SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

I was and remain under the impression that Notre Dame told the NCHC no thanks, not the other way around.

Of course, that's because you don't follow hockey close enough to understand or remember the details of conference realignment, and you are biased against North Dakota (and it's conference).

You're also a fan of Notre Dame, and there is just no way that they would get shut out of a conference that UND formed.

• Upvote 2

I was and remain under the impression that Notre Dame told the NCHC no thanks, not the other way around.

You're under the wrong impression. The NCHC walked away from Notre Dame when they tried to dictate everything. 

• Upvote 1

The B1G has set an unexpected precedent by adding Johns Hopkins for B1G Lacrosse only. 

Should Notre Dame make serious noise about leaving HEA for the NCHC I'd expect the B1G to make a move. Would it be "hockey only" or would they stick with "all or nothing" with the Domers is the question. 

For other schools they may make an exception, but for Notre dame there is way too much more at stake. I know they did it for johns hopkins, bit the schools/programs are just too different to use that as a precedent. For notre dame it has to be all or nothing or they would have added them for basketball long ago.

I can think of 1.1 billion reasons the Big Ten took in Johns Hopkins.  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/johns-hopkins-again-tops-in-university-research-spending/2013/12/09/6bc681ca-60eb-11e3-bf45-61f69f54fc5f_story.html

Notre Dame would never join the same conference with a school like Michigan and other blue-bloods like Illinois.  The NCHC doesn't have nearly the academic pizazz for them, unless Arizona St joins.

They have a soft spot for Michigan St, because they were also excluded from the Big 10 for a time and became de facto allies, and don't seem to have a problem with Purdue and Ohio St.

Notre Dame fans never forget sleights.  Its a wonder they joined the ACC because they hate Miami with a passion too.

So Notre Dame made demands and the NCHC said no so Notre Dame moved on?

Why don't you try google if it's so important and you don't believe what people tell you?

NCHC: Staying At 8; Sets Stage for Notre Dame to Hockey East

"As previously reported by College Hockey News, Notre Dame was down to Hockey East or the NCHC, and was looking to see which conference would best accomodate its own television package. Essentially, after finally negotiating their deal, it was down to the conferences to say what it would accept. There were also apparently last-minute negotiations to see if Notre Dame and the NCHC could come to an arrangement, owing to Notre Dame's slight preference to play in the NCHC.

“We are very confident with our decision and excited to move forward as a strong eight-team conference,” said Brian Faison"

Notre Dame Hockey Leaving Hockey East For NCHC Rumors Heating Up

That took me less than one minute.

• Upvote 3

I recall a discussion regarding the UND logo.  Notre Dame has issues with that.  Not the former Sioux logo, but the UND one.  Very similar to the ND logo.  Could be a sticking point with coming to the NCHC.

I recall a discussion regarding the UND logo.  Notre Dame has issues with that.  Not the former Sioux logo, but the UND one.  Very similar to the ND logo.  Could be a sticking point with coming to the NCHC.

The interlocking ND that they stole? Yes, that might be embarrassing for them.
  • Upvote 4

Why don't you try google if it's so important and you don't believe what people tell you?

NCHC: Staying At 8; Sets Stage for Notre Dame to Hockey East

Notre Dame Hockey Leaving Hockey East For NCHC Rumors Heating Up

That took me less than one minute.

Perfect. I'm a strong believer in getting other people to do work I don't feel like doing.

Maryland has a big M logo much like Michigan and Minnesota, but they found a way to coexist in the same conference!!  Notre Dame wanted in the NCHC.  But the NCHC didn't want to give them all the power and give in to all their demands.  Similar logos had nothing to do with it.  Not sure where you heard that!! 

Yeah keep telling yourself that. Keep pushing your feelings down.

The guy that says he likes to make other people do work for him, the guy that thinks he's always right, thinks he's better than everyone else. That trolls another fan bases message board just to create conflict.

You wanna hurt other people on here, because you're hurting inside.

It's OK. It's not your fault. Give me a hug.

... Only MafiaMan is allowed to give me hugs.

That said, I am better than you.

Maryland has a big M logo much like Michigan and Minnesota, but they found a way to coexist in the same conference!!  Notre Dame wanted in the NCHC.  But the NCHC didn't want to give them all the power and give in to all their demands.  Similar logos had nothing to do with it.  Not sure where you heard that!! 

I recall an article that quoted Grant Shaft, back in the logo controversy of 1994-2011, where he mentioned that Notre Dame had "concerns with North Dakota's logo" and that was a sticking point with them considering the NCHC (presumably along with the TV contract discussions).  Some postulated that the logo issue was the interlocking ND, and not the Sioux logo that was, by then, already listed as "to be retired".   I'm not saying this was the reason Notre Dame went out East, just mentioning that I recalled the discussion.  Perhaps the issue was over the Sioux logo..IIRC, Mr. Shaft did not elaborate in his statement at the time, merely saying "logo".   

I recall an article that quoted Grant Shaft, back in the logo controversy of 1994-2011, where he mentioned that Notre Dame had "concerns with North Dakota's logo" and that was a sticking point with them considering the NCHC (presumably along with the TV contract discussions).  Some postulated that the logo issue was the interlocking ND, and not the Sioux logo that was, by then, already listed as "to be retired".   I'm not saying this was the reason Notre Dame went out East, just mentioning that I recalled the discussion.  Perhaps the issue was over the Sioux logo..IIRC, Mr. Shaft did not elaborate in his statement at the time, merely saying "logo".   

That discussion was all about the Fighting Sioux logo.  UND and NDU have longstanding mutual understandings on use of their respective logos. There's nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

• Upvote 1

I mean we played against them in hockey in South Bend just three years ago, when we were no longer wearing the Fighting Sioux logo, and when the interlocking ND logo was increasingly being used and marketed by the University.  I  know that the two teams were honoring existing agreements to play each other, but irrespective of that, there was absolutely no beef by NDU at the time when it came to our use of the interlocking logo. I think logo concerns is like problem #99 on NDU's long list of issues when it comes to conference shopping.

I mean we played against them in hockey in South Bend just three years ago, when we were no longer wearing the Fighting Sioux logo, and when the interlocking ND logo was increasingly being used and marketed by the University. I know that the two teams were honoring existing agreements to play each other, but irrespective of that, there was absolutely no beef by NDU at the time when it came to our use of the interlocking logo. I think logo concerns is like problem #99 on NDU's long list of issues when it comes to conference shopping.

why would Notre Dame have a beef using our interlocking ND logo?