SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

3 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

FIrst, my mistake I was thinking of Pittsburg State... my mistake. But the rule you are thinking of does not allow schools to play down a level, however, they can play up if the sport is not offered at Division 2 level. If schools couldn't play up for hockey then about a third of college hockey programs wouldn't be able to play. There is also an exemption for Colorado College which plays D1 hockey but is actually a D-3 school in all other sports.

http://www.uscho.com/2015/01/09/commentary-without-an-ncaa-tournament-to-play-for-division-ii-teams-are-stuck-in-the-middle/

The guy who knows a lot about the play up or down thing is Jeff Cox a Hockey East writer. School like Colorado College are grandfathered in. 

I think the NCAA should just let the D2 hockey teams play D1.

50 minutes ago, cberkas said:

The guy who knows a lot about the play up or down thing is Jeff Cox a Hockey East writer. School like Colorado College are grandfathered in. 

I think the NCAA should just let the D2 hockey teams play D1.

If they want the sport to grow the best way to do it will be a combination of D2 and D1 schools. Also, I think I'd rather that they have sperate hockey-only conferences. It's a far better than the major conferences trying to add hockey. This would allow conferences to be more region specific and help to decrease travel costs.  

26 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

If they want the sport to grow the best way to do it will be a combination of D2 and D1 schools. Also, I think I'd rather that they have sperate hockey-only conferences. It's a far better than the major conferences trying to add hockey. This would allow conferences to be more region specific and help to decrease travel costs.  

I don't mind major conferences adding hockey, it's not like the B1G has been dominating the last 5 years. I only see one major conference adding hockey to its members sports and that's the Pac-12. 

At some point the NCHC will expand and even the WCHA could expand. The CCHA could come back as a conference with teams that weren't in the CCHA. A new CCHA that is in the BIGXII, SEC, and ACC footprint where the conferences are slightly over lapped. 

No matter who adds hockey they are going to need donors to make a big donation. Some could go with a Arizona State type donation, but most will need a Penn State donation. 4,000 to 5,000 is the minimum of a college hockey arena.

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

I don't mind major conferences adding hockey, it's not like the B1G has been dominating the last 5 years. I only see one major conference adding hockey to its members sports and that's the Pac-12. 

At some point the NCHC will expand and even the WCHA could expand. The CCHA could come back as a conference with teams that weren't in the CCHA. A new CCHA that is in the BIGXII, SEC, and ACC footprint where the conferences are slightly over lapped. 

No matter who adds hockey they are going to need donors to make a big donation. Some could go with a Arizona State type donation, but most will need a Penn State donation. 4,000 to 5,000 is the minimum of a college hockey arena.

Depending on the conference I think that 2500 capacity would be the bare minimum, so long as it has modern broadcast facilities. I'm not sure how the CCHA would come back, the WCHA for all intents and purposes is the CCHA with four Old WCHA holdovers. I'm curious as to which schools would add hockey to keep both conferences intact. Well, I guess the best way is which schools could do this via the ASU route (smaller donation) or the PSU route (Larger donation plus arena).

Minnesota

Moorhead State University- Dragons - ASU route - They came pretty close to adding hockey a few years ago but were unable to. Now with a better economy and a Republican legislature which is more interested in helping the state universities, Moorhead would probably need less donated capital to start a hockey program. While I think Moorhead could get a Bonding bill passed to build a new arena it would likely be able to use Scheels Arena until it could build its arena, the Sanford Center would be a good template for a Moorhead arena, plus the arena could also host spuds matchups and youth hockey. I am reasonably confident that Moorhead will have D1 hockey in the not too distant future.

U of M Crookston- Golden Eagles- (PSU) - This is a long shot, as a community Crookston is quite small when you add in the college student body the town has just over 10,000 people. However, for the sake of argument, Crookston does still have a successful division 2 club, and actually, would have a new and more decent facility that it could play in than ASU's oceanside arena.And actually, it would have the same capacity as Robert Morris.Of course, the downside of a return of Golden Eagle hockey would be that Crookston would be in the shadow of UND hockey, but never say never. Even if they didn't get the money for a new arena, they would still have a serviceable facility to play at. All that said I still think this would be a long shot, a very long shot.

South West State University - Mustangs - (ASU) - This one is another longshot, but maybe not as much as Crookston. SWSU has an enrollment of around 9,000 students making it larger than BSU and has a town which is around 13,000 residents, again similar to Bemidji. The school does currently have intermural teams, but I can't find any mention of a club team. This city also has a newly built arena (Red Baron Ice Arena) which has a capacity of 1400, which is the same as Holy Cross College,.this could work in a pinch until funding could be obtained for a new arena. But I think they would only need to build a Ridder Arena-Sized building; it is possible that Read Barron Arena could be augmented to add another side of bleachers and bring up the seating capacity to just under 3000. I think this is still a long shot but not quite as long as Crookston.

Winona State Unversity - Warriors - (PSU) - With around 10,000 students and a city of just over 27,000 Winona on paper is probably the best choice for hockey other than Moorhead State. Winona Has an existing ACHA DII club program which seems to generate a good bit of interest on campus.The biggest obstacle Warrior hockey would face is the lack of even minimally acceptable facilities, the team currently plays at Bud King Arena which seats 500, this would not work. Winona would need a brand new facility I think something Similar in size to Sandford Center or Verizon Wireless Center. Though if the Facility was a multipurpose facility designed to host basketball and hockey games, they might find it easier to get funding. Still from what I understand club hockey is still fairly new at Winona, but it's off to a promising start.

I'll do the dakotas later...

• Upvote 1

At least most of you get my point...about 'like minded institutions'..... F S F L is somewhere in the past....fighting the nickname/logo battle!!!!!  It's over F S F L,,,,I'm sure you're too young to remember the GF Central chants of "Redskins Forever"!!!!

Moorhead State did look at D 1 hockey....playing their games in Scheels Arena...10 million start up fee said their Prez....didn't have a 'Ralph' to step up.....yet!!!!

• Downvote 6

As promised here come the Dakota schools…

North Dakota

Minot State University –Beavers – ASU - for the sake of argument here I’m going to be ignoring the unfortunate recent events which cause massive cuts throughout the North Dakota Public University system. Minot state University is the fourth largest institution in the state of North Dakota, however even with that distinction its student body still amounts to just under 4000, the bright side is that the Minot area has around 77,000 people living in it. And I’m not entirely sure that those figures include Minot Air Force Base. This, means that there is a large enough population there to be able to support a college hockey program. Masya Arena has a seating capacity of 1800 people, I’m not sure if there’s any room to possibly expand that level of seating, but this would be sufficient enough for the short term until a new arena could be built with larger seating capacity.  One of the biggest issues Minot would face would be travel expenses.  It should be noted that Minot state does have a very successful ACHA Division I program. So they have the framework with which to build a NCAA Division I squad, it all comes down to getting enough funds scholarships and running the program, while new arena would certainly be nice I don’t think it’s necessary right away.

North Dakota State University- Bison – PSU - This forum has had numerous postings on the potential of North Dakota State adding hockey. North Dakota State right now is so focused on their football program I doubt they would add hockey and less they were given the Penn State sized gift to create a hockey program. I think there is a bit of a chip on the shoulder mentality when it comes to the idea of hockey and NDSU. They play up the idea that NDSU is strictly a football school and there’s no interest in hockey. However, the Fargo-Moorhead area is a hockey town. I think it’s more a matter of just giving them the right incentive. So if somebody wanted to endow an NDSU hockey program, I have a feeling it would do just fine. I also don’t think there would be a problem with both Moorhead State and North Dakota State having Division I hockey programs. If you look at the numbers from other college hockey cities. Minnesota State University in recent years has been able to fill up their building at least 70% full on the majority of nights if not more with a similar population to Moorhead. To be fair, a good chunk of the reason some of those seats are empty is that it’s a U-shaped arena and no one wants to sit on either end of the U. Fargo is at least twice the size of Moorhead and would likely be able to support high turnout for Bison hockey. However, in the current climate, I can’t see North Dakota State University make an actual effort to try and actively get a Division I hockey program. Someone would have to give them a large financial gift to get them to create a hockey program, and I think this would also need to include a new arena. It should be noted that North Dakota state does have men’s and women’s ACHA Division I clubs. From what I understand the Bison men’s club is not particularly good however they do have a very successful women’s club which means if they got enough money they could start both men and women’s hockey programs.

South Dakota

The University of South Dakota – Coyotes – PSU - the University of South Dakota is located in Vermillion South Dakota. The town is pretty small of population of around 10,000, but the large student body of around 9000 helps to make up for that. While the idea of hockey working in Vermillion is by no means stretch, the town itself is similar in size to Bemidji, and student body is much larger Bemidji State, STU faces some challenges to adding Division I men’s hockey. The Coyotes have a club which currently plays in the ACHA. However, they play as a Division III club. Additionally Vermillion does not have any indoor ice, which means the team has to drive to the nearby town of Yankton for the nearest indoor ice. Additionally, this arena and Yankton is not capable of acting even as a temporary home for a Division I University of South Dakota hockey team, so right out the gate the school would need a new arena in Vermillion. Realistically even with the Division III club the University would be starting from scratch and creating a men’s hockey go hopefully the Division III club would help to gauge how interested students might be in seeing a men’s hockey program at the University of South Dakota. I’m going to call this one a long shot as there just doesn’t seem to be as significant a level of interest as at other schools.

South Dakota State University – jackrabbits – ASU - SDSU is not much better off than the University of South Dakota when it comes to creating a hockey program. They do have a facility and the club program. However, like the University of South Dakota, the club program competes at the Division III level. The major advantage that South Dakota State has is that there is an ice arena in the Brookings with seating capacity for 2000, which would make it bigger or on par with many of the smaller East Coast thus a serviceable arena for the program to at least get started in. Another advantage which the state has over University of South Dakota is that Brookings is double the size of around 23,000 people and a student body of 12,000 there would be more than enough people theoretically to come in support a Jackrabbits Division I hockey program. However much like some of the other programs I’ve talked about even though SDSU would have a serviceable arena to start with they would eventually need to move to a new facility with higher capacity especially if they had any designs on joining the NCHC, even the WCHA would likely push for the University to either create a new venue or to make significant renovations to the existing arena. However, the WCHA might be willing to overlook the seating capacity and more basic amenities in the beginning.

Northern State University – wolves – ASU – northern state is similar to Clarkston in the fact that creating a Division I college hockey program would be a long shot at the school. Unlike Crookson the Aberdeen area is a fair bit larger at around 26,000. However, the University has just under 4000 student meeting there would be a particularly large student body to support men’s Division I hockey program. Another factor that would go against northern state creating a D1 men’s hockey program is the lack of an existing club program. While it’s possible that such a program does exist and I’m just not finding it, I haven’t been able to find any website referencing and ACHA club program at Northern State. However, if Northern State University were to create a Division I men’s hockey program there is an arena in town with seating for just under 2000 which could serve as a serviceable home for the men’s hockey program until the facility could either be expanded to increase capacity or an entirely new facility could be built. In all likelihood, northern state would not be a viable candidate for adding a men’s hockey team however they do have some of the infrastructure necessary for doing it and stranger things have happened

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Depending on the conference I think that 2500 capacity would be the bare minimum, so long as it has modern broadcast facilities. I'm not sure how the CCHA would come back, the WCHA for all intents and purposes is the CCHA with four Old WCHA holdovers. I'm curious as to which schools would add hockey to keep both conferences intact. Well, I guess the best way is which schools could do this via the ASU route (smaller donation) or the PSU route (Larger donation plus arena).

Minnesota

Moorhead State University- Dragons - ASU route - They came pretty close to adding hockey a few years ago but were unable to. Now with a better economy and a Republican legislature which is more interested in helping the state universities, Moorhead would probably need less donated capital to start a hockey program. While I think Moorhead could get a Bonding bill passed to build a new arena it would likely be able to use Scheels Arena until it could build its arena, the Sanford Center would be a good template for a Moorhead arena, plus the arena could also host spuds matchups and youth hockey. I am reasonably confident that Moorhead will have D1 hockey in the not too distant future.

U of M Crookston- Golden Eagles- (PSU) - This is a long shot, as a community Crookston is quite small when you add in the college student body the town has just over 10,000 people. However, for the sake of argument, Crookston does still have a successful division 2 club, and actually, would have a new and more decent facility that it could play in than ASU's oceanside arena.And actually, it would have the same capacity as Robert Morris.Of course, the downside of a return of Golden Eagle hockey would be that Crookston would be in the shadow of UND hockey, but never say never. Even if they didn't get the money for a new arena, they would still have a serviceable facility to play at. All that said I still think this would be a long shot, a very long shot.

South West State University - Mustangs - (ASU) - This one is another longshot, but maybe not as much as Crookston. SWSU has an enrollment of around 9,000 students making it larger than BSU and has a town which is around 13,000 residents, again similar to Bemidji. The school does currently have intermural teams, but I can't find any mention of a club team. This city also has a newly built arena (Red Baron Ice Arena) which has a capacity of 1400, which is the same as Holy Cross College,.this could work in a pinch until funding could be obtained for a new arena. But I think they would only need to build a Ridder Arena-Sized building; it is possible that Read Barron Arena could be augmented to add another side of bleachers and bring up the seating capacity to just under 3000. I think this is still a long shot but not quite as long as Crookston.

Winona State Unversity - Warriors - (PSU) - With around 10,000 students and a city of just over 27,000 Winona on paper is probably the best choice for hockey other than Moorhead State. Winona Has an existing ACHA DII club program which seems to generate a good bit of interest on campus.The biggest obstacle Warrior hockey would face is the lack of even minimally acceptable facilities, the team currently plays at Bud King Arena which seats 500, this would not work. Winona would need a brand new facility I think something Similar in size to Sandford Center or Verizon Wireless Center. Though if the Facility was a multipurpose facility designed to host basketball and hockey games, they might find it easier to get funding. Still from what I understand club hockey is still fairly new at Winona, but it's off to a promising start.

The UM Crookston NCAA D2 program has been folded for years and the UMC club program has had a history of ups and downs.  Talking to several alumni, there will be no hockey at UMC under the current athletic director.

The Winona State club program is on a 2 year suspension for disciplinary purposes and most of the hockey players have or are planning on transferring to other schools to keep playing club hockey.

Just now, Air Force One said:

The UM Crookston NCAA D2 program has been folded for years and the UMC club program has had a history of ups and downs.  Talking to several alumni, there will be no hockey at UMC under the current athletic director.

The Winona State club program is on a 2 year suspension for disciplinary purposes and most of the hockey players have or are planning on transferring to other schools to keep playing club hockey.

Well to be fair I did say they were a longshot, however I wasn't aware of the situation at Winona, that sucks.

2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

As promised here come the Dakota schools…

North Dakota

Minot State University –Beavers – ASU - for the sake of argument here I’m going to be ignoring the unfortunate recent events which cause massive cuts throughout the North Dakota Public University system. Minot state University is the fourth largest institution in the state of North Dakota, however even with that distinction its student body still amounts to just under 4000, the bright side is that the Minot area has around 77,000 people living in it. And I’m not entirely sure that those figures include Minot Air Force Base. This, means that there is a large enough population there to be able to support a college hockey program. Masya Arena has a seating capacity of 1800 people, I’m not sure if there’s any room to possibly expand that level of seating, but this would be sufficient enough for the short term until a new arena could be built with larger seating capacity.  One of the biggest issues Minot would face would be travel expenses.  It should be noted that Minot state does have a very successful ACHA Division I program. So they have the framework with which to build a NCAA Division I squad, it all comes down to getting enough funds scholarships and running the program, while new arena would certainly be nice I don’t think it’s necessary right away.

North Dakota State University- Bison – PSU - This forum has had numerous postings on the potential of North Dakota State adding hockey. North Dakota State right now is so focused on their football program I doubt they would add hockey and less they were given the Penn State sized gift to create a hockey program. I think there is a bit of a chip on the shoulder mentality when it comes to the idea of hockey and NDSU. They play up the idea that NDSU is strictly a football school and there’s no interest in hockey. However, the Fargo-Moorhead area is a hockey town. I think it’s more a matter of just giving them the right incentive. So if somebody wanted to endow an NDSU hockey program, I have a feeling it would do just fine. I also don’t think there would be a problem with both Moorhead State and North Dakota State having Division I hockey programs. If you look at the numbers from other college hockey cities. Minnesota State University in recent years has been able to fill up their building at least 70% full on the majority of nights if not more with a similar population to Moorhead. To be fair, a good chunk of the reason some of those seats are empty is that it’s a U-shaped arena and no one wants to sit on either end of the U. Fargo is at least twice the size of Moorhead and would likely be able to support high turnout for Bison hockey. However, in the current climate, I can’t see North Dakota State University make an actual effort to try and actively get a Division I hockey program. Someone would have to give them a large financial gift to get them to create a hockey program, and I think this would also need to include a new arena. It should be noted that North Dakota state does have men’s and women’s ACHA Division I clubs. From what I understand the Bison men’s club is not particularly good however they do have a very successful women’s club which means if they got enough money they could start both men and women’s hockey programs.

South Dakota

The University of South Dakota – Coyotes – PSU - the University of South Dakota is located in Vermillion South Dakota. The town is pretty small of population of around 10,000, but the large student body of around 9000 helps to make up for that. While the idea of hockey working in Vermillion is by no means stretch, the town itself is similar in size to Bemidji, and student body is much larger Bemidji State, STU faces some challenges to adding Division I men’s hockey. The Coyotes have a club which currently plays in the ACHA. However, they play as a Division III club. Additionally Vermillion does not have any indoor ice, which means the team has to drive to the nearby town of Yankton for the nearest indoor ice. Additionally, this arena and Yankton is not capable of acting even as a temporary home for a Division I University of South Dakota hockey team, so right out the gate the school would need a new arena in Vermillion. Realistically even with the Division III club the University would be starting from scratch and creating a men’s hockey go hopefully the Division III club would help to gauge how interested students might be in seeing a men’s hockey program at the University of South Dakota. I’m going to call this one a long shot as there just doesn’t seem to be as significant a level of interest as at other schools.

South Dakota State University – jackrabbits – ASU - SDSU is not much better off than the University of South Dakota when it comes to creating a hockey program. They do have a facility and the club program. However, like the University of South Dakota, the club program competes at the Division III level. The major advantage that South Dakota State has is that there is an ice arena in the Brookings with seating capacity for 2000, which would make it bigger or on par with many of the smaller East Coast thus a serviceable arena for the program to at least get started in. Another advantage which the state has over University of South Dakota is that Brookings is double the size of around 23,000 people and a student body of 12,000 there would be more than enough people theoretically to come in support a Jackrabbits Division I hockey program. However much like some of the other programs I’ve talked about even though SDSU would have a serviceable arena to start with they would eventually need to move to a new facility with higher capacity especially if they had any designs on joining the NCHC, even the WCHA would likely push for the University to either create a new venue or to make significant renovations to the existing arena. However, the WCHA might be willing to overlook the seating capacity and more basic amenities in the beginning.

Northern State University – wolves – ASU – northern state is similar to Clarkston in the fact that creating a Division I college hockey program would be a long shot at the school. Unlike Crookson the Aberdeen area is a fair bit larger at around 26,000. However, the University has just under 4000 student meeting there would be a particularly large student body to support men’s Division I hockey program. Another factor that would go against northern state creating a D1 men’s hockey program is the lack of an existing club program. While it’s possible that such a program does exist and I’m just not finding it, I haven’t been able to find any website referencing and ACHA club program at Northern State. However, if Northern State University were to create a Division I men’s hockey program there is an arena in town with seating for just under 2000 which could serve as a serviceable home for the men’s hockey program until the facility could either be expanded to increase capacity or an entirely new facility could be built. In all likelihood, northern state would not be a viable candidate for adding a men’s hockey team however they do have some of the infrastructure necessary for doing it and stranger things have happened

Just looking at Public Schools?

If USD started a hockey program it would play out of The Denny in Sioux Falls.  Pretty much every hockey person I have talked to around here believes it would be a hit, including our AD.  That said, it isn't going to happen as USD is too focused on upgrading the sports it currently has at D1.  Football and basketball are the priorities with huge money already dumped into facility upgrades with more huge money to come when the Dome is upgraded and capacity increased.

All that said, if somebody came in with PSU type money and said they would build the arena in Vermillion and endow the program (both men and a corresponding women's program, not necessarily hockey, thinking lacrosse here) then it would happen.  What President & AD is not going to accept the free gift of new programs and assets that won't cost the university anything?

The same applies for SDSU, if somebody came up with massive amounts of cash for the program it would happen.  It isn't going to happen organically though as both schools are focused on basketball in the winter.

Kind of a shame as South Dakota hockey is growing at the youth and high school level and more and more kids are playing.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

If USD started a hockey program it would play out of The Denny in Sioux Falls.  Pretty much every hockey person I have talked to around here believes it would be a hit, including our AD.  That said, it isn't going to happen as USD is too focused on upgrading the sports it currently has at D1.  Football and basketball are the priorities with huge money already dumped into facility upgrades with more huge money to come when the Dome is upgraded and capacity increased.

All that said, if somebody came in with PSU type money and said they would build the arena in Vermillion and endow the program (both men and a corresponding women's program, not necessarily hockey, thinking lacrosse here) then it would happen.  What President & AD is not going to accept the free gift of new programs and assets that won't cost the university anything?

The same applies for SDSU, if somebody came up with massive amounts of cash for the program it would happen.  It isn't going to happen organically though as both schools are focused on basketball in the winter.

Kind of a shame as South Dakota hockey is growing at the youth and high school level and more and more kids are playing.

Thought that Augustana would be better off adding DI hockey than going entirely DI, like it's talking.

That would better cement Augie in the Northern Sun too.  Concordia-St Paul could be another add.  But both are beyond remote. Those schools don't have leadership and donors that even care about hockey.

Speaking of Jamestown and NAIA, read the Wolverine-Hoosier Conference is starting to sponsor hockey under the NAIA banner. The team wills be Indiana Tech, Lawrence Tech, Mich-Dearborn, Aquinas College and Rochester College.  Concordia-Ann Arbor will start one year later.

It would be a good idea for Augie.  For colleges of that size it is all about making a niche.  They are not going to make their niche in D1 basketball with the 4 Dakota schools already there.  Hockey would provide the niche and a great facility is sitting right there for them to use.  Hockey fan base is already built too thanks to the Stampede.

11 hours ago, John W. said:

At least most of you get my point...about 'like minded institutions'..... F S F L is somewhere in the past....fighting the nickname/logo battle!!!!!  It's over F S F L,,,,I'm sure you're too young to remember the GF Central chants of "Redskins Forever"!!!!

Moorhead State did look at D 1 hockey....playing their games in Scheels Arena...10 million start up fee said their Prez....didn't have a 'Ralph' to step up.....yet!!!!

I beg your pardon troll? You were making the point that only "big-time" Division I FBS institutions were likely to add Division I hockey. The other posters are suggesting mainly Division II schools as possible candidates to add hockey.

And FWIW, I was a student at Central when they dropped "Redskins". Any other insipid points you want to make troll?

29 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Penn's Class of 1932 Arena is the perfect size for the ECAC, but the arena could use some updates.

https://secure.pointstreaksites.com/files/uploaded_documents/3782/NEW_Penn_Hockey_Vision_2025.pdf

is this new news? or is this penn stating if they get enough money to endow they will field a team soon?

23 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

is this new news? or is this penn stating if they get enough money to endow they will field a team soon?

Never noticed it before, there is an article that was written at the beginning of last year that talked about NCAA D1 (not sure if was posted on here).

http://www.thedp.com/article/2016/11/penn-club-ice-hockey-feature

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:52 AM, ArchyAlum11 said:

Minnesota

I'd put SMSU dead last in that group.  They tried a petition to bring a mens and womens club team, it got 150 supporters. 

On 2017. 7. 7. at 10:16 PM, Air Force One said:

When did the club program at winona get suspended? I can't see any info about it online, and they are still listed on the ACHA's website.

9 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

When did the club program at winona get suspended? I can't see any info about it online, and they are still listed on the ACHA's website.

Around Christmas break.  School motor pool found a beer bottle cap in one of the vans the hockey team had used for a game and pinned it on the hockey team.

54 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

Around Christmas break.  School motor pool found a beer bottle cap in one of the vans the hockey team had used for a game and pinned it on the hockey team.

You serious?  Had to be looking for an excuse to break them off. Pretty severe penalty for circumstantial evidence.

• Upvote 2