SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

22 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Cal has spent $440 million improving fb facilities which lie right on top of a fault line.  And after these articles, athletics were forced major funding cuts.

http://www.dailycal.org/2018/01/17/central-campus-take-chunk-cal-athletics-debt/

https://deadspin.com/cal-is-fucked-because-of-its-stupid-stadium-deal-1795896858

Could see Stanford fielding a team here is a new 4500 seat arena generations before Cal:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/05/sharks-ice-skating-complex-san-jose-double-size-add-rinks-spectator-arena-sports-hockey/

That arena is 4 minuets away from San Jose State University and half an hour from Stanford. Sounds like Sharks Ice is going to use the 4,500 seat arena for SJSU to play in.

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

That arena is 4 minuets away from San Jose State University and half an hour from Stanford. Sounds like Sharks Ice is going to use the 4,500 seat arena for SJSU to play in.

Got to be kidding.  SJSU may be large but it has almost nil support.  UND has nearly twice the endowment, even though SJSU is minutes from the richest companies in the world and almost triple the size of UND.  It's so amazing that their alumni don't give a crap about SJSU probably because they have to spend $1 million just to buy a shack to live in.

Stanford grads give generously and Stanford has money coming out of every crevice. Stanford grads if they just check their couch cushions would get together more than enough money to endow hockey and even helicopter the team to practices through the heavy traffic.   Even BART could suffice.  But they need other PAC12 teams first.

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Off topic here, but it kind of goes to show that schools don't have to spend 50 million plus for a decent sized arena.  This is a temporary arena that seats 6,500:

Looks like a better way to use the HPC...

HPC Phase III, put in ice and use the cut programs from that place to bring back WH on campus.

• Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

HPC Phase III, put in ice and use the cut programs from that place to bring back WH on campus.

Could also save money on the cost by reducing seating by 95% of that example and still have plenty of extra room!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Why would we add women's hockey?  Nobody cared enough about it to go watch....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I believe full spring football practices with zero weather delays or field shoveling is a great way to use the HPC. Indoor track & Field meets are also a great use considering the climate.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Not expansion per se, but Bergeron at Bowling Green wants to pull out of the WCHA.  Two years notice is needed.

http://www.ay-ziggy-zoomba.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35222 

If Oakland hits the ice, a new CCHA can be formed with Atlantic Hockey teams near Lake Erie.

That would be the exact opposite of what he wants.

Miami and Western Michigan are better off where they are at and won't pay the cost to leave the NCHC.

He should just come out and say he wants in the NCHC.

11 minutes ago, cberkas said:

That would be the exact opposite of what he wants.

Miami and Western Michigan are better off where they are at and won't pay the cost to leave the NCHC.

He should just come out and say he wants in the NCHC.

Any Bowling Green President won’t like tying themselves in with DII schools.  That lowers the legitimacy of their program and demeans it academically.

Think like a President, not a coach wanting closer games.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Any Bowling Green President won’t like tying themselves in with DII schools.  That lowers the legitimacy of their program and demeans it academically.

Think like a President, not a coach wanting closer games.

SiouxVolley,  I AGREE WITH YOU!!!!  wow :D

20 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Not expansion per se, but Bergeron at Bowling Green wants to pull out of the WCHA.  Two years notice is needed.

http://www.ay-ziggy-zoomba.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35222 

If Oakland hits the ice, a new CCHA can be formed with Atlantic Hockey teams near Lake Erie.

What changed? Not even 2 years ago they declined to even CONSIDER leaving the WCHA with Kato (at least that's the line we've gotten since then). Now, they think they're going to lead 4-6 schools to do the same thing?

....Or maybe he spoke out of turn and has always wanted to leave, but the AD and Pres have said no. 

Something doesn't smell right about this.

1 hour ago, bale31 said:

What changed? Not even 2 years ago they declined to even CONSIDER leaving the WCHA with Kato (at least that's the line we've gotten since then). Now, they think they're going to lead 4-6 schools to do the same thing?

....Or maybe he spoke out of turn and has always wanted to leave, but the AD and Pres have said no. 

Something doesn't smell right about this.

First, off, it's a message board rumor. Second, is any hockey beat writer talking about this?  I doubt that WMU and MU are just going to cough up 1.5-2.0 million dollars and leave a great league. 

Berge wants out of The WCHA. Playing the lower PWR teams leave us no room for error. If we give 2 years notice there's no penalty for leaving so he's wanting to submit the resignation now and see what happens. He needs to get Moose on board then go to Rodgers. Worst case is we go back after the 2 years (they'll take us back because we're BG) if nothing breaks our way but he feels Tech, Northern, Mankato, and Bemidji would follow and Ferris would likely tag along. Playing it out, Miami and Western would likely join up, Bemidji and Mankato end up with the Nachos. We end up with NCHC=oWCHA - B1G and nCCHA = oCCHA -B1G which we all have debated. 

Look at what is being proposed, do you think Miami, and Western are really interested in this is a league than they're in? I don't. 

49 minutes ago, Goon said:

First, off, it's a message board rumor. Second, is any hockey beat writer talking about this?  I doubt that WMU and MU are just going to cough up 1.5-2.0 million dollars and leave a great league. 

Look at what is being proposed, do you think Miami, and Western are really interested in this is a league than they're in? I don't. 

It is a bit more than a message board rumor if the guy talked directly to the BG coach. I also said that something doesn't seem right about the whole thing since it flies in the face of what BG said just 2 years ago.

As for coughing up $1.5-$2.0 million, no, I don't think that they would just cough it up. The reality, though, is everything is negotiable. That sort of arrangement, to me, is to prevent what happened to the WCHA/CCHA where a bunch of schools up and left without a contingency plan for the rest of the league. What I mean is, and this is purely hypothetical and not meant to start any arguments of the merits of doing this, say, for example, that WMU and Miami decide it's in their best interest to be in a regional league where they can comfortably bus to most of their games. They could negotiate with the NCHC to allow Mankato and Bemidji into the league and they would go to the WCHA. The remaining teams in the league COULD choose to waive that fee to leave since they aren't going to be left out to dry like what happened previously. Or there could be any number of arrangements with multiple other schools to accomplish this. It would, of course, require ALL the schools working together to accomplish it. And that is were I see the biggest hangup. 

So, in short, no, I don't think it's realistic for WMU and Miami to leave their conference. I also don't think it's realistic to think BG is going anywhere unless other schools from other conferences move as well (unless they would be willing to go to the NCHC with a companion school). That, however, would probably spell a very bad scenario for the WCHA.

12 minutes ago, bale31 said:

It is a bit more than a message board rumor if the guy talked directly to the BG coach. I also said that something doesn't seem right about the whole thing since it flies in the face of what BG said just 2 years ago.

As for coughing up $1.5-$2.0 million, no, I don't think that they would just cough it up. The reality, though, is everything is negotiable. That sort of arrangement, to me, is to prevent what happened to the WCHA/CCHA where a bunch of schools up and left without a contingency plan for the rest of the league. What I mean is, and this is purely hypothetical and not meant to start any arguments of the merits of doing this, say, for example, that WMU and Miami decide it's in their best interest to be in a regional league where they can comfortably bus to most of their games. They could negotiate with the NCHC to allow Mankato and Bemidji into the league and they would go to the WCHA. The remaining teams in the league COULD choose to waive that fee to leave since they aren't going to be left out to dry like what happened previously. Or there could be any number of arrangements with multiple other schools to accomplish this. It would, of course, require ALL the schools working together to accomplish it. And that is were I see the biggest hangup. 

So, in short, no, I don't think it's realistic for WMU and Miami to leave their conference. I also don't think it's realistic to think BG is going anywhere unless other schools from other conferences move as well (unless they would be willing to go to the NCHC with a companion school). That, however, would probably spell a very bad scenario for the WCHA.

How about a scenario of BG joining the NCHC? That would certainly make WMU and MU happy. Maybe the conference could broker that deal in exchange for letting in another western school (Mankato). 

Just now, Godsmack said:

How about a scenario of BG joining the NCHC? That would certainly make WMU and MU happy. Maybe the conference could broker that deal in exchange for letting in another western school (Mankato). 

I think that was kind of the plan a couple years ago, but BG said no. That's when ASU joining became the only way that Kato got in. 

I'll be honest. If this conversation happened as relayed and we aren't losing any context (which seems to be the most likely scenario), I'm confused as to why now. BG didn't want this 2 years ago, why would they be willing to explore it now? Something just doesn't add up.

2 hours ago, bale31 said:

I think that was kind of the plan a couple years ago, but BG said no. That's when ASU joining became the only way that Kato got in. 

I'll be honest. If this conversation happened as relayed and we aren't losing any context (which seems to be the most likely scenario), I'm confused as to why now. BG didn't want this 2 years ago, why would they be willing to explore it now? Something just doesn't add up.

BGSU is unhappy that they're not part of the NCHC. During the first NCHC Frozen Faceoff, I had a discussion with one of the Miami bloggers from Blog of Brotherhood that told me that BGSU was very unhappy with the Miami for not going to bat for them and making a case for them to get into the NCHC. I am sure that nothing is changed, their fellow MAC schools are in a premiere conferences and they didn't want to be in the WCHA. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goon said:

BGSU is unhappy that they're not part of the NCHC. During the first NCHC Frozen Faceoff, I had a discussion with one of the Miami bloggers from Blog of Brotherhood that told me that BGSU was very unhappy with the Miami for not going to bat for them and making a case for them to get into the NCHC. I am sure that nothing is changed, their fellow MAC schools are in a premiere conferences and they didn't want to be in the WCHA. 

They should just come out and say it and not beat around the bush like the coach is doing.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Goon said:

Again, I'm confused by that. I'm not doubting it necessarily, but someone doesn't know what they're talking about then. The scuttlebut when MSU was applying to the NCHC was that BG said no to applying. I know Schloss said there was no "official" on the record conversations, but there is more than a little bit of conflicting details on this stuff.

Again, that's why I think there was some context missing or someone isn't or hasn't been getting the whole story all along. 

For what it's worth, the blogger that had the conversation with Bergeron had this to say over at USCHO:

It was an interesting conversation. I did not get the impression AT ALL that anything was imminent OR likely; it was his opinion/desires based on the status quo. I also got the impression that LSSU was included in the yooperland mix. And it's not a secret we've held onto our dreams of a nCCHA rising from the ash-heap of long lost college hockey leagues. So take it for what it's worth, but let the speculation begin! Besides, we need something to talk about over the summer.

14 hours ago, cberkas said:

They should just come out and say it and not beat around the bush like the coach is doing.

Yeah, but that's what MSU did and we have egg on our face and are not very well liked by the rest of the schools in the conference we play it. It's easy to say that's what they should do, but it's pretty difficult to actually do it and live with the consequences.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think this will lead to a men's D-1 team. Idalski  can now stop being paid by UND an go run another women's hockey team.

Adam Wodon @CHN_AdamWodon
Follow Follow @CHN_AdamWodon
More

I got confirmation that LIU-Brooklyn is adding a D-I Women's hockey program for 2019-20 and is looking for a head coach - but has not publicized this fact, and doesn't plan to. Which is really weird IMO.