SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

• 3 weeks later...

"Everything was done the right way [at Penn State]. It’s the model of how to start a program, and they’re proving they can be successful"

Jason Gonzalez has a point:   Penn State picked an autobid conference to join, and scheduled most of their non-conference games against the other autobid conference.  It is a model for a program to have a have a winning record with a pretty weak team. 

There's a rumor on USCO from a Sun Devil fan about Illinois St starting DI hockey. Downtown Bloomington, Ill, has a 7k arena that houses a USHL team, so the rumor could be credible. Only league they could go is the WCHA. Ill St's club team is moving to ACHA D1 too.

I saw that, he also said it wasn't a credible source. Illinois State, Arizona, Cincinnati, and Nebraska have arena's that are close to campus.

Illinois State could go NCHC they'll share the U.S. Cellular Coliseum with the Bloomington Thunder and also have a hockey rick close to campus.

There also a rumor that Boston U wants to upgrade it sports programs. BU was just accepted into AAU a couple of years ago, so they have academic credentials. BU is lobbying the Big East, where they would play MBB in the Boston Garden. There's also talk that they could move their hockey program to the BTHC. If BU hockey goes to the BTHC, BC would probably have to look at it.

If these talks are real, Notre Dame has to be seriously talking with the NCHC.

There also a rumor that Boston U wants to upgrade it sports programs. BU was just accepted into AAU a couple of years ago, so they have academic credentials. BU is lobbying the Big East, where they would play MBB in the Boston Garden. There's also talk that they could move their hockey program to the BTHC. If BU hockey goes to the BTHC, BC would probably have to look at it.

If these talks are real, Notre Dame has to be seriously talking with the NCHC.

UConn is the one BU/BC fans have brought up UConn fans keep saying they're going to get invited to the B1G, I haven't heard BU or BC leaving for the B1G.

I've heard Nebraska lost their AAU when they left the Big 12 for the B1G.

I do think Notre Dame is talking to the NCHC, both parties are keeping it quiet.

I've heard Nebraska lost their AAU when they left the Big 12 for the B1G.

Two members of the B1G actually voted to kick them out (Wisconsin and Michigan).  A big reason they were kicked out is because a lot of their research funding was coming from non-competitive grants (very similar to a nearby school that likes to too its own horn about research).

• Upvote 1

Liberty just announced that it will expand its on campus rink to seat 3200. Doubt they would do that for club teams. Atlantic Hockey here Liberty and Navy come!

Wow they will actually have a really cool arena. http://www.liberty.edu/campusrec/clubsports/index.cfm?PID=25954&NewsID=1016&TeamID=

This has D1 written all over it. 10 suites....

WCHA commissioner was just on and talked very candidly about how they really are coveting ASU. Something came to my mind during this conversation. Would NCHC pass up ASU if it could lure Bemidji and Mankato to the conference. I am looking at travel as being the reason behind this move. Let WCHA have ASU and let's say Alabama or Notre Dame?

WCHA commissioner was just on and talked very candidly about how they really are coveting ASU. Something came to my mind during this conversation. Would NCHC pass up ASU if it could lure Bemidji and Mankato to the conference. I am looking at travel as being the reason behind this move. Let WCHA have ASU and let's say Alabama or Notre Dame?

The NCHC could have had Bemidji and Mankato if they wanted them.  The NCHC was set up to attract schools that will financially support their hockey programs at a high level.  Bemidji and Mankato didn't meet those expectations.  St. Cloud was a last minute addition when they wanted an 8th member.  Schools from a Power 5 conference would be more likely to have the resources needed.  If they are adding a sport like hockey like ASU, or have it and have shown an interest in supporting it, like Notre Dame, the school is more attractive to the NCHC.  The conference was meant to be a national conference, which is why they invited schools from Ohio to Colorado, so they aren't going to invite schools based on decreasing travel.

I don't know if the NCHC would but I would much rather have hockey schools like Bemidji and Mankato over Arizona State. I really wish one of those B1G teams would drop hockey and we could go back to the old WCHA maybe Ohio State could make that happen it isn't like they really support it now.