SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Meh, I like the thought that Faison and Kennedy saw WIH as the financial black hole that it is and they would've prioritized an extra $2 million in revenue toward more important things.  With that said, I believe I remember seeing the B1G hockey schools get an additional $2 million from the BTN over what the other schools get.  If that's correct, does anyone know if that's $2 million total to be split among them or $2 million each?  I think we're all probably overestimating the value the BTN places on hockey.

The B1G has been putting women's hockey on BTN so more money for UND to try and get out of them.

I heard the extra $2 million isn't true.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, petey23 said:

Initially I think it would be huge. Especially in October and November.

UND is playing at Ohio St. and the Buckeyes have a home football game......hmmm

Same holds true for any of these schools. All of them would be fun College football game day experiences to take in while traveling to watch our hockey team take care of business.

tumblr_muiq55QvVn1s1clzao1_400.gif

College Hockey @USCollegeHockey 5h5 hours ago

BREAKING: Illinois next ACHA team to go D1? Univ.'s Master Plan includes new ice arena adjacent to football stadium:

Scott Powers @ByScottPowers 5h5 hours ago

Scott Powers Retweeted College Hockey

Been working on a story about the state's possibility of getting a D-I team. Multiple sources said the Illini are best bet at this point.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-04-12/thinking-ahead-ui-unveils-draft-campus-master-plan.html

I didn't get much out of it other then a plan to move the Ice Arena. Time to wait and see.  

Here's a very excellent piece by Puck Swami at LetGoDU blog about how UND going to the B1G could destroy the NCHC.  He says the Midwest schools will form their own league and DU would be left with CC, Ariz St, and the Alaska schools.  Don't know that it would get that bad for DU, as Minnesota to Miami or Kalamazoo is still a flight.  SCSU and Duluth may still insist on the Pio's.  But if another PAC 12 school starts hockey, EST teams wouldn't want the NCHC.

https://letsgodu.com/2017/03/23/puck-swami-pioneer-hockey-needs-to-win-ncaa-title-now/

15 hours ago, cberkas said:

I didn't get much out of it other then a plan to move the Ice Arena. Time to wait and see.  

And UND's master long-range plan shows a retractable roof football stadium on the site of Memorial. Not sayin', just sayin'. 

PS - Illinois? You mean the State with budgets hurting worse than ND such that they are actually considering closing not sports programs, but schools. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And UND's master long-range plan shows a retractable roof football stadium on the site of Memorial. Not sayin', just sayin'. 

PS - Illinois? You mean the State with budgets hurting worse than ND such that they are actually considering closing not sports programs, but schools. 

Even their master plan doesn't say if the building is a hockey arena and I can't find a proposal to build one where that article says where one will be built. 

I'm waiting to see what Scott Powers writes.

Mike McMahon‏ @MikeMcMahonCHN
I’ll have more in a column on CHN later. But they believe a program would be successful there. It’s not on the radar b/c of finances.

Mike McMahon‏ @MikeMcMahonCHN
Spoke to Illinois Assoc. AD Kent Brown on possibility of UI going D1. Essentially, UI would need a donation similar to PSU for M&W programs.

Illinois is not creating a D1 Men's Hockey Program anytime soon.

all of this is the reason why the big10 is going after und...the odds of schools having alums/friends like ralph and pegula is very very rare...they could wait 20 years and not have the 8th school...und will be the 8th member with the next 18 months...guranteed!

• Upvote 1

On Tue Apr 11 2017 at 7:18 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

worthless rutgers? what the heck has u minny ever done on the national stage other than losing to south dakota and ndsu in football every year?

7 national titles in football only behind Michigan and OSU in the conference. One of the original 7 members in 1896. 18 football Big Ten titles as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

all of this is the reason why the big10 is going after und...the odds of schools having alums/friends like ralph and pegula is very very rare...they could wait 20 years and not have the 8th school...und will be the 8th member with the next 18 months...guranteed!

I'll take that bet 100 times over.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

okay let me rephrase..."what the heck has um minny done RECENTLY on the national stage"...if your pulling up stuff from 1896 your really reaching.

Im not pulling stuff from 1896, just pointing out we're one of the founding members from day 1. That's only true for 6 of the current 14 member institutions. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

okay let me rephrase..."what the heck has um minny done RECENTLY on the national stage"...if your pulling up stuff from 1896 your really reaching.

Whats your definition of recently?  Last B1G title was in 1967; last Nat'l title in 1960.   Thats only 50 and 57 years respectively.;)

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, dagies said:

I admit I haven't paid really close attention to a lot of what has been written for and against UND to Big6, but I don't understand the attraction.

You are the company you keep.
Having your name dropped along side the B1G schools is not bad. 

I've set out my "must haves" list for UND should this become more than speculation. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You are the company you keep.
Having your name dropped along side the B1G schools is not bad. 

I've set out my "must haves" list for UND should this become more than speculation. 

i read your must haves...they seem very reasonable. just hopethe money number goes up!!

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i read your must haves...they seem very reasonable. just hopethe money number goes up!!

... including the late add of the "no ejection" clause? (Have to scroll about four posts down from linked.) 

The estimate is a school like Minnesota will get $43-56 million annually in TV revenues over the next six years.

My 10% of that number is $4.3-5.6 million annually. That's 20-25% of UND's current athletic budget! 

And I just figured out how to spin it: Give us that money or we blame YOU for us having to ax WIH. :D:D:D 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$ and prestige.

The bolded part will never happen. The Little 6 (soon to be 7) will tell us that we will get ZERO dollars from television contracts and merchandise because we are not a "full" member of their precious little frat club and that we should still join them because of the "prestige" of their brand name. And that is when we tell them to pound sand.

In short, it isn't going to happen.

• Upvote 1