SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

12 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Denver isn't getting into any other conference until they adjust their sports offerings. They would rather stick with what they have and be in the Summit than change. They made that clear when searching for a new conference and settling on the Summit.

Denver was nearly expelled by the Sun Belt because DU didn't comply with the Belt's new requirement that a school had to sponsor 12 sports that the conference did.  DU didn't change sports one lick and went to the WAC for a season and then got out.  The WCC doesn't want to send their water polo and rowing teams to Colorado regardless if DU offered it.  The problem DU has is their bb teams are bad so no medium power conference wants them.  Almost all their other sports like soccer, gymnastics, skiing, lacrosse and of course hockey are national powers.

40 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Ariz St, Oregon St, Wash St, and Utah wouldn't be in the PAC12 as their research levels are much lower than the rest of the PAC, but the PAC wanted numbers for TV eyeballs. 

Oregon State and Washington State were members before AM radio went mainstream, so I'll beg to differ on this one.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Ariz St, Oregon St, Wash St, and Utah wouldn't be in the PAC12 as their research levels are much lower than the rest of the PAC, but the PAC wanted numbers for TV eyeballs. 

All research done at Yellowstone is done by Utah. 

12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Denver was nearly expelled by the Sun Belt because DU didn't comply with the Belt's new requirement that a school had to sponsor 12 sports that the conference did.  DU didn't change sports one lick and went to the WAC for a season and then got out.  The WCC doesn't want to send their water polo and rowing teams to Colorado regardless if DU offered it.  The problem DU has is their bb teams are bad so no medium power conference wants them.  Almost all their other sports like soccer, gymnastics, skiing, lacrosse and of course hockey are national powers.

When did the WCC get water polo?  Some of their teams are in the GCC, some are in the WWPA and the WWPA already goes to Colorado for Air Force.  The Falcons do two-game road trips frequently to California, so those WWPA teams could easily do the Colorado swing for the 3+ teams that make the trip each season.

12 hours ago, cberkas said:

All research done at Yellowstone is done by Utah. 

14 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Oregon State and Washington State were members before AM radio went mainstream, so I'll beg to differ on this one.  

Those schools are not AAU members, which are prestigious research schools.   You have to take it up with the AAU.  Their Presidents are always fighting to get in.

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

When did the WCC get water polo?  Some of their teams are in the GCC, some are in the WWPA and the WWPA already goes to Colorado for Air Force.  The Falcons do two-game road trips frequently to California, so those WWPA teams could easily do the Colorado swing for the 3+ teams that make the trip each season.

That's the very point.  If Denver added sports to fit in with their conference, it would screw up existing single sport conference relationships.  If Men basketball as good and helped RPI, DU would be much more in demand.

20 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

That's the very point.  If Denver added sports to fit in with their conference, it would screw up existing single sport conference relationships.  If Men basketball as good and helped RPI, DU would be much more in demand.

I'm just curious.  When was the last prediction you made that actually came true?  

On 2/2/2018 at 4:12 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Your writeup on why you would advise Arizona State not be invited to the NCHC is appropriate for a clueless Hall of Fame, or rather infamous.

So what you're saying is you haven't had a correct prediction since 2010? 

• Upvote 1

On 2/2/2018 at 5:12 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Your writeup on why you would advise Arizona State not be invited to the NCHC is appropriate for a clueless Hall of Fame, or rather infamous.

Thanks for reading Skippy. 

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, southpaw said:

So what you're saying is you haven't had a correct prediction since 2010? 

Since UND moved to DI, am batting .750.  Your at what, .000?

Stated well before Penn St added hockey that the P1G would add hockey.  I was laughed at by self appointed experts like Goon.  UND and Denver will run through burning hoops to protect their hockey programs.

Got the Great West right.

Got the Big Sky whan all the trolls and "experts" said it will never happen and mocked me for years.

Never considered that NDSU wouId actually let us in the Summit but the price was two Fargo fb games for admission.  Presidents get an orgasm if they get like schools together and The Great Northern remake of the Summit is coming. Idaho wants FBS badly and they will get a Summit fb league to form once IPFW is gone.

The WAC FBS statement were nearly home run but foul.

So I back on the topic of hockey, I wonder if anyone has looked at Eastern Washington. They have acha club teams and a Team the competes in British Columbia Inter-College Hockey Leauge, along with Simon Fraiser, While it doesn't look like the offer full rides, they do offer partial scholarships.  I know Simon Fraser has been discussed, but Eastern Washington has on-campus facilities already that could work for practice and training, and the Veterans Memorial Arena in Spokane is a good facility with seating for 10,000 and already hosts the Spokane Chiefs of the WHL,  Eastern Washington could easily become a secondary tenant to the building.  They could be a good school to help Push the University of Washington or Boise state into upgrading their club programs.

5 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So I back on the topic of hockey, I wonder if anyone has looked at Eastern Washington. They have acha club teams and a Team the competes in British Columbia Inter-College Hockey Leauge, along with Simon Fraiser, While it doesn't look like the offer full rides, they do offer partial scholarships.  I know Simon Fraser has been discussed, but Eastern Washington has on-campus facilities already that could work for practice and training, and the Veterans Memorial Arena in Spokane is a good facility with seating for 10,000 and already hosts the Spokane Chiefs of the WHL,  Eastern Washington could easily become a secondary tenant to the building.  They could be a good school to help Push the University of Washington or Boise state into upgrading their club programs.

With the budget issues at EWU and a President who appears to be reluctant to emphasize sports, I doubt they will be adding hockey any time soon, if ever.

• 1 month later...