have to be lifted or a Frozen or Final Four to be there.  

17 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Super Bowl in Vegas, no brainer.  No reason to even bid when Vegas puts in their first bid.  

As far as Final Fours or Frozen Fours, doesn't the NCAA still have their stupid rule about NCAA sanctioned tournaments in the state of Nevada?  that would have to be lifted or a Frozen or Final Four to be there.  

With the nationwide legalization of sports betting, I think the NCAA is on record saying they will revisit (i.e., punt) the championship host rule.

18 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

With the nationwide legalization of sports betting, I think the NCAA is on record saying they will revisit (i.e., punt) the championship host rule.

Yeah, I would have to think the NC$$ will start seeing all those dollar signs and change that rule pretty quick.

20 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Nobody bids for super bowls anymore.  The NFL picks the site then works with the cities to see if they can make it work.  They just implemented that change.

On 6/16/2018 at 7:29 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Not exactly know where to put this, but Major Junior hockey has been reneging on college tuition payment.  The NCAA looks good in comparison.  It’s a war for recruits between NCAA teams and Major Junior ones.  The NCAA is looking better all the time.

https://www.tsn.ca/fight-intensifies-over-player-compensation-in-canada-s-major-junior-hockey-leagues-1.1106192

This bait and switch crap is unacceptable. They promise these kids that they'll pay for their college education if they choose them over the NCAA and when it is time to make good on it, the kids are told "Well, it just doesn't work that way here". This is the best argument for the NCAA over CHL.

• Upvote 1