SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

Doubtful, but might as well add it to the list.  The PPL center is a brand new 8,400 seat AHL arena that was just built in downtown, Allentown, PA.  This is 20 minutes from Lehigh University.  

Brad said that the PPL center put in a bid to host a regional - not sure who the host team is yet.

Lehigh has a D1 ACHA team

Lehigh plays in the Patriot League with BU, Colgate, Holy Cross, and Army

Lehigh has 1.1 Billion Dollar endowment. 

ppl.JPG

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Doubtful, but might as well add it to the list.  The PPL center is a brand new 8,400 seat AHL arena that was just built in downtown, Allentown, PA.  This is 20 minutes from Lehigh University.  

Brad said that the PPL center put in a bid to host a regional - not sure who the host team is yet.

ppl.JPG

When you see another USHL team host an NCAA regional might as well join the show.

Edit: I was thinking of the USHL Phantoms not Leigh Valley Phantoms.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

So, where is all this "UND to the B1G" or "UND was offered by the B1G" talk that was suppose to happen during the regionals.

Nothing much has happened with it.  This was the last thing mentioned about it.  This is from last saturday.   

Patrick Reusse on ESPN1500 said this morning Big Ten is recruiting North Dakota for Hockey.

This is true...this is what we broke on Feb 14th on this very thread.

But to be more precise....Big Ten AD's of the HCKY schools are recruiting internally in the Big Ten for North Dakota to become the 8th member.

Stay close.

Stay TUNED.

http://www.1500espn.com/shows/saturday-sportstalk/ (link to April 8, hour 1, show is what you want) 

At the 20:36 mark speculation about who the B1G goes after next (all sports).

At the 21:08 mark mention of B1G Hockey and who their target is (and what the hold-up may be*) :whistling:

*Reusse et al floated a number of $5 million of BTN annual revenues. Who knows where they came up with that. 

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

http://www.1500espn.com/shows/saturday-sportstalk/ (link to April 8, hour 1, show is what you want) 

At the 21:08 mark mention of B1G Hockey and who their target is (and what the hold-up may be*) :whistling:

*Reusse et al floated a number of $5 million of BTN annual revenues. Who knows where they came up with that. 

does the "other" und  get anything from the big 10 for hockey or since they have nbc contract they opt for zero and total control of their tv games?

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

does the "other" und  get anything from the big 10 for hockey or since they have nbc contract they opt for zero and total control of their tv games?

Our Lady of South Bend kept their rights to their NBCSN deal so they get nothing. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Reusse just rambles the whole time. Nothing about who will join the B1G in all sports, just hates having worthless Rutgers in the B1G. I didn't hear anything about $5 million, just its going to take a lot of money they don't want to part with. Reusse was just getting his info from the Gopher Illustrated story.

Reusse is hard to listen to and probably should just retire, unless he's better then that normally.

(Did DaveK call in?)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Reusse just rambles the whole time. Nothing about who will join the B1G in all sports, just hates having worthless Rutgers in the B1G. I didn't hear anything about $5 million, just its going to take a lot of money they don't want to part with. Reusse was just getting his info from the Gopher Illustrated story.

Reusse is hard to listen to and probably should just retire, unless he's better then that normally.

(Did DaveK call in?)

worthless rutgers? what the heck has u minny ever done on the national stage other than losing to south dakota and ndsu in football every year?

• Upvote 1

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

worthless rutgers? what the heck has u minny ever done on the national stage other than losing to south dakota and ndsu in football every year?

Reusse was talking about how Rutgers should be kicked out for not wanting to travel it Minnesota last weekend(?) because of a storm out East. It sounded like they all don't care for Rutgers being in the B1G I've heard Rutgers called the B1G's FCS team.

18 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Reusse was talking about how Rutgers should be kicked out for not wanting to travel it Minnesota last weekend(?) because of a storm out East. It sounded like they all don't care for Rutgers being in the B1G I've heard Rutgers called the B1G's FCS team.

kinda ironic considering how many fcs football teams have walked right into tcf stadium and walked out winners

?

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, nodak651 said:

ppl.JPG

Penn State is probably just wanting a home regional.  They want what Fargo gives us.

• Upvote 1

Unless its full membership to the Big ten, then forget it there is no reason to trade the NCHC for a subpar hockey conference with declining numbers. Since I can hear a few of you saying "But what about big ten network revenue?" as an affiliate member Notre Dame get $0.00 from the big ten network, moving to the big ten as hockey affiliate. If the people running big ten hockey actually knew anything about hockey then they would realize that they are trying to get North Dakota to leave the Best hockey league in NCAA hockey for the 2nd worst league in college hockey, and either try and convince the big ten to add UND as a full member, or look for more poachable teams, MNSU or MTU would probably be willing to jump ship on the WCHA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 2017. 3. 9. at 1:24 AM, Yote 53 said:

If I was building this, in that 3rd large space area I would put a hockey dryland training facility and a bar & restaurant/curling facility (if you've been to Fogerty arena in Blaine you can see what I envision there).  If not that then it would be a third sheet of ice.  I'd also make sure there was plenty of locker room space.  A permanent locker rooms for the anchor tenant.  Coach's offices in the home locker room as well as an A/V meeting area for team meetings and film discussion and a trainers room.  A main visitor locker room and 6 other locker rooms with access to shower facilities (think two locker rooms sharing one shower/bathroom facility in between them).  Optional would be two main locker rooms, one for a college/junior team and one for the local high school team.  Suppose I would need a girls HS locker room too.  Whatever the needs there would be ample locker room space and ample storage space.  I've been to too many places that have cramped/inadequate locker rooms and have space wasted on other things that are not important.

Icon is really nice.  I especially like the locker rooms.  Plenty of nice large locker rooms.  The fitness area is a huge plus.  The concourse does have a lot of wasted space though and there is a lot of money spent on concrete in that concourse area with the steps and circular area that amounts to money spent without adding too much to the functionality of the facility.  Yes, there is plenty of space for large crowds to move around but you still have choke points at the entrances to the two arenas and to the upper lounge area.  Plus there could be more seating in the arenas to accommodate larger events.  600 seats fill up pretty quick.  All in all though, I'd certainly take that facility in my community as is.

True, looking at it purely from a hockey program standpoint but depending on where the funding is coming from you have to sell it as more than a hockey specific facility. If you want to get state or local government to help foot the bill they are going to want to be able to use it for concerts and conventions rather than just college hockey. That is where the conference rooms and ballrooms come in.