SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

Brand name sheeeit

They would never let in a team that would totally dominate their Pig10 conference

& Shame on us if we ever went there from the best conference in College Hockey 

But go ahead College Hockey is the only thing keeping me in Grand Forks & I'm sick of Cold Winters...Losers

I'll just go to Frozen Fours we are in & watch on tv the rest of the year - after 38 yrs of season tickets

• Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 1:22 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$ and prestige.

On 4/14/2017 at 1:24 PM, The Sicatoka said:

You are the company you keep.
Having your name dropped along side the B1G schools is not bad. 

I've set out my "must haves" list for UND should this become more than speculation. 

In this day and age i can understand the lure of $ and association.  I just think we've seen the detrimental effects of busting up a historical conference and the related rivalries and worry what would happen if UND was playing a little 6 schedule instead of the local and historical opponents we are used to.  Couple that with a complete distrust of the Big10 conference.....i would fear being treated like the red headed step child in that conference.  I agree there would need to be iron clad guarantees and i wouldn't even trust them to live up to those.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, dagies said:

In this day and age i can understand the lure of $ and association.  I just think we've seen the detrimental effects of busting up a historical conference and the related rivalries and worry what would happen if UND was playing a little 6 schedule instead of the local and historical opponents we are used to.  Couple that with a complete distrust of the Big10 conference.....i would fear being treated like the red headed step child in that conference.  I agree there would need to be iron clad guarantees and i wouldn't even trust them to live up to those.

UND was in the same league as Minnesota for 62 years. The same league as Wisconsin for 44 years. The same league as Michigan and Michigan State for 30 years each. The same league as Notre Dame for 10 years. Those would all be considered historical opponents. The only 2 schools from the Big 10 that UND hasn't been in a league with are Ohio State and Penn State. Minnesota and Wisconsin are just as local as Duluth, St. Cloud, and Omaha.

As far as NCHC opponents, they have been in the same league as Denver and Colorado College for 66 years each, Duluth for 51, St. Cloud for 27, Omaha for 7, Miami and Western Michigan for 4. UND has plenty of history with schools in both leagues. UND has had more deeply heated rivalries with Minnesota and Wisconsin over the years than with any NCHC schools other than possibly Denver.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

UND was in the same league as Minnesota for 62 years. The same league as Wisconsin for 44 years. The same league as Michigan and Michigan State for 30 years each. The same league as Notre Dame for 10 years. Those would all be considered historical opponents. The only 2 schools from the Big 10 that UND hasn't been in a league with are Ohio State and Penn State. Minnesota and Wisconsin are just as local as Duluth, St. Cloud, and Omaha.

As far as NCHC opponents, they have been in the same league as Denver and Colorado College for 66 years each, Duluth for 51, St. Cloud for 27, Omaha for 7, Miami and Western Michigan for 4. UND has plenty of history with schools in both leagues. UND has had more deeply heated rivalries with Minnesota and Wisconsin over the years than with any NCHC schools other than possibly Denver.

We have rivals in both leagues. Ultimately it will come down to money.  Kennedy can't afford any extra costs at this point. 

That being said, if the offer was going to come this year, I think the Big Ten would have made it before we cuts sports. Now this will probably become a recurring question every year until the Big Ten is at 8.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:10 PM, 82SiouxGuy said:

Get rid of the names of the conferences.  When you look at each of them and where UND fits in it could go either way.  UND has a long history with schools in both conferences.  As far as the most deeply heated rivalries, that would go to Minnesota and Wisconsin.  So if the money lines up and the deal looks good you go to the BIG. 

Unfortunately, UND moving to the BIG would not be good for the whole of college hockey.  More instability. 

On 4/15/2017 at 11:10 PM, 82SiouxGuy said:

You are correct and I knew that, but as I was typing on my phone I left some clarification out.   My mistake.  That said, my point remains.  You win on MN and WI and I agree with you there.   While historically correct on Michigan and Michigan State, only the oldest UND fans remember that.  A live rivalry really doesn't exist with any of those teams with anyone under 50 and many over 50.  Also, other than MN, you have no local game (Duluth, St. Cloud, etc.) which I believe is important to the fan experience.   I think the regionalism of conference affiliation is a big deal for the fan experience, and you'll lose that in the Big10.

But even more than that, I'm concerned that UND would get short shrift in other matters from that arrogant conference.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Get rid of the names of the conferences.  When you look at each of them and where UND fits in it could go either way.  UND has a long history with schools in both conferences.  As far as the most deeply heated rivalries, that would go to Minnesota and Wisconsin.  So if the money lines up and the deal looks good you go to the BIG. 

Unfortunately, UND moving to the BIG would not be good for the whole of college hockey.  More instability. 

Only way UND moves to the BTHC (if they get an invite) is if is worth if for them financially.  B1G would absolutely have to pay the NCHC exit fee.  They would also have to get at least a percentage of B1G Network revenue.  Demanding a  "you can't kick us out" clause as Sic has mentioned probably needs to be in there as well.

As far as instability goes, ?I don't think it would be as big of shakeup as people would say.  Arizona St would be a likely replacement in the NCHC.  I realize their arena situation isn't ideal, but adding them would cause the least amount of shakeup as well as adding another western school for the Colorado schools. 

• Upvote 1

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2017/04/24_D-I-Hockey-at-Illinois-Still.php

On April 11, just days after the Frozen Four concluded at the United Center, Illinois unveiled a new "campus master plan," which included several infrastructure improvements. One of the components of the plan was a new UI Ice Arena, which could be located near Memorial Stadium.

Brown said that new arena was more meant to replace the existing UI Ice Arena, which was built in the 1930s, and doesn't indicate an impending move to Division I for ice hockey. But that doesn't mean plans wouldn't change if Illinois didn't receive a donation that sparked talks of adding a program.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

A top tier club ACHA DI women's hockey league will be formed by the PAC-12, with this tryout camp helping getting recruits:

http://pac8hockey.com/games/2017-pac-8-womens-recruiting-camp/

Surely those schools are not looking to start varsity WIH the same time as men's hockey for Title IX purposes?

I can only find two ACHA teams Arizona State and Colorado.

The Pac-8 is ACHA DII for men's.

Looks to be for 2018.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Announcement coming this evening that 5 schools will receive funding to conduct feasibility study to add D1 hockey. U of Illinois confirmed...what are the other 4?

Speculation time.

USC

Colorado

Stanford

Alabama

UNLV

Rutgers

Iowa/Iowa State

Nebraska

Who else?

University of Minnesota...

;):D

Isn't SiouxVolley throwing around University of Utah as a possibility on another thread?  I would think Oregon with Nike money, could be a possibility.

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

University of Minnesota...

;):D

Isn't SiouxVolley throwing around University of Utah as a possibility on another thread?  I would think Oregon with Nike money, could be a possibility.

The Utah rumor is coming from a Utah fan or what he's been hearing on CSNBBS.

3 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Announcement coming this evening that 5 schools will receive funding to conduct feasibility study to add D1 hockey. U of Illinois confirmed...what are the other 4?

Speculation time.

USC

Colorado

Stanford

Alabama

UNLV

Rutgers

Iowa/Iowa State

Nebraska

Who else?

UNLV as far as I know has done a study. Foley has said he will help fund the team if there are other donors.

Schools with NCAA D1 arenas on or near campus:

Illinois State

Lindenwood

Arizona

Nebraska

Iowa

USC (The Forum)

UCLA (The Forum)

My other 4 would be:

Arizona

Nebraska

Buffalo

Iowa

Rutgers has done nothing to add hockey.

Alabama's head coach is in Chicago at the NHLCA conference.  

• Upvote 1

On 2017. 6. 24. at 5:54 AM, cberkas said:

UNLV is a when at this point, they have numerous options for venues and interest in hockey. Rebel hockey will probably end up finding a conference home before ASU.

Schools with NCAA D1 arenas on or near campus:

Illinois State - Maybe but I kinda of doubt it. The further you get from Chicago the less interest in hockey there is.

Lindenwood - maybe Not sure where they would end up, UNO would Probably like having them, but I doubt anyone in the NCHC would. They would also need a new arena as their current arena only seats 1,000. NCHC would say no, and I think the WCHA would as well.

Arizona - Because ASU hockey has been so successful. ASU I think got a rude awakening from the NCHC as to how much the college hockey world cares about if you are a power five school. ASU still has no credible arena, amateur coaching staff,  and its training facilities for hockey are a joke. ASU will need to prove it can be successful before AU adds hockey.

Nebraska - I know there is a vocal community at Nebraska that wants it. But I doubt you'll see them pony up the money for Husker hockey anytime soon. Plus I bet UNO would love Nebraska coming in and trying to take over in the one sport it had some fame for.

Iowa - Maybe if they can find someone willing to pony up the money.

Alabama- Why? So we can have another travel burden team. I think the WCHA is still regretting adding Alabama Huntsville and giving more travel expenses to there members. Realistically if they are going to do hockey in the south you need five teams plus Alabama Huntsville to create a southern hockey conferance, one that could have a little bit smaller requirements for arenas and facilities, that might make other southern schools a little more interested, but hockey in the south is a longshot, as two failed NHL franchises in atlanta have proven.

• Upvote 1