SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

• 3 weeks later...

The University of Providence, formerly Great Falls College, announced last week that it will begin sponsoring scholarship  mens and women's hockey next year .  It is an NAIA school, like the U of Jamestown, so will compete against club teams and then for an NAIA championship.  It will play in a 1500 seat ice plex in Great Falls.  This school has been aggressive in adding sports having added  men's lacrosse and womens wrestling.

59 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The University of Providence, formerly Great Falls College, announced last week that it will begin sponsoring scholarship  mens and women's hockey next year .  It is an NAIA school, like the U of Jamestown, so will compete against club teams and then for an NAIA championship.  It will play in a 1500 seat ice plex in Great Falls.  This school has been aggressive in adding sports having added  men's lacrosse and womens wrestling.

Wrong school, Great Falls College is part of MSU. University of Great Falls is now University of Providence. NAIA is still under the ACHA.

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Think the NHL is looking bigger, schools like Pitt, Buffalo, Penn or Temple, maybe Stony Brook.

Oakland wasn't one anyone would have thought to be part of the study. The Blues and Lindenwood are sharing a facility once it's built.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Oakland wasn't one anyone would have thought to be part of the study. The Blues and Lindenwood are sharing a facility once it's built.

Oakland is a rather significant school in the Detroit area that is already DI.  Lindenwood is a DII, although maybe that will change.  Expect the NHL announced the smaller school, Oakland now, and will progress to bigger ones.  NHL dreams would be schools like UCLA and Stanford.

Lindenwood already has done much homework on DI and DI hockey as it was considering buying the 10,000 seat arena in St Charles, so it might happen even if the NHL doesn't pay for a study.

• Upvote 1

This USA Today article says Oakland has been contemplating hockey for some time and they have needed conference information.  Bring back the CCHA.  The NHL will only give a study to those schools that are serious.  It also says if Oakland starts women's hockey Mich and Mich St probably will too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/10/16/nhl-invests-building-college-hockey-michigan-school/769901001/

Bowling Green is just waiting to restart the CCHA, but they need more teams in the area.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

This USA Today article says Oakland has been contemplating hockey for some time and they have needed conference information.  Bring back the CCHA.  The NHL will only give a study to those schools that are serious.  It also says if Oakland starts women's hockey Mich and Mich St probably will too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/10/16/nhl-invests-building-college-hockey-michigan-school/769901001/

Bowling Green is just waiting to restart the CCHA, but they need more teams in the area.

Oakland contacted College Hockey Inc. about the study. 

On 10/16/2017 at 4:34 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Med school, law school, 20,000 students, Div. 1 Horizon League.

Could be a school the NCHC considers.  Especially to satisfy WMU and MU in the event ASU or another western school is brought in.

If the NCHC didn't take a Power 5 school they won't be taking Oakland anytime soon. I suspect they'd join the WCHA or we could see the CCHA reform IF Oakland actually makes a team. Remember these are only studies at this point. 

55 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Right...cause Oakland University is so massive. 

Having lived near StL...they are ripe for a college team.

50 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

If the NCHC didn't take a Power 5 school they won't be taking Oakland anytime soon. I suspect they'd join the WCHA or we could see the CCHA reform IF Oakland actually makes a team. Remember these are only studies at this point. 

litch gave Wayne St like $30 million for a new business school on his Red Wings arena development before he died.  Wayne St used to have a DI teams but Oakland got the nod.  Oakland needs a 4k arena on campus, which could be cheaper than what Illinois or I was are looking at.  Oakland is a growing wealthy county north of Detroit and will be the power of metro Detroit athletics.  U of Detroit has really fallen off and Wayne St can't get anything going athletically, so Oakland will take the reins and they actually left the vaunted Summit league for better digs with the Horizon.

Bowling Green wants badly out the WCHA because it's embarrassing to their administrators to be in a league of DII schools.  Hockey fans don't notice, but Presidents cringe at the thought.  Miami and WMU would move over if a new CCHA could nab a Pitt or Syracuse, because they can't stand the thought of having future NCHC teams three time zones away like Ariz St.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

litch gave Wayne St like $30 million for a new business school on his Red Wings arena development before he died.  Wayne St used to have a DI teams but Oakland got the nod.  Oakland needs a 4k arena on campus, which could be cheaper than what Illinois or I was are looking at.  Oakland is a growing county north of Detroit and will be the power of metro Detroit athletics.  U of Detroit has really fallen off and Wayne St can't get anything going athletically, so Oakland will take the reins.

Bowling Green wants badly out the WCHA because it's embarrassing to their administrators to be in a league of DII schools.  Hockey fans don't notice, but Presidents cringe at the thought.  Mimic and WMU would move over if a new CCHA could nab a Pitt or Sytacuse.

I have yet to hear or see anything saying BGSU wants out of the WCHA. If they really wanted out they could have done what Mankato did and apply to be in the NCHC. With Hastings new contract I see why Mankato wants in the NCHC.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I have yet to hear or see anything saying BGSU wants out of the WCHA. If they really wanted out they could have done what Mankato did and apply to be in the NCHC. With Hastings new contract I see why Mankato wants in the NCHC.

There was an article shortly after they move to the WCHA where their was a rumor that they were going to start a new CCHA.  Any BGSU President worth half a sh** isn't going to stay in the WCHA long.  The options are get out (form a new CCHA) or drop hockey.  Since they haven't dropped hockey, some CCHA talk is still ongoing.

31 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

There was an article shortly after they move to the WCHA where their was a rumor that they were going to start a new CCHA.  Any BGSU President worth half a sh** isn't going to stay in the WCHA long.  The options are get out (form a new CCHA) or drop hockey.  Since they haven't dropped hockey, some CCHA talk is still ongoing.

That was from a fan blog.

On October 16, 2017 at 4:38 PM, cberkas said:

Two that jump out as not having hockey in Michigan are Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan.

If enough Michigan schools had D1 hockey they could start their own instate conference. 

You have good knowledge about hockey conferences. People say Big 10 hockey is not the place to be.

i keep thinking at some point and time it will be the place to be. 

10 minutes ago, moser53 said:

You have good knowledge about hockey conferences. People say Big 10 hockey is not the place to be.

I wouldn't say I have good knowledge on hockey conferences.

The problem I see with the B1G is, what happens to an non-B1G school when a B1G school adds hockey? If two more B1G schools add hockey does Notre Dame get kicked out? The whole B1G will add Duluth or Omaha thing that started this talk again last time was probably said to get UND to play it's hand. Then there is the gamble to see if UND can get BTN money. Is the risk to get nothing from BTN worth being in the B1G? Right now the NCHC is strong, B1G isn't pulling away like most people thought they would. For me there is only 3 teams in the B1G i'd care to play Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Michigan doesn't want to play UND and the rest of the B1G are not that exciting to play against. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, moser53 said:

I've been thinking from the start that the B1G will be the place to be, sure they had a very rough start. They already took most of the bumps out of that. The B1G led all conferences with the average season per game home attendance the last two years. This season they also have Notre Dame. The B1Ghockey will have 8 teams down the road, and will continue to lead in average season per game home attendance.

UND leads to country in average season per game home attendance. Take UND out of the NCHC and you paint a different picture for the NCHC.

3 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I've been thinking from the start that the B1G will be the place to be, sure they had a very rough start. They already took most of the bumps out of that. The B1G led all conferences with the average season per game home attendance the last two years. This season they also have Notre Dame. The B1Ghockey will have 8 teams down the road, and will continue to lead in average season per game home attendance.

UND leads to country in average season per game home attendance. Take UND out of the NCHC and you paint a different picture for the NCHC.

We would end up being the Red Headed Stepchild of the B1G. They would take us to get to 8 teams, then treat us like dirt while they kiss Notre Dame's Irish a$$. And I just don't see them making the move worth our while in terms of $$$$$ and TV coverage.

• Upvote 1